PDA

View Full Version : DVD region settings on the PC

Nostromo
28-02-2005, 21:18
I have set the DVD player on my PC to Region 1 out of choice because I get so many documantary DVDs from the US that I like to watch on my PC. The DVD player uses Power DVD-5 software, but I can also play the R1 DVD on my downloaded Windows Media Player, also on the same PC. Can I change the setting on either of them to Region-2 so that I can play bith R1 & R2 DVDs on my PC (just like a standard 'multiregional' DVD player)

brizzle
28-02-2005, 21:22
You can get a piece of software called AnyDVD by Slysoft which will remove Region encoding, that would be my choice.

Then you can watch Region 1 and 2 with the same software.
The region encoding is linked to the drive not software so unless you bypass the region encoding your suggestion of 1 app for Region 1 and another for Region 2 would not work.

Brizzle.

Nostromo
28-02-2005, 21:31
Thanks Brizzle. Are there any problems with this AnyDVD software like the PC crashing on the DVD player blacking out completely etc? I have a lot of important data on the PC that I cannot afford to lose. Also, would I still be able to play standard DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs & DVD-ROMs like I now can?

brizzle
28-02-2005, 23:21
I've never had a problem (desktop or laptop) and no-one else I know who uses it has.
It also has full 12 month support from purchase.

If you go to Slysoft.com you can get more detail.

Brizzle.

Nostromo
01-03-2005, 00:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
I've never had a problem (desktop or laptop) and no-one else I know who uses it has.
It also has full 12 month support from purchase.

If you go to Slysoft.com you can get more detail.

Brizzle.
[/quote]

Thanks again Brizzle. I have looked at their website and noted that they offer a 3-week free trial. But before downloading the software, I e-mailed Slysoft with the spec of my PC and my (probably unfounded) fears. As soon as they reply, I'll download the software and hope for the best.

flyrr100
01-03-2005, 01:26
My PC (a Mac) has a feature where I can change the region at will. But you only get a limited number of changes. As I'm in the USA I keep it R1.

chunkichik
01-03-2005, 02:57
The region can be changed on our laptop, but only a maximum of 4 times I think

Nostromo
01-03-2005, 11:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
My PC (a Mac) has a feature where I can change the region at will. But you only get a limited number of changes. As I'm in the USA I keep it R1.
[/quote]

My PC (a PC :D) has this feature too, again allowed 5 times max. But I do not want to keep changing regions, but be able to play both R1 & R2 at any time. Looks like this AnyDVD might be the answer.

Frosty
01-03-2005, 13:19
It may help if you know the DVD make and model, there are a lot of free tweaks you can get for different machines.

My DVD is a Liteon and i got a free tweak that makes it multi region without affecting anything else.

There is a forum i visited where all the DVD guys post fixes etc, if you want a link, let me know.

Neil

Nostromo
01-03-2005, 13:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
It may help if you know the DVD make and model, there are a lot of free tweaks you can get for different machines.

My DVD is a Liteon and i got a free tweak that makes it multi region without affecting anything else.

There is a forum i visited where all the DVD guys post fixes etc, if you want a link, let me know.

Neil
[/quote]

Hey, mine is a Liteon too! It is this newish player that plays all types of DVDs and can burn them too. Can you please DM this 'tweak' details to me with a few clear instructions on what to do since I am not very technical? Thanks in anticipation.

Frosty
02-03-2005, 03:13
For anybody that has DVD problems or questions, check out this forum its full of info for DVD drives.

I don't think there should be a problem with posting this forum so here it is: -

http://club.cdfreaks.com/

Hope it helps somebody.

Nostromo i have DM you.

Neil

Nostromo
02-03-2005, 11:23
That's a great site & forum, Frosty. I've saved it as a favourite. I am sure that it will be useful in the future. Thanks.

Nostromo
03-03-2005, 19:11
Brizzle, just letting you know that I downloaded the free trial version of "AnyDVD" and it work brilliantly! Thank you very much. I owe you a drink or two. [beer][beer]

brizzle
03-03-2005, 21:13
Glad to be of service..