PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft hire in Orlando/Sanford?

Courtman
10-02-2003, 17:01
Hello!

Just come back from the States and now want to go back and do some flying. We will be going back October time and want to hire an aircraft and fly around Florida (down to Keys, Miami, possibly even north of Orlando too). Where can we go to hire an aircraft? Orlando-Sanford would be first choice, coz that's where we'll fly into...

I'll fly just about anything, my wife is training at the moment on a PA28 and should have got a fair number of qualified hours by then. I'd quite like to hire an Cherokee Arrow, something a little 'hot' but familiar enough that she can do differences training on it quickly.

Your recommendations greatly appreciated

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-02-2003, 17:04
Welcome to the forums Courtman!

Have you tried our flying in Florida section at http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26 ?

Courtman
10-02-2003, 17:39
Yep, not much there on recommended flying schools. Tips on places to go would be great as well if anyone can help...

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-02-2003, 18:13
Hi again

I've always rented from Kissimmee Aviation at (you've guessed it) Kissimmee Municipal. I get a C172 that is in good condition for around $60 per hour wet.

At home I own and fly a Piper Arrow (see below) based at Barton near Manchester. I have to admit to getting frustrated with the C172 in Florida as it's so slow compared with the Arrow and not half as much fun (why drive a slow mini when you can drive a fast sports car:D).

/forums/Data/200321014643_gawfj.jpg

I believe Orlando Flight Training (advertise in the back of all pilot magazines) have an Arrow or two for hire but they are not that cheap ($105 per hour wet last time I asked) if that suits you.

We have done the tourist tour of Kennedy Space Center - 500 foot flypast over the visitors center and shuttle landing runway - which was awesome - not sure if they still allow this post 911 - probably not.

Also landed at Sanford once which was the busiest frequency I have ever had to talk to on the radio - I was hard pressed to get a word in and certainly did not get chance to read back clearances - you are just expected to comply.

I hear the trip down to Key West is great too - we plan to do that one day.

Other great place to visit is Cedar Key. Runway is like landing on an aircraft carrier - very short and water at both ends (see picture below). When you initially call on Unicom the local taxi firm comes on air and asks if you want a ride into town. I'm told you can get some really good seafood there.

/forums/Data/2003210141623_cedarkey.jpg

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask away with any other questions you have.

sandi
12-02-2003, 02:59
Try www.sunstateaviation.com - they offer 2 C172SPs for $105/hr , C182 FOR $145 or C152 for $59. All aircraft are immaculate.

If you want something a bit quicker try the TF-51 Mustang (2 seater) for $3700/hr (so I am told) also based at Kissimmee

Sandi

sandi
12-02-2003, 03:01
John,

I should have added to my last message your Arrow looks great.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-02-2003, 13:52
Thanks Sandi :D:D:D.

If only the good weather would come sooner, as I'm dying to get out for a good loing flight!

caroline
12-02-2003, 14:11
How far afield do you fly John?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-02-2003, 14:57
Caroline:

I've been all over the Uk and even to France for lunch which was really nice (plus a great way to bring duty free back :)).

Some of the other members of our group recently took the Arrow down through France and Spain to tour round Morocco. It's also been to Norway, Denmark, Poland, Czekoslovakia, Germany, Belguim.

I can do Manchester to the middle of France in one hop :D.

caroline
12-02-2003, 15:35
In that case theres an open invitation for lunch if you ever fancy a flight down our way:)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-02-2003, 15:37
Sounds like a nice idea Caroline. I'll let you know when I'm next down that way :).

flyrr100
01-11-2004, 20:11
I used to Flight Instruct in Nevada. We'd get UK pilots all the time checking out in our aircraft. You have to get your UK cert converted to a US cert. It used to be real easy. Just a trip to the local FAA office. They'd give you a Private Pilot's Certificate.

lgordon6041
02-11-2004, 11:59
What licenses do you have John? Along with my military quals I got a PPL after I completed my basic flying training.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-11-2004, 12:27
A UK PPL(A), FAA PPL(A) and a lapsed IMC Rating (keep meaning to revalidate this as I loved the precision of instrument flying).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lgordon6041
What licenses do you have John? Along with my military quals I got a PPL after I completed my basic flying training.
[/quote]

RIS
08-01-2005, 14:55
Hi Jeff

I remember going to the local FAA office cos I had a spare few mins. Showing my UK ATPL and being given a US CPL endorsed for A320 B737 B757 B767 and various light twins. But was told that I could only use it for private flying. Interesting, now where would you hire a private B767-300ER ?

flyrr100
09-01-2005, 02:24
Roger.
I guess just call Delta and find out the rates for the aircraft and one first officer.
Or go to the Arizona Desert. Hundreds of old Boeings parked everywhere!
Wish I could help but I'm a lowley Regional Jet Captain. EMB145.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-01-2005, 02:38
Who do you fly for Roger?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
Hi Jeff

I remember going to the local FAA office cos I had a spare few mins. Showing my UK ATPL and being given a US CPL endorsed for A320 B737 B757 B767 and various light twins. But was told that I could only use it for private flying. Interesting, now where would you hire a private B767-300ER ?
[/quote]

LiesaAnna
09-01-2005, 14:37
just wanted to stick my nose in here, this really is interesting reading! really, very impressive stuff!! keep going...........

09-01-2005, 15:05
Hi Jeff

[/quote]

If you find out where you can hire a 767 let me know!!!LOL!! I used to fly on them as cabin crew I have also flown 757, 737, Trident, Viscounts (I know it was along time ago) 1-11's and of course Concorde [msnwink]

P.S had some flying lessons on a Cessna too!!

RIS
11-01-2005, 22:18
Hi John

I'm a Capt. on the 757 for Thomas Cook.

12-01-2005, 00:12
Hi John

I'm a Capt. on the 757 for Thomas Cook.
[/quote]

Hi Roger,

Where are you based? I was based at LHR for 18 years and MAN for 3 years, I loved the 757 except the ETOPS or was it ETROPS??? which ocassionally was used on the MAN-JFK route, Im still mad about all things flying!!!LOL[msnwink]

RIS
12-01-2005, 15:22
Hi guys

Jeff there’s nothing lowly about a Regional Jet Capt. Probably a lot more fun than spending hours and hours in the cruise.

Lucy I’m based at LGW. I’ve been there since 1987. ( probably time for a change! )