PDA

View Full Version : Which one would you rather have?

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 05:18
If you had enough funds to buy a top-of-the-range 4x4 vehicle (you are not allowed to keep the money or use it otherwise!;)) which of these would it be?

brizzle
06-03-2005, 10:44
Voted for the Range Rover as the Hummer would be way too big for some of the UK streets I navigate (not to mention too big for the garage!).
I haven't checked but the fuel bill will surely be a lot bigger in the Hummer; they also look ugly and too overstated IMHO.

Brizzle.

Cruella DeVilla
06-03-2005, 12:31
Hummer:D

Newhomebuyer
06-03-2005, 12:47
I chose Hummer because if I am pretending that I can buy it, I can also pretend that I can afford to run it and I keep it at my villa in the states for my personal use.
[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 12:52
I'd like a Hummer too. I agree with Brizzle that it is ugly and slab-sided, but that's what makes it attractive - in a sort of Miriam Margolyes fashion. But above all the Hummer has got character - something the bland and boring Range Rover would never have.

Perhaps I should have said "driving in America" where the roads are better and fuel bills not as high as the UK. Brizzle is probably right in thinking that the bill will be higher for the Hummer, but the V8 engine on the RRV is not exactly known for its economy either.

brizzle
06-03-2005, 13:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I'd like a Hummer too. I agree with Brizzle that it is ugly and slab-sided, but that's what makes it attractive - in a sort of Miriam Margolyes fashion. But above all the Hummer has got character - something the bland and boring Range Rover would never have.

Perhaps I should have said "driving in America" where the roads are better and fuel bills not as high as the UK. Brizzle is probably right in thinking that the bill will be higher for the Hummer, but the V8 engine on the RRV is not exactly known for its economy either.
[/quote]

Ah, now that's different.
In the UK when I see one I just think it looks so out of place and brash. It kind of says look at me I have so much money I can afford to waste it on petrol. I'd buy something still good quality wise but a little more understated.

It suits America so it would be a closer call.
The wider roads seem to make it blend in more, that and the fact that even the small cars are B-I-G...

I can just imagine taking it down some of the South West country roads...although if you met someone coming the other way you could just hop into the field, pass them and carry on :)

Brizzle.

dodgey memory
06-03-2005, 13:18
I wouldn't have either of them even if I was given one. Pedestrian killers both of them, why any one wants to drive such an enormous car is beyond me. You know what they say big car little ****. (Guess who didn't get a lot of sleep last night!) Teresa

06-03-2005, 13:35
Porsche Cayenne Turbo for me please!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mach 2/20053693527_Cayenne.jpg

WR1
06-03-2005, 13:54
BMW X5 :D

WR.

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 15:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by WR1
BMW X5 :D

WR.
[/quote]

Now there is a great vehicle, esp in its 4.8-Litre 'is' guise. But storage capacity is a bit limited and it (as well as the Porsche Cayenne) seems too sophisticated to drive around the Rockies or Utah Flats. The Hummer seems more down to earth and practical.

Cruella DeVilla
06-03-2005, 15:46
I am seriously toying with buying a Lotus in the next few weeks......problem is we are hopefully moving to the US in 30 months or so and I am not sure it is a wise decision. Got the cash just don't think it is the sensible thing to do....then again when was I ever sensible when it came to pretty things!

luckylady
06-03-2005, 16:49
If I could have one in England it would have to be a Dodge Durango
We have thought of shipping one over but because they are petrol driven the cost to run would be heavy
So would have to be a Range Rover Vogue
Barbara

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 17:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
when was I ever sensible when it came to pretty things!
[/quote]

But Mr CDV is, as he proved all these years? ;);)

Cruella DeVilla
06-03-2005, 18:10
when was I ever sensible when it came to pretty things!
[/quote]

But Mr CDV is, as he proved all these years? ;);)
[/quote]

[8)][8)]Aw Shucks

athurstance
06-03-2005, 19:19
I want a Volvo XC90.

E. Cosgrove
06-03-2005, 19:25
Hubby is trying to persuade me to have a BMW X3.....the X5 is far too big for me. My problem is that some of the places I have to leave it ( you know where I mean Arun!)I might just come back and find it on bricks!!![msnoo]

chrizzy100
06-03-2005, 19:28
We nearly got a DeLorean when we first moved over ....mostly because the kids watch too many films......I now wish I had got it ....it would be intersting to have one in Orlando........apart from that I have not interest in cars......they just get me from A to B......

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 19:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Hubby is trying to persuade me to have a BMW X3.....the X5 is far too big for me. My problem is that some of the places I have to leave it ( you know where I mean Arun!)I might just come back and find it on bricks!!![msnoo]
[/quote]

I know what you mean, Liz. But most new cars now come with locking wheelnuts that are very difficult, if not impossible even for the Penhill 'mechanics' to breach. Go on, indulge yourself:).

WR1
06-03-2005, 22:37
I am seriously toying with buying a Lotus in the next few weeks......problem is we are hopefully moving to the US in 30 months or so and I am not sure it is a wise decision. Got the cash just don't think it is the sensible thing to do....then again when was I ever sensible when it came to pretty things!
[/quote]

Which of the Lotus models were you thinking of buying CDV.

WR.

Snapper
06-03-2005, 23:00
Hummer for me please. I'd just love one for roaming around the off-road trails over in Utah. The closest I get is taking one of the off-road Hummer tours ...

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Snapper/20053619026_009_NC_1.JPG

LiesaAnna
07-03-2005, 00:24
Hubby said i can buy a hummer to be different!! wouldnt normally ask him, my car is a trusty old mondeo L reg!! dont care what it looks like as long as i can do school run! A-B, but if we won the chance to have one of the above it would be HUMMER H1 ALPHA [msnwink]

daisy
07-03-2005, 00:36
would have to opt for the BMW X5 if was in a position to buy one i think they are fab have to say i have seen one with a big simpsons sticker on the bumper and was horrified that someone would do that to such a nice car !
if not a 4x4 a mercedes SLK please

Ray&Sarah
07-03-2005, 00:57
I voted for a Range Rover but my oldest son would prefer the Hummer, he just loves those cars.[msnsmile2]

KJH
07-03-2005, 03:48
I want the new Pathfinder out this month. Having been in a Hummer, we didn't think too much of the space, plus it's too big for most UK roads.

At the moment I drive a Navarra 4 x 4. The passenger space has become to cramped for the children so it's time to change this year.

Kaz

Nostromo
07-03-2005, 11:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJH
I want the new Pathfinder out this month.
Kaz
[/quote]

Sorry if this is a dampener, but the reviews on the Nissan Pathfinder have not been brilliant. It was described as an "underpowered slug" in some auto magazines.

Cruella DeVilla
07-03-2005, 12:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daisy
would have to opt for the BMW X5 if was in a position to buy one i think they are fab have to say i have seen one with a big simpsons sticker on the bumper and was horrified that someone would do that to such a nice car !
if not a 4x4 a mercedes SLK please
[/quote]

We looked at buying a CLK last year but Mr CDV decided it was not for him and bought the American car instead (Crown Victoria). For some reason it turns heads everytime we go out in it.[msneek]

Nostromo
07-03-2005, 13:47
We looked at buying a CLK last year but Mr CDV decided it was not for him and bought the American car instead (Crown Victoria). For some reason it turns heads everytime we go out in it.[msneek]
[/quote]

Are you sure it is the car that is turning heads CDV? ;);)

LiesaAnna
07-03-2005, 15:08
is the hubby a dish then?[msnwink]

pieman790
07-03-2005, 15:27
I opted for the Hummer only as i think they are differant to a normal 4x4.
Personally i dont like 4x4 and i hate it when i do the school run as there are too many parents taking their kids to school in 4x4. They take up so much space and they are not designed for school runs or runs to the shops.

Cruella DeVilla
07-03-2005, 16:34
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunatley Arun it is the car:D. I joked with him that he should put on a suit and Cap and I would sit in the back and he could drop me off in the shopping district I so love in Dusseldorf as it is dead posh! Didn't do it though, would have been a laugh as they are all so pretentious!

[laugh][laugh][laugh]Oh I must get out more!

Cruella DeVilla
07-03-2005, 16:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
is the hubby a dish then?[msnwink]
[/quote]

Smasher! Especially in a suit.

WR1
07-03-2005, 17:01
[/quote]

WR.
[/quote]

We looked at buying a CLK last year but Mr CDV decided it was not for him and bought the American car instead (Crown Victoria). For some reason it turns heads everytime we go out in it.[/quote]

Hi CDV I've DM'd you this one maybe you did not get it.

LiesaAnna
07-03-2005, 17:01
ooooooooh feel the need for a photo![msnwink] about time we were introduced to lots of you that post on here!

Cruella DeVilla
07-03-2005, 17:07
ooooooooh feel the need for a photo![msnwink] about time we were introduced to lots of you that post on here!
[/quote]

OK, maye post some when we get back from the States;)

Cruella DeVilla
07-03-2005, 17:12
William this is the baby,

www.grouplotus.com/car/car_product.php?id=2&mid=11

Although suspect it is out of my league and will have to go for the Elise or maye the non race car version of the Exige!

www.grouplotus.com/car/car_product.php?id=2&mid=4

www.grouplotus.com/car/car_product.php?id=1&mid=1

Oh I want it now!

LiesaAnna
07-03-2005, 17:12
ok looking forward to that
(sorry gone off abit)[msnwink]

chrizzy100
07-03-2005, 17:34
I was trying to think about a car.. any car I would like and came up with a Bentley.....my Great Aunt had a new one every year.....and I still remember the smell of the car when her driver took me and my nan home after s visit....she also had an old Rolls for Sunday drives..and I loved opening and closing the door.....I still do it when I come across a Rolls for sale.....I may end up with an old style Jag when we move to FL.....

I'm not a fan of the Hummer.....unless its a real one done up......when Arnie is in town its funny to see his take up 3 parking spaces....and it makes all the others on the Cape look like cheap toys......

07-03-2005, 18:09
[/quote]

Liesa maybe we should start a photo thread to get everyone to post photo of themselves, be great to put names to faces[msnsmile2]

Forum Members Mug Shots!!

Cruella DeVilla
07-03-2005, 18:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
[/quote]

Liesa maybe we should start a photo thread to get everyone to post photo of themselves, be great to put names to faces[msnsmile2]

Forum Members Mug Shots!!
[/quote]

Ah we have one already;)

Nostromo
07-03-2005, 19:52
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunatley Arun it is the car:D. I joked with him that he should put on a suit and Cap and I would sit in the back and he could drop me off in the shopping district I so love in Dusseldorf as it is dead posh! Didn't do it though, would have been a laugh as they are all so pretentious!

[laugh][laugh][laugh]Oh I must get out more!
[/quote]

Those Germans! They probably wouldn't notice anything unless it is on 4 wheels!

djdigitald
07-03-2005, 19:59
Voted for the Hummer as i drove one while i was there in November but i would choose a Streched Lincoln Navigator over the Hummer any day [clap]

Nostromo
07-03-2005, 20:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by djdigitald
Voted for the Hummer as i drove one while i was there in November but i would choose a Streched Lincoln Navigator over the Hummer any day [clap]
[/quote]

I admit that the Lincoln Navigator looks big, roomy and luxurious, but it is too staid and gentlemanly to be driven like a real 4x4. Now the Hummer H1 Alpha looks tougher and more outdoor - the kind I would like.

blue nose
07-03-2005, 22:21
The new Audi Q7.in royal blue[msnwink]quality not quantity.

KJH
07-03-2005, 23:24
Nostromo. I don't know which mags you read, but every review I have read has nothing but praise for it. The Navarra I have now isn't slow by any means and the Pathfinder engine is the upgrade on the Navarra and its a lot faster than this.

I leave most people standing at the lights including BMW's and no I am not a girl racer, the car just pulls away very quickly.

Kaz

WR1
08-03-2005, 00:21
Nostromo. I don't know which mags you read, but every review I have read has nothing but praise for it. The Navarra I have now isn't slow by any means and the Pathfinder engine is the upgrade on the Navarra and its a lot faster than this.

I leave most people standing at the lights including BMW's and no I am not a girl racer, the car just pulls away very quickly.

Kaz
[/quote]

Have a look at this link the 05 Pathfinder seems to come off vwell.

WR.
http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=1358

sunseeker
08-03-2005, 00:59

Although suspect it is out of my league and will have to go for the Elise or maye the non race car version of the Exige!

Oh I want it now!
[/quote]

Lotus = Loads Of Trouble Usualy Serious [msnsmile2]

As for the 4x4, it would have to be a Land Cruiser Amazon

Dave

WR1
08-03-2005, 01:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker

Oh I want it now!
[/quote]

Lotus = Loads Of Trouble Usualy Serious [msnsmile2]

As for the 4x4, it would have to be a Land Cruiser Amazon

Dave
[/quote]

Not so the Elise and now with the 111R WOW:D:D but then you've got to drive it to believe it.[msnwink]

WR.

sunseeker
08-03-2005, 01:39
Oh dear WR, it's just a Rover in disguise, albeit a pretty one.
I have driven one or two. [msnwink]

Dave

WR1
08-03-2005, 01:47

Dave
[/quote]

You obviously haven't driven enough!! - The whole idea of the 111R is it doesn't have the K series Rover engine but a new Toyota engine with Toyota 6 speed gearbox. Show me a Toyota you have a serious problem with...

WR.

Nostromo
08-03-2005, 01:51

Kaz
[/quote]

Autocar. I like their reviews because they mention what they percieve as good and bad points. I stress that I have not driven a Pathfinder, but the review said that it compared very favourably with its competitors except for the engine. They said this twice very specifically and I was only quoting them. See for yourself.

sunseeker
08-03-2005, 02:05

Dave
[/quote]

You obviously haven't driven enough!! - The whole idea of the 111R is it doesn't have the K series Rover engine but a new Toyota engine with Toyota 6 speed gearbox. Show me a Toyota you have a serious problem with...

WR.
[/quote]

Mine, it had a new gearbox after 1500 miles [msnmad] not up to Toyota's usual standard. I own a Toyota because they are so reliable. Perhaps Lotus will improve too [msneek] I must admit they are great fun to drive. Wouldn't part with my hard earned on one tho.

Dave

djdigitald
08-03-2005, 12:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by djdigitald
[/quote]

I admit that the Lincoln Navigator looks big, roomy and luxurious, but it is too staid and gentlemanly to be driven like a real 4x4. Now the Hummer H1 Alpha looks tougher and more outdoor - the kind I would like.
[/quote]

Agree with you there mate but how many people actually use a 4x4 for what it is supposed to be used for nowadays?

Nostromo
08-03-2005, 14:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by djdigitaldAgree with you there mate but how many people actually use a 4x4 for what it is supposed to be used for nowadays?
[/quote]

You're right Djdigitald, at least for the UK. But one gets more opportunity to do some real "4x4ing" in America.

djdigitald
08-03-2005, 14:36

You're right Djdigitald, at least for the UK. But one gets more opportunity to do some real "4x4ing" in America.
[/quote]

Yep certainly some very good places over there to make real use of a 4x4 [msnsmile2]

Lyn
10-03-2005, 03:00
I voted Hummer as my son (who is 17 and just passed his test - 1st time) wuld be sooooooooooo jealous, I would become the coolest mum in his eyes.[clap]

brizzle
10-03-2005, 13:47
No offence to anyone intended, got this a while ago and made I larf :

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/brizzle/200531094720_4x4.jpg

chrizzy100
10-03-2005, 17:07
brizzle that is so true......people sometimes buy cars for all the wrong reasons......and mostly its to show they have more money then brains........:D[}:)]

LiesaAnna
10-03-2005, 17:22
well i got neither so there we go!
me old banger L reg mondeo, diesel till something better comes along!

chrizzy100
10-03-2005, 17:38
well i got neither so there we go!
me old banger L reg mondeo, diesel till something better comes along!
[/quote]

My kids do up old cars.....so 2 of the cars we have are over 20 years old...I think mine is 12 years old...and hubbys is now 5 but we've had it from new and it still looks new.......

Our Mark was a car designer for a few large companies....he designed the doors for Lotus and lamborghini....and was given one from each company....but he drove an old MG that had seen better days......I think his famlies sold both of the other cars after his crash with only around 300 miles on the clocks of both cars in over 2 years........

LiesaAnna
10-03-2005, 17:45
very nice chrizzy! mine looks like an ol banger! starting to drive like an ol banger, only tend to go shopping or school run in mine, would like to have a newer one but would also like a villa in florida![msnwink]
it aint gonna happen, when i went out of my home yesterday i found on the kerbside someone had made a nasty scuff on the side at the rear orange! not nice, but if it were new and some one did that i would be so upset!!!
hubby's a mechanic he will maintain the cars we all have but he wont clean them!1 the cheek!!!! i have to do everything around here!!!

WR1
10-03-2005, 22:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
No offence to anyone intended, got this a while ago and made I larf :

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/brizzle/200531094720_4x4.jpg
[/quote]

I just wonder if the guy who wrote this can actully afford one himself.[msnwink]

WR.

domster
12-03-2005, 20:15
BMW X5

CarolAnn
13-03-2005, 01:29
Not too hot on car names, but I like the Mercedes 4x4(silver), and my friend has just bought a Volvo 4x4 which is nice and I quite like the VW one that I have seen floating about too:) If i lived in Florida, think I would be drawn to the Hummer though[msnwink]

trevlad
13-03-2005, 02:51
black x5, just ahead of jeep or volvo. mind i do like the sr5 we get in florida. i think thats our landcruiser??

Nostromo
13-03-2005, 12:34
I test drove the Volvo XC90 and did not particularly like its handling. The power-steering in particular seemed unresponsive around corners with a slight understeer - a potential problem in UK's narrow country roads.

trevlad
13-03-2005, 14:58
on the upside, if your gonna crash - best be in a volvo[msnwink]

brizzle
13-03-2005, 16:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
on the upside, if your gonna crash - best be in a volvo[msnwink]
[/quote]

Ah now this is where the Hummer has a major plus side.
Not much is going to damage it, and therefore you, much.

Brizzle.

LiesaAnna
13-03-2005, 21:42
saw Chris Eubanks last night in Brighton in the biggest Hummer i have ever seen!! beautiful black beast (the Hummer) he waved to me and did the thumbs up sign! hes so nice!!

Quanah
01-02-2007, 00:08
I'd like a Cadillac Escalade, black with chrome rims, or maybe that Pearl white metallic you see in FLA.[msncool]

becbecs
01-02-2007, 00:15
On our last trip we had a brand new Jeep which we thought was fab. On collection at MCO the Mileage Clock said 103 miles.

ShirleyD
01-02-2007, 00:41
Seeing as we are not talking real world, I choose the Hummer, cos they are so OTT :D

In real life (UK), I would never buy a 4x4 as I think they are ugly and clumppy and I like my zippy little Fiesta that I can park in tiny spots [clap]

luckylady
01-02-2007, 02:11
I would love a Durango have seriously thought about buying one for using in the UK
The price of petrol here makes it a non starter:D

orlandochris
01-02-2007, 12:27
A black Range Rover with a cream leather interior (or a Lambrghini LM002 if I could afford one!!)

lorraine51
07-02-2007, 22:16
Hummer for me every time.

Allan Smith
02-03-2007, 21:04
a nice Honda CRV, small enough for the UK and large enough to go touring. failing that a pick-up truck thought of getting one from America but could only find FORDS and I personally dont trust them!

wendyd
03-03-2007, 18:56
Range Rover 4.2 S/C Black
Lovely.