PDA

View Full Version : Parkinson - how annoying

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-03-2005, 02:46
Just watched Patsy Kensit on Parkinson and counted something like 265 times she said 'you know' - how irritating. Of course we did not 'know' as how could we be expected to know what she was thinking.

To make matters worse his next guest, Ray Winstone kept saying it too although not quite as frequently.

What is wrong with people - can they not speak without punctuating it with this kind of thing - remind me of David Beckham with his 'you know what I mean' every sentence [msnmad]

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 03:13
I think saying "you know what I mean" repeatedly is a sign of a hidden inferiority complex. The person is not certain whether his/her audience have been following what he/she is saying and so needs to make sure.....you know what I mean? :D:D

ORLANDO_MAGIC
06-03-2005, 03:34
I know exactly what you both mean:D

Lynnes
06-03-2005, 12:33
I watched this as as she went on and on my teeth started to grind, i had to put it off. It's awful once you have noticed it.

06-03-2005, 13:11
I have to agree with John although I did miss last night show as we were watching a DVD. Its as bad as the questioning tonality!

I actually think Parky is going down hill lately[msnscared]

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 13:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

[/quote]

Maybe that's why Kensit kept saying 'you know?' so often, not being sure whether Parkinson had understood her. :D

06-03-2005, 13:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

[/quote]

Maybe that's why Kensit kept saying 'you know?' so often, not being sure whether Parkinson had understood her. :D
[/quote]

LOL No I meant the quality of the guests[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 15:09

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In that case, maybe I should offer to give an interview to Parky and spruce it up a bit![laugh][laugh]

06-03-2005, 15:14

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In that case, maybe I should offer to give an interview to Parky and spruce it up a bit![laugh][laugh]
[/quote]

Good idea!!![msnsmile2]

amy
06-03-2005, 18:56
We missed Parkie because we are in Florida, but it is irritating when people do that, almost as much as those Americans who raise their tone half way to the end of a sentence, almost as they where about to ask a question, but don't.

E. Cosgrove
06-03-2005, 19:20
I was once video'd doing a presentation, I felt that it went well and I was quite confident. When they played it back to me I was horrified at the number of times I said "erm" it was done quite subconciously.[msnembarrased]

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 19:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
I was once video'd doing a presentation, I felt that it went well and I was quite confident. When they played it back to me I was horrified at the number of times I said "erm" it was done quite subconciously.[msnembarrased]
[/quote]

"Erms" and "aahs" are quite usual in conversation among Americans, even during celebrity TV interviews. Perhaps you are picking up some of the mannerisms with all those trips to Florida, Liz.;);)

Rhosyn
06-03-2005, 21:18
Thankfully we were out at friends for dinner, thank goodness by the sound of it I didn't miss anything "you know". Not it is not funny a little girl in the class I help out in starts all here sentences with Do you know she can be excused as she is only three.
Rose

06-03-2005, 21:52
[/quote]

Were you on a Presentation Skills course by any chance?

Part of our business is running these[msneek]

E. Cosgrove
06-03-2005, 21:57
Yes Lucy, "Teaching and Assessing in Clinical Practice!!"[msneek]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
[/quote]

[/quote]

06-03-2005, 22:19
Yes Lucy, "Teaching and Assessing in Clinical Practice!!"[msneek]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh you poor thing, we are very careful how we give feedback[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
07-03-2005, 00:53
Glad we were in Florida and missed this programme then, sounds really irritating.[msnoo][msneek]

Lyn
07-03-2005, 13:54
I always watch BBC1 in the morning while getting ready for work, there used to be a presenter on & I can't remember his name who always kept going "erm" every few words it really used to get to me.

Nostromo
07-03-2005, 14:01
Speaking of annoying voices, the one that really sent me up the wall was Terry Wogan's horribly grating pseudo-cultured voice on Radio 2 in the mornings. I stopped listening to that station even though I liked the programmes otherwise. Wogan's voice geve me the heebie-jeebies. It was listening to a well-tuned robot.

stabard
07-03-2005, 14:30
Oh I like Wogan - I find it a nice gentle way to wake up in the morning, and I know I am a Tog[msnwink]

Susan J
07-03-2005, 14:31
I don't like that presenter on Sky Sports with the monotone voice [ dark haired bloke] - in fact I often wonder, why, with all the people out there clammering for work, most TV presenters seem inept, or have a speech impediment that makes listening so difficult.

Lyn
07-03-2005, 16:03
I agree with Susan, I know if I had to stand in front of a camera I would we going "erm" very few words, but then this is not my job, I would expect them be able to string a sentance together without all the "erms & ahs" when they are being paid to do that.

Nostromo
07-03-2005, 18:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard
Oh I like Wogan - I find it a nice gentle way to wake up in the morning, and I know I am a Tog[msnwink]
[/quote]

Yipe!![msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek]!! I'd rather wake up to a banshee with a baton up its b***side!

Ray&Sarah
07-03-2005, 21:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard
[/quote]

Yipe!![msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek]!! I'd rather wake up to a banshee with a baton up its b***side!
[/quote]

Now that does sound painful to the ears![msnoo]:D

flyrr100
07-03-2005, 23:52
I have two...

My sister punctuates her questions with 'then': "How much was that then?" "Is it time to go then?" Who's Chelsea playing this week then?"

My nephew likes to punchuate his questions with 'yeah': "Are we going to the shops yeah?" "I bet it's sunny there today yeah?" "You want a pint of best yeah?"

And they both consider things to be 'well nice', or 'well good'.
I guess it's something that cropped up since I left! yeah?

luckylady
08-03-2005, 00:54
My teeth grinder is My Duck

Good Morning my duck
How are you my duck
Thank you my duck
My pleasure my duck
Sorry my duck
Goodbye my duck
usually shop assistants are the worst culprits
I feel like saying duck off
Barbara

flyrr100
08-03-2005, 01:28
I had an aunt who didn't say duck, she daid 'ducks! "hello ducks, oooohhhh havnt you grown?"