28-02-2005, 19:27
Can you use visa debit cards in florida

regards sue

Robert5988
28-02-2005, 19:34
Yes

adh619
28-02-2005, 19:51
yes, I use mine all the time (my Halifax electron is not accepted in all places)

Tony

Nostromo
28-02-2005, 20:08
I have Lloys TSB Visa Debit card and have used it for shopping like a 'credit' card to pay, as well as the ususal ATM card to draw out money. Never had a problem :).

Cruella DeVilla
28-02-2005, 20:23
We have encountered no problems at all, we use various including the Halifax and our Euro account card. Easy Peasy!

Halifax Electron is not accepted at some places in the UK, I don't personally have it but my Mum tried to pay for some train tickets last week and they would not take it, took her credit card but turned down hard cash so to speak..mad really!

Rooster
28-02-2005, 21:23
I used my Nationwide VISA Debit Card in Florida with no problems. An added bonus is the Nationwide do not charge commission on purchases or cash withdrawals from ATMs (although the ATM provider may make a charge).

Rooster

KirstieLou
23-03-2005, 15:57
I have Barclays Visa Debit and never had a problem.

A little tip though. Take soem photo ID with you when you use the card as many USA Debit Cards now have a photo on.

pieman790
23-03-2005, 16:54
I found last time that some places like you to use the pin number if you have a chip and pin card.
Costco told me they would not serve me with a debit card unless it was chip and pin.

Robert5988
23-03-2005, 17:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I found last time that some places like you to use the pin number if you have a chip and pin card.
Costco told me they would not serve me with a debit card unless it was chip and pin.[/quote]

If your card is not 'chip and pin' most stores 'swipe' it and enter it as a credit card on their till.

My debit card is not 'chip and pin' and I use it at Wal-mart, Publix etc as well as the ATMs.

amy
23-03-2005, 17:36
Most places we visited have stopped using 'chip and pin'.
You had to swipe the card your self and then sign on a small computer screen with an electronic pen.the signiture was the checked and authorised and it even printed your signiture on the till receipt.

mandyj72
23-03-2005, 19:48
VISA Debit should be taken anywhere as it works like a SWITCH card which is international because of the Cirrus & Maestro logo but Electron cards work the sama as a SOLO card in the UK and every time it is swiped the transaction is checked for available funds and because of this places in the UK and abroad are not that keen on taking them (it is basically a "restricted" type of card).

Does that make sense? Can you tell I work for a bank!!!!

ringwood1
23-03-2005, 20:22
We used our Nationwide Visa Debit card and had no problems using it, used it for getting money out from the hole in the wall as well at various shopping outlets.

gromit
24-03-2005, 00:01
If you are using it in a place like Wal-Mart, you can swipe your card at the same time the check out person is scanning the goods. You will normally be asked if it is credit or debit, if it is debit and you have a chip and pin this is when it will ask you for the number. Once all items are scanned you can then just go, if you wait for the staff member to swipe the card they assume it is credit and then ask for ID! Don't be afraid to just ago ahead and swipe yourself if you see the terminal there to do so....

Cruella DeVilla
24-03-2005, 00:20
Talking about debit cards, we have just received new ones for our USA account this morning and they come with keychain size cards which you use in the same way as the normal size. They are so diddy!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-03-2005, 00:28
Normally I have no problem but I did get my Visa Debit card refused this morning at the Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney, but it went through ok when we put it through as a credit card (as opposed to a debit card). I think it's something to do with the retailers systems having to talk to your UK bank's computers if you use it as a debit card and the link sometimes times out or cannot connect.

ujpest doza
24-03-2005, 14:22
Visa Delta is no problem, but Electron, Solo or Switch are not as widely accepted.

gromit
24-03-2005, 14:27
Things also seem to be a lot quicker and simpler if you have cards with your photo on them. Also with our American account we also have the little key chain cards and they work great!

Cruella DeVilla
24-03-2005, 17:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
Visa Delta is no problem, but Electron, Solo or Switch are not as widely accepted.

[/quote]

Have useed switch or Maestro as it is called, had no problem whatsoever for a few years now.

E. Cosgrove
01-04-2005, 00:25
The guys were asking about them in the bank yesterday as they had seen them advertised on TV. The manager advised against them as she said they get damaged very easily and then fail to work, especially if you keep them on your key ring, also won't work in ATM machines only in the supermarket tills.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Talking about debit cards, we have just received new ones for our USA account this morning and they come with keychain size cards which you use in the same way as the normal size. They are so diddy!
[/quote]

Madabouttigger
02-04-2005, 20:36
We got a better rate of exchange using our visa debit cards, dollar was $1.80 when we left but got $1.89 on my bank statement.

:D