PDA

View Full Version : Key West

imported_n/a
15-02-2002, 01:27
A very long drive from Orlando, it really is advisable to have an overnight stop in the Miami area or further south. Very picturesque drive along the Keys, perfect for water sports enthuisiasts and personally did not feel after two nights in Key West we would be in a hurry to return, but many people go there year after year.

carole7007
15-02-2002, 01:32
Yes I agree, very picturesque, and I am glad we went.

The beach and sea looked fabulous, water sports everywhere so the boys enjoyed it. May go back for a couple of days sometime.

Carole & Keith

smatterchu
21-02-2002, 20:16
We just got back from a drive to The Keys. For us, staying in the Upper Keys was preferable to Key West. Not only is it easier to find lodging, but the activities are a bit more flexible.

If I have info on The Keys in general, should I post it here, or should I create a new thread for The Florida Keys? Any opinions, y'all?

Peas 'n Hominy...Smatta

imported_n/a
22-02-2002, 22:17
There used to be a bay called Marathon Bay where you could swim with the dolphins for a very reasonable amount but this was a few years ago so you may not be able to do it anymore.

orlandobabe
23-02-2002, 00:41
How many days should you allow to 'do' the Keys including travelling time?

Obviously not to do them well-but enough to get a flavour of them-and would you stop off en route at say Miami?

Is there a good time of year to go-ie avoid hurricane season/

Much appreciate some advice!

Orlandobabe

carole7007
23-02-2002, 00:54
We stayed in Key Largo, the hotel was the first one on your right, I will check the name and let you know.

The children really enjoyed it, the Manattees visited every morning and evening to get fresh water. They were so gentle the children actually went in the water with them. I was worried they are so big, but they actually wanted to play, rolling over onto their backs to be stroked.

If you ask our youngest what the best part of her Florida holiday was, she says swimming with the Manattees in her PJ's. We actually paid for her to swim with the Dolphins in Discovery Cove !! she enjoyed that too but we could have saved some money LOL

Don't tell anyone though, its against Florida Law to go near them. !!!

Wonderful to watch and a wonderful experience.

Carole & Keith

blott
25-02-2002, 16:42
Orlandobabe

Because it's the most southern point of the USA, it gets VERY hot in the summer so it's not a good time to go with kids. Winter could be a good time.

Travelling (traveling) from the Kissimmee area, it takes about 5 hours by road to Miami and then about another 4-5 hours to Key West so you'll need a stopover on the way. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Miami because we hated it there (but you might not!) and parking is well nigh impossible.

Make sure you catch the sunset ceremony which takes place every night at sundown!

Blott