PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast Sea Fishing

Steve and Dawn
05-03-2005, 14:35
Hi, In all the years we have been going to Florida we have never looked into Sea fishing much. This year Dawn's Son and family are joining us at the villa. He is a keen fisherman and we were wondering if anybody can throw some light on the subject. We would like to do it from Clearwater if possible. Could anyone tell us how much it costs and whether it was an enoyable experience. What they fished for etc...

Steve & Dawn

florida4sun
05-03-2005, 14:48
The Sea Fishing is the best in the World. Not sure on prices as I was luckily enough to have access to boats. ALthough fising from the shore is just super. At St Petes I have caught all sorts including a huge skate.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve and Dawn
Hi, In all the years we have been going to Florida we have never looked into Sea fishing much. This year Dawn's Son and family are joining us at the villa. He is a keen fisherman and we were wondering if anybody can throw some light on the subject. We would like to do it from Clearwater if possible. Could anyone tell us how much it costs and whether it was an enoyable experience. What they fished for etc...

Steve & Dawn
[/quote]

Nostromo
05-03-2005, 16:59
There are several local companies that arrange big time Deep Sea Fishing off Clearwater Beach. Among the best known is Daisy Mae Fishing Company that do something called Bussman's Holiday for fishing enthusiasts. Worth checking their website.

Another company called Double Eagle Deep Sea Fishing have large Catamatrans that are available for private charter.

Robert5988
05-03-2005, 17:11
I fish a lot in Florida, both Gulf and Atlantic side.

If you go out in a boat the costs vary tremendously. It depends how many on the boat, how long and how far you go out. I suppose anything from $30-40 for a few hours on a big boat with dozens of ‘fishermen’ – mostly inexperienced and a certain recipe to spend most of your time untangling lines – to several hundred dollars a day for a smaller boat. As for fish well just about anything and any size; largely depends on the season.

I would echo what Florida4sun says about fishing from the beach or piers on canals. This is what I do most of the time – although I do have friends with boats I go with occasionally. You can buy good equipment for this at Wal-Mart(and frozen bait) very cheaply and it can also be used if he wants to try his hand in some of the lakes around Orlando. You will get good advice from most of the bait shops.

andrewmckay5
05-03-2005, 17:54
This site may be of help with the bait shops

[website link edited]

andrew

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
I fish a lot in Florida, both Gulf and Atlantic side.

If you go out in a boat the costs vary tremendously. It depends how many on the boat, how long and how far you go out. I suppose anything from $30-40 for a few hours on a big boat with dozens of ‘fishermen’ – mostly inexperienced and a certain recipe to spend most of your time untangling lines – to several hundred dollars a day for a smaller boat. As for fish well just about anything and any size; largely depends on the season.

I would echo what Florida4sun says about fishing from the beach or piers on canals. This is what I do most of the time – although I do have friends with boats I go with occasionally. You can buy good equipment for this at Wal-Mart(and frozen bait) very cheaply and it can also be used if he wants to try his hand in some of the lakes around Orlando. You will get good advice from most of the bait shops.

[/quote]

Steve and Dawn
05-03-2005, 22:41
Thanks for the advice folks, I will pass it all on.

Steve & Dawn

sully62
06-03-2005, 19:52
Hi Steve & Dawn,
we fished out of clearwater at christmas, brilliant both me and my brother are keen fishermen and we had a great day catching grouper try this link
http://www.offshorehustler.com

take a look at the photo gallery dated 3rd Jan, 05 thats myself and dad