PDA

View Full Version : Barnsley dialect....just for laughs

MaggieAllan
03-03-2005, 13:39
I don't know how many Yorkshire folk are out there but as a Lancashire lass I really chuckled when I came across this. If you are interested in dialects have a look. See how many you can understand before you put the sound on?? iberritintmany

www.barnsleylife.com//tonythepitpony.htm

A lot of them sound very similar to things said in Lancashire too...good job I put my posh Peter Kay accent on when I travel abroad (on down south!)[msntongue]

Newhomebuyer
03-03-2005, 14:31
I was raised in a Lancashire mining village so I was certainly familiar with many of those. One main difference was oam for home.In our village home was pronounced wom, so, urt goinwom meant are you going home.
It brought back a lot of memories listening to the voice.[msnsmile]

chunkichik
03-03-2005, 17:02
very funny maggie!!!! got most of them, but some were a bit hard!!!!!!!

midaza gorajag!![msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
03-03-2005, 17:52
Didn't understand alot of that Maggie, very funny trying though.[msnsmile2]

blott
03-03-2005, 18:08
As someone transplanted from the south (Berkshire) to the north (Lancashire) fourteen years ago and had to get used to the lingo to find out what anyone was saying, I even surprised myself that I understood most of them! :)

Sally D
03-03-2005, 18:32
I didn't understand much of it either, born and bred down south. My husband is from Lancashire so maybe he would understand.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
03-03-2005, 19:15
very funny! aberitinters
i understood all of them!!! i love accents!!! especially the Northerners!

E. Cosgrove
03-03-2005, 22:25
I am the opposite to Blott, Transported from Cheshire to Wilts,(where they talk with straw in their mouths[msnwink]...you should hear my youngest!)Even so after 20 years I can still get most of them:D

blott
03-03-2005, 23:23
Oooh, I've found some Lanky at http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/voices2005/atoz.shtml Now all you southerners can understand Corrie better! [msnwink] Try the quiz at the end of the page.

stabard
03-03-2005, 23:56
Well we lived 7 miles from Barnsley for a while and I am pleased to say I got them all[clap] Yes I know I am a show off but my eldest had a great Barnsley accent brewing before we moved back down south and nipped it in the bud[msnwink]

chris
03-03-2005, 23:58
That was really fun. As a born and bred southerner (living on the south coast) I was surprised how many I got right - though I cheated a bit by sharing a house with a gal from Bairnsley (rather than Baarrnsley as I'd say it);)

LiesaAnna
04-03-2005, 04:04
hey chris we're neighbours!!! i am in Brighton!!! Hastings is only along the road![msnwink] and we talk soooooo normal!

Sally D
04-03-2005, 11:56
Another South Coast one here, Chichester-Portsmouth area[msnsmile2]

KevinT
04-03-2005, 18:21
Having spent my school life in Leeds, the masters at the school tried (unsuccessfully!!) to stop all the pupils from using phrases like these, dropping and adding letters in words, and starting all sentences and words with a "T". (As in the old joke about the two Yorkshiremen playing I - Spy. One said "I spy with my little eye something beginning with "T". The other said "Table" (No) "Torch" (No) "Tins" (No) "I give up, what?" to which the first replied "T'oven") :D