PDA

View Full Version : Young Swimmers

bluebirds
01-03-2005, 20:07
My 6 year old son will(if he listens to his swimming coach)just be coming off armbands when we go to Orlando in May[8] We are aiming to go to Blizzard Beach during our stay. Can he use his armbands in the main pools as we will be with him all the time. Or is he only allowed in the toddler areas where he will be most annoyed. He loves water flumes over here which he goes down with one of us. Also is the steep summitt plummit ride very scary i want to go on it but it looks to high for me. I have known people leave bits of swimming cozzies behind on these slides.[drinkpepsi][angel][confused]

Nostromo
01-03-2005, 20:19
Your son will be restricted by height on most of the slides, but should be allowed with armbands in Castaway Creek. I am sure that I saw some 6 to 7 year olds there riding the smaller tubes.

As for Summit Plummet, it is a fantastic ride! It certainly looks high from up there, but you'll be lying on your back as you inch forwards towards the drop and so cannot actually see the precipe. The first sign you'll have of 'being on your way' is when your toes start to disappear from your eyeline. Once you brave it for the first time, you're virtually guaranteed to go back again - and again. Go for it!

LiesaAnna
01-03-2005, 20:30
cor would be cool to see some photos of people doing this!![msnwink]

florida4sun
01-03-2005, 22:13
They do not allow armbands in teh water parks, they have really good vests that you can use instead.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bluebirds
My 6 year old son will(if he listens to his swimming coach)just be coming off armbands when we go to Orlando in May[8] We are aiming to go to Blizzard Beach during our stay. Can he use his armbands in the main pools as we will be with him all the time. Or is he only allowed in the toddler areas where he will be most annoyed. He loves water flumes over here which he goes down with one of us. Also is the steep summitt plummit ride very scary i want to go on it but it looks to high for me. I have known people leave bits of swimming cozzies behind on these slides.[drinkpepsi][angel][confused]
[/quote]

CarolAnn
01-03-2005, 22:15
I have NOT braved summit plummit myself, but know that reactions vary wildly as to how good or scary it is!! I know people who have felt a little battered after their journey down, but also felt so excilerated that do it again and again. My advice would be to watch for a sort while and speak to the riders so to speak [msnwink]Put it this way...there are always long queues so it must be a thumbs up at Blizzard!!! I know that the wave pool did NOT allow our daughter in there when she was wearing armbands, but the "cast" members were very helpful in letting you know where was safe to swim for NON-SWIMMERS[msnsmile]

Nostromo
01-03-2005, 23:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
They do not allow armbands in teh water parks, they have really good vests that you can use instead.
[/quote]

I am sure that Martin is right. It must have been the vests that I saw those kids wearing. I know for sure that they had some extra protection on and the creek has smaller tubes to suit their size.

bluebirds
02-03-2005, 00:15
Can you hire the swim vests from Blizzard Beach? Just got back from swimming lessons he went without armbands for the last 10 minutes. He did all the arm actions and jumped up and down. He is nearly there but he hates going under. I will let you all know when he manages to swim unaided.
PS Sorry about all the smilies on my first post but Adam insisted what i put on.[8D]

christhear
02-03-2005, 01:35
Hi Bluebirds - keep going with thoses swimming lessons. If your son is able to stand in some of the areas at blizzard beach encourage him to go in without a life vest, don't let your kids become dependant on swimming aids.
I actually teach swimming and I'm i the pool with 3 and 4 year olds. I always start them off without any aids, then use floats and woggles. They only have arm bands towards the end of the lesson, this stops them getting too dependant on them. I'm not syaing don't use aids, but when you can be there for them give them a go without, it will get then swimming much quicker.

resorthomerentals
02-03-2005, 01:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
I have NOT braved summit plummit myself, but know that reactions vary wildly as to how good or scary it is!! I know people who have felt a little battered after their journey down, but also felt so excilerated that do it again and again. My advice would be to watch for a sort while and speak to the riders so to speak [msnwink]Put it this way...there are always long queues so it must be a thumbs up at Blizzard!!! I know that the wave pool did NOT allow our daughter in there when she was wearing armbands, but the "cast" members were very helpful in letting you know where was safe to swim for NON-SWIMMERS[msnsmile]
[/quote]

On the big drops it is best to keep your head back. It seems that if you lift your heat to try to look down where you are going you get a bit more beat up.

LiesaAnna
02-03-2005, 01:52
Can you hire the swim vests from Blizzard Beach? Just got back from swimming lessons he went without armbands for the last 10 minutes. He did all the arm actions and jumped up and down. He is nearly there but he hates going under. I will let you all know when he manages to swim unaided.
PS Sorry about all the smilies on my first post but Adam insisted what i put on.[8D]
[/quote]

i have a red one you'd be very welcome to if you want it? its red, with zip up front and white straps that go under the crutch area, lauren is 9 now and wore it on several holidays so we could read or something around the pool without being in the water but at the side, if you would like it let me know[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
02-03-2005, 16:56
The vests sound like the best option, would think that you can hire them at Disney as they usually think of everything but you should be able to buy one over in the US quite cheaply. And for peace of mind they are a great idea.

Ray also teaches swimming and our beginners don't have any armbands as you then end up teaching doggie paddle with the face out of the water and have to start again with proper stroke once they get bouyant. Keep him going with those lessons, we are great believers that all children should learn to swim.[msnsmile2]

Mr G
02-03-2005, 17:04
I thought the vests were free at the Water parks.
I know we "hired" one for our 5 year old who can swim, but just incase.
He didn't mind wearing it. I rememeber when we paid for the locker I just asked for a jacket and they gave me one.
He had it on all day and it also assisted in keeping the Sun off him.
Although still copious amounts of Sun cream factor 150! were applied.!!

Ray&Sarah
02-03-2005, 17:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mr G
I thought the vests were free at the Water parks.
I know we "hired" one for our 5 year old who can swim, but just incase.
He didn't mind wearing it. I rememeber when we paid for the locker I just asked for a jacket and they gave me one.
He had it on all day and it also assisted in keeping the Sun off him.
Although still copious amounts of Sun cream factor 150! were applied.!!

[/quote]

You are porbably right as Disney would want the children to be safe so are likely to provide the vests free of charge thinking about it.[msnsmile]

bluebirds
03-03-2005, 20:27
Adam just needs the confidence now and he won't be long til he manages to swim. I probaly will use a life vest for him just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the advice. Guess what its nearly time to take his brother Kieran to his swimming lessons. He can swim and can't wait for all the flumes. Time for mums taxi to get going again.[msncool]

Ray&Sarah
04-03-2005, 01:37
Adam just needs the confidence now and he won't be long til he manages to swim. I probaly will use a life vest for him just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the advice. Guess what its nearly time to take his brother Kieran to his swimming lessons. He can swim and can't wait for all the flumes. Time for mums taxi to get going again.[msncool]
[/quote]

Yes I know that feeling, I spend my whole time being a taxi service to my boys, mainly for swimming.[msnsmile]

Ruth
04-03-2005, 03:22
Me too, my girls swim 4 or 5 times a week then have competitions on top. Mind you it is a great way to keep them fit and I think it is very important that they can swim well:)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah

Yes I know that feeling, I spend my whole time being a taxi service to my boys, mainly for swimming.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

Ruth
04-03-2005, 03:23
I bought a great swim vest from M&S for James and it helped him learn to swim as you can take the foam pads out as they get more confident:)

stabard
04-03-2005, 14:00
THe vests at Blizzard Beach are Free - My youngest can swim but still likes to wear one for added confidence on the slides and in the pool. There are hieght restrictions on the faster slides but most are accessible to all ages.

Lee went on the Summit Plummet at New Year and came off very battered - he says "Never Agin"[xx(]

Nostromo
04-03-2005, 14:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard
Lee went on the Summit Plummet at New Year and came off very battered - he says "Never Agin"[xx(]
[/quote]

Actually, I felt that the "battering" was worse in Slush Gusher, the 3-stage slide next to Summit Plummet. Although not as steep, SG lifts one's bottom off the slide momentarily in the final drop and thumps the slider back with some force......you usually get off with a grimace!

nikkikl
04-03-2005, 16:28
Blubirds, I bet when he gets in the villa pool and has use of it for 2 weeks he will come along in leaps and bounds. I found that, with my eldest daughter (who was 7 at the time) the swimming lessons were useful but she needed that little extra something. 2 weeks in a villa pool and she was doing handstands underwater - it makes a massive difference and their confidence just grows and grows.

My 7 year old son is actually getting better at swimming now that his lessons have stopped and we take him to the local swimming pool with the rest of the family. He sees us all jumping in and that gives him the inspiration to do it himself and now he jumps in, goes under, the lot. Something he would not do at lessons. Not that I am advocating stopping the lessons, they just came to an end for him as he didn't enjoy them.

I would put money on it that you will be amazed at how much he improves during and after your holiday!

gromit
04-03-2005, 17:07
I think I saw some Speedo vests in Super Target and they were not very expensive. Wal-Mart also sell them, but not sure of the brand. I think it is very inportant for children to swim well and have had our boy in the water since 3 months and he loves it!! Have a great time...