PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Language" filtering

Nostromo
05-03-2005, 19:02
Is there something that can be done to correct the settings for the rather overenthusiastic 'bad language' filter? As everyone knows, it sometimes cuts out perfectly innocent words or phrases that are important for the overall meaning of a post. For example, new member Baz Thornton cannot help being a native of a certain North Lincolnshire town, but the filter has seen it fit to edit out part of the town's name in Baz's profile, thus drawing hilarious attention to something that very few people would have noticed otherwise. See for yourselves!

blott
05-03-2005, 19:07
The forum software is made so that it looks for a particular string of letters together so, if we want to ban the use of the offending word with four letters which is part of the place name you've mentioned, then it takes those four letters, in the same order string, out of everything it comes across. As far as I understand it, that's the way it works and there's not much that can be done about.

However, far better having a few innocent words filtered out than let the banned ones in on a family orientated forum! Hopefully any kids who come across the filtered out bit won't know what word it's filtered out is or what it means.

Mr G
05-03-2005, 19:31
I think filters hit the spot.

There I sneaked one through!;)

Can you spot it? This could be a good idea for the next quiz. Spot the **** words.

If I lived in S[bad language filtered out]horpe I would be worried too!.

I suppose these have to be applied to protect the innocent!

Nostromo
05-03-2005, 22:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mr G
I think filters hit the spot.

There I sneaked one through!;)

Can you spot it? This could be a good idea for the next quiz. Spot the **** words.

[/quote]

Is that what you are on about?

KJH
05-03-2005, 22:38
P#O#O am I right ? This is the politer spelling

Kaz

Robert5988
06-03-2005, 00:00
Last letter of third word combined with fourth word.

Do I get a prize?

Cruella DeVilla
06-03-2005, 01:11
You said POOH!

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 03:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Last letter of third word combined with fourth word.

Do I get a prize?
[/quote]

That's it! (the prize I mean :D)

Ray&Sarah
07-03-2005, 00:03
I think its better to have an over enthusiastic filter than not one at all.[msnsmile2]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-03-2005, 01:16
I'm going to have a look at the filter code tomorrow to see if we can smarten it up a bit. Watch this space!

DaveL
07-03-2005, 01:40
How about just changing the words it looks for.

If you want to filter out the word "ABCD"

then look for " ABCD" and "ABCD " and " ABCD "

It might be easier than changing the code.

Regards Dave

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-03-2005, 01:43
I'm afraid it's not that simple as the code strips spaces out of banned words before checking for them so this will not work. It's definitely a code change but I do not think it's too hard to make.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DaveL
How about just changing the words it looks for.

If you want to filter out the word "ABCD"

then look for " ABCD" and "ABCD " and " ABCD "

It might be easier than changing the code.

Regards Dave
[/quote]