PDA

View Full Version : What Location

Jessica
11-02-2003, 17:11
Please can some one help, we are a family of 14 coming to Florida next year, we want to book a large villa with pool, which is close to Disney and offers transport (ie buses etc to disney), we also want to be within walking distance to shops, and places to eat etc so we can go out each night.
A couple of years ago we stayed at Southern Dunes which was really nice, but the 25 minute drive there and back each day was too stressful for 14 of us and we found there was'nt much going on of an evening.

Therefore I think we want to be looking for somewhere in Kissimmee I'm not sure can some one help please.....

Thank you

Harmony
11-02-2003, 19:13
Most of the villas on www.Orlandovillas.com are within easy reach of shops and places to eat. We are on Crescent Lakes and the drive is only 8/10 mins. I do not personally know of any within walking distance. I suggest you do an enquiry and see who has availability for when you wish to go. You can check where their villas are by looking at the map available from the main web page.

Good luck with your planning.

Jeff

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-02-2003, 01:51
Hi Jessica

To echo Jeff's comments - Americans do not walk to the shops or restaurants everyone drives. A Florida villa holiday means that you can experience the real Floridian way of life and live the American dream for the couple of weeks that you are there. Villas tend to be on communities where there is a mix of holiday/vacation lets and residential homes. Shops and restaurants are within a few minutes drive as are the main attractions. To enjoy a villa holiday you will need to hire a vehicle there are 15 seaters self drive mini-buses available or probably better two 8 seaters to add more flexibe.

Can I ask why the drive home was stressful?

Personally, we love the drive back home each evening and combine it with a stop at the restaurants or nip into Publix for some groceries (including to-die-for key lime pie).

Before leaving the parks you could dial ahead to the take out desk at your favourite restaurant and swing by on the way home and collect your meal. Alternatively you could dial out for a take-away to be delivered to your villa.

Most villa owners are able to give you details of short-cuts or routes that the locals use and Management Companies too can advise or detail routes in the villa information pack. For instance we never go into Disney down the 192 but use a toll road 50 cents well spent.

Hope this is of help

Sarah

esprit
12-02-2003, 02:35
Lindfields is possibly within walking distance to shops? But none of the estates are really on a bus route to Disney. I think Windsor Palms might do a shuttle service???

fiona
12-02-2003, 03:44
Much as I hate to say this, if you want to be walking distance of bars and shops you probably need to look at staying in a hotel on International Drive. They will also probably have a bus service to the theme parks.

We're only a couple of miles to Disney but the whole complex is so HUGE you have to drive. We're also only a mile from the Formosa Gardens Shopping Plaza with restaurants and a supermarket. It's a couple of minutes in the car, and as Sarah says walking is not part of the American culture in the Orlando area!

Whenever we've visited the parks by the time we get back we've all eaten and are so tired we just pile into bed. Sorry, that's after we've had a dip in the pool to cool off and a swim:).

orlandobabe
14-02-2003, 07:56
As you're going to need a 7 bed villa-it might be a good idea to send out a general enquiry to all 7 bed owners and then see which locations they are situated on.

Then you can take it from there

phil moloney
16-02-2003, 03:15
My next door neighbour last year had forgotten to bring his driving licence, so he took a taxi. The villa he stayed in was at the begining of the 27 so it wasn't so far a taxi ride. On balance the comfort and price of the villa compared with a hotel left him in a position to afford a taxi. With 14 of you in a home it will be much more economical to use a taxi than to book a hotel with all the added comforts of the villa. My experience of people staying where they can avail of transport easily is not just the basic extra expence of a hotel but also the price of breakfast in the local diner for 14, etc, etc! Expensive!
Phil