PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine River Tours - Crystal River

fiona
13-02-2003, 16:21
Manatee, eco, birdwatching, nature, and group tours on the Homosassa river. Included in our tours are lunches and dinners dock side at the Seagrass Pub and Grill on the Homosassa river.

Sunshine River Tours invites you to come swim/snorkel with the Manatees on the Homosassa River near Crystal River and on the Nature Coast. Manatees abound in our 72 degree (year around) spring waters from the months of November through March. Come watch the Manatees frolic.

Sunshine River Tours is a ecotourism guide service located in Homosassa, Florida. In addition to swim and snorkel tours we offer Manatee Boat Tours and River to Gulf of Mexico Tours. You will be thrilled by the glory of nature at it's finest. The Nature Coast is a birdwatcher's and aquatic paradise. You may even catch a glimpse of the endangered Whooping Cranes that winter over in the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge

For further information please call 352-422-0171 and ask for Capt.Mike.
captmike@sunshinerivertours.com
http://www.sunshinerivertours.com/

MsRuthieB
05-04-2003, 09:21
Have you been on this tour? I'm interested in swimming with the manatees, but am trying to locate one that is close to WDW/Orlando area. Would love anyones thoughts on this. Thanks!

orlandobabe
06-04-2003, 00:48
You can see lots of manatee in the Blue Springs Park just north of Orlando at Orange City in the winter months. They allow you to swim in the springs but you are not allowed near or to touch the manatee. I was very surprised to see that you were allowed to swim with them and touch them at Crystal River. Being an endangered species I would have thought it would have been forbidden throughout all of florida.

tinkerbell
07-04-2003, 00:08
Hi,

I swam with the manatees at Crystal River Christmas 1997. It was an amazing experience, but as they were an endangered species I was told that the tour would no longer be operating after that year. It would seem however, that the tourist income is more important than the protection of these lovely creatures. I agree, that people should not be allowed to touch them, or interfere with their natural environment.

I'd reccomend the trip to anyone, it was a great day out, but an early start and home by tea time absolutely shattered! Also saw dolphins! A little over friendly theyw ere, and I ended up with a rather large bruise as a result of them trying to make me 'play'!!