PDA

View Full Version : new visa

wormy
01-03-2005, 16:47
hi im new to this forum so hello to everybody,the quistion i have is that we are planning to visit florida with some friends of ours who have been twice before and on each accation my friend has had to go down to london to apply for a visa due to a criminal record he got 20 years ago when he was 16 ,on both accations he was given a visa which only lasted for one year but he found both times going down to london was very stressful and would not like to do it again but that would spoil everyones plans my quistion is are the rules still the same and would he have to go to london again due to his last visa running out[msnsad]

E. Cosgrove
01-03-2005, 17:30
Hi wormy, yes he will still need a visa. If his conviction was 20 years ago I am surprised ne was not issued with a 10 year visa, suppose it depends on what the conviction was, and how long he has been employed by his current employer, does he have a mortgage etc etc.
As I understand it, if you had a minor offence way back and can show ties to this country, employment, mortgage etc then you are likely to get a 10 year visa, if conviction is more recent and no ties then he may only get a visa for a year.
I am no expert on this there are other far more knowledgeable people on the forum than myself, some in the same situation who have successfully applied for 10 year visa's. Do a search for criminal record or something similar, it will throw up loads of info.
One thing I would not recommend is travelling without a visa, it's just not worth the risk.
Good Luck.

Nostromo
01-03-2005, 17:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wormy
hi im new to this forum so hello to everybody,the quistion i have is that we are planning to visit florida with some friends of ours who have been twice before and on each accation my friend has had to go down to london to apply for a visa due to a criminal record he got 20 years ago when he was 16 ,on both accations he was given a visa which only lasted for one year but he found both times going down to london was very stressful and would not like to do it again but that would spoil everyones plans my quistion is are the rules still the same and would he have to go to london again due to his last visa running out[msnsad]
[/quote]

Wecome to the forums Wormy. Yes, your friend will definitely need a Visa - all the more since he got them before. If anything, the rules are stricter now and even those who 'got away' in the past on a VWS when they should not have been using it have been advised to get visas. But since your friend has been honest and declared his record, I cannot see a problem in him actually getting a visa. Perhaps you could try a covering letter with the application, including a plea for a longer Visa.

As for going to London, it is always stessful because of the rush & crowds. One suggestion is to book a B&B near the area and go the previous evening. That way, he will be more relaxed on arrival at the Embassy the following morning and in a better frame of mind to face the rigors of the day. In my opinion, the extra expense is worth it.

steph_goodrum
01-03-2005, 18:27
Or why not get your friend to make a break of it, I've heard that Belfast is just as easy to get to with the cheap flights. He could get an appointment and then book a couple of days away.

janwebb
01-03-2005, 18:32
Hi wormy, we've just been to london yesterday to get a visa for my husband who had a couple of convictions from about 10 years ago. I understand what your friend is saying about the hassle going to London because I do agree that it is a bit of a farce. We live in West Yorkshire so its a long way to go for 3 hours!! But, saying that, all the same, the visa was granted and I feel much better knowing that we won't run the risk of hubby getting turned away at Sanford airport!!! Good Luck :)

E. Cosgrove
01-03-2005, 20:59
Jan, was his visa for 1 year or 10?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janwebb
Hi wormy, we've just been to london yesterday to get a visa for my husband who had a couple of convictions from about 10 years ago. I understand what your friend is saying about the hassle going to London because I do agree that it is a bit of a farce. We live in West Yorkshire so its a long way to go for 3 hours!! But, saying that, all the same, the visa was granted and I feel much better knowing that we won't run the risk of hubby getting turned away at Sanford airport!!! Good Luck :)
[/quote]

janwebb
02-03-2005, 12:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Jan, was his visa for 1 year or 10?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janwebb
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hi Liz, I'm not sure yet as we have to wait for the Embassy to now process it and then it will be sent by courier. I'll let you know as soon as we get it.