PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed

sonofsos
06-03-2005, 21:50
We are going to Florida in July for just over 3 weeks and we need some help with planning and places to stay.

Our first night we are staying in the airport hotel in Miami so that we can set of the next day fresh and relaxed.

We then have 7 nights before we have to be in Orlando for the villa we booked.

I was thinking 3 nights around the Keys, 2 nights at Naples and 2 nights at Clearwater. Also after the villa in Orlando for 2 weeks we have one night to spend on our way back to Miami.

Any ideas on places and hotels to stay in would be greatly appreciated.

Or would we be better just going and deciding were to stay day by day.

Thanks Baz

andrewmckay5
06-03-2005, 22:09
Baz,
to save on the driving a bit you could head straight to the gulf from Miami( about 2 to 3 hours) and use the link below to get to Key West for a couple of nights:
www.keywestshuttle.com
andrew

Katys Grandad
06-03-2005, 22:21
With your planned itinerary you might find half the week is spent in the car. If you left the Keys for another time then you could spend some decent time in Naples and Clearwater.

E. Cosgrove
06-03-2005, 23:00
I would agree, the keys and the Gulf Coast are in opposite directions, seems an awful lot of driving. I have yet to "do" the keys for this very reason.

Aiminghigh
06-03-2005, 23:36
Sonofsos-I have sent you a dm as we did a very similar trip

Ruth
08-03-2005, 00:25
Hi Baz, we love the Gulf coast and now like to spend some of every trip there relaxing. I would recommend you find an area that suits you, rent a private villa there and use it as a base for exploring all the Gulf coast has to offer:)

Ray&Sarah
08-03-2005, 01:22
Two weeks in Orlando in a villa followed by a week on the Gulf Coast in a villa would be heaven, the third week being for relaxing at the beach or by the pool at the villa. Then save the keys for another time, a good excuse to go back to Florida.[msnsmile2]

linda allen
08-03-2005, 02:09
Baz,
I personally would not miss the Keys. Half the fun is the drive on the 7 mile bridge. Key West has a charm and uniqueness that would be a shame to miss.
Key Largo is not that far a drive from Miami, we have spent a few days there in the past, and you can swim with the dolphins.
Then head on to Key West, I think it is fantastic.
I love the gulf coast too, but Key West is worth a visit IMHO.

Ruth
08-03-2005, 02:34
We have been to the Keys on several occasions, we learnt to dive there and I swum with dolphins at 3 different locations. However if you have young children I would avoid the keys until they are older and stick to the Gulf coast which is a lot better for children in my opinion:)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda allen
Baz,
I personally would not miss the Keys. Half the fun is the drive on the 7 mile bridge. Key West has a charm and uniqueness that would be a shame to miss.
Key Largo is not that far a drive from Miami, we have spent a few days there in the past, and you can swim with the dolphins.
Then head on to Key West, I think it is fantastic.
I love the gulf coast too, but Key West is worth a visit IMHO.
[/quote]

Clare R
10-03-2005, 02:32
You have to realise the distances you are travelling. The Keys to Naples is a very long way. The first part of the Keys is not particularly interesting you have to get down to the furthest third of the Keys before they become really nice. Miami to Key West is 155 miles and there is one road there and one road back!! Miami to Naples along Alligator Alley is a good 2 hour drive, with rest areas only near the Miami end. Make sure you have plenty of fuel for the trips.

Naples is very nice, expensive. Clearwater is real family seaside. Naples to Clearwater unless you just dash up the I75 is about a 4 hour trip.

Ruth
10-03-2005, 02:47
We like Key Largo best of all the Keys and like Key West the least although the drive from top to bottom is lovely;)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunstatevilla
The first part of the Keys is not particularly interesting you have to get down to the furthest third of the Keys before they become really nice. [/quote]

vonny
24-03-2005, 20:36
I agree about the drive to the keys and then Naples it is a very long way between the two the drive from Miami to Naples is 2 to 3 hours but worth it, Naples is gorgous and I found it quite reasonable for eating. There are expensive eataries and meadiocre ones you must try the Docks restauraunt which is right on the docks. There are some good condos you can rent there which are good value look on [name edited] and if you decide to go in a motel which we did the first time we went go to the garage and get one of the discount booklets that have a load of motels and hotels with money off and they do make good bargains we stayed in The Best Western in Naples for 3 nights for $35.99 a night bargain. Have a brill time Vonny

becbecs
25-03-2005, 23:59
Hi There

I can personally recommed Longboat Key Sarasota [clap], All I can say is paradise, Resturants out of this world. Sea perfect.

We stayed in 2003 after 2 weeks at the parks, All i can say was we needed it.
Booked through Virgin and stayed at the Loagboat Key Hilton right next to the beach.

If you go check out Hemmingways restaurant at St Armands Circle (the Key Lime Pie is to die for :D) and also the Dry Dock Waterfront Grill the Best Steaks :D I have ever had.

Good look with your choice and let me know what the Keys are like as we are there in August for a bit of Scuba Diving.

julieanne
26-03-2005, 00:14
I certainly agree with you Fraser - I think that area is paradise too [msnsmile2]

Been to Hemingways many times but not the Dry Dock waterfront - where exactly is it??

becbecs
26-03-2005, 14:55
Hi Julie

Here we go from St Armands Circle head up Loatboat Key, I would say about 1/2 - 1 mile.
The Dry Dock Restaurant is on your right. Its behind a huge boat hanger where the locals store there boats while there away. From memory its a small sign for the restaurant and you can't see it from the road side. To dine outside you will be overlooking the Sea between Longboat Key and Sarasota. Hope its still there as we thought this was the pick of the Restaurants [clap] on the Key.

We have an address
[:P]
Dry Dock Grill & Restaurant
412 Gulf of Mexico Drive
At the Boat House Marina
Longboat Key
Florida

Its very sad having the address I know, we also brought back the little takeaway menu,s they provide from here and Hemmingways also. Now thats even sadder [msnembarrased]

Good Look

In Finding it

julieanne
28-03-2005, 02:03
Fraser - I have takeaway menus for all sorts of places - it's not sad - just brings back many happy memories ;)

Thanks for that info - will look it up next time I'm there :)

becbecs
28-03-2005, 15:41
Hi Julie

Many many happy memories, hope to go back there myself some day soon.

sonofsos
28-03-2005, 18:11
Update:

Having read all the replies and other topics we have desided to give the Keys a miss this year and we booked a villa on the Gulf Coast instead. I was really looking forward to seeing the Keys but the rest of the family would rather relax at a villa.
Then again it also gives me an excuse to book Florida for next year.[msnwink]