PDA

View Full Version : Missing Luggage

ORLANDO_MAGIC
26-02-2005, 17:02
GENEVA -- World airlines spend as much as $1.6 billion a year on mishandled baggage, a company that provides computer-tracking technology to the industry said Tuesday.

The main factors causing a bag to fail to arrive with its owner at the intended destination are growing passenger numbers and tighter security, said SITA Inc., a Geneva-based company owned by the air transport industry.

'Keeping track of the billions of pieces of baggage transported around the world annually has become a major challenge,' the company said.

SITA estimates that it costs the industry an average of $87.50 when a bag fails to show up on time. Even though the percentage of mishandled bags is only 0.7 percent, the total cost mounts quickly.

'Disgruntled passengers, important security concerns and the high cost of inefficient baggage handling are critical issues,' said Catherine Mayer, SITA's vice president of airport services.

The company said widely used luggage labels that are imprinted with bar codes have done much to improve baggage management, but 'statistics show that stricter security screening procedures in many countries are prompting a new rise in the number of mishandled bags.'

Tighter security means bags go through airports slower and can be diverted more easily. SITA offers a system that tracks a bag through an airport's security screening area and issues an alert if it moves too slowly.

It can connect to explosive detection and smart X-ray systems to allow bag-room and security staff to locate it instantly. Handling agents can react more quickly if they know immediately whether a bag has cleared, has been escalated to a higher security level or has been halted.

SITA said in North America, the number of mishandled bags increased by 20 percent in 2004 over the total number of mishandled bags in 2003.

The company is promoting use of a tiny computer-style chip on luggage tags that it said will reduce the number of misdirected bags. The luggage labels, known as RFID for radio frequency identification tags, allow for tracking of luggage at all times over wireless networks.

The RFID chips also allow for quick removal of baggage from airplanes when the passenger who checked them fails to show up for the flight, SITA said.

It said the chips are in use at a limited number of airports so far, but it expects the system eventually to replace bar-coded labels.

Nostromo
26-02-2005, 17:29
I can very well believe these statistics. Fortunately, we have never lost a single piece of luggage anywhere in the world thus far (touch wood). The closest was a few years ago on a flight from Las Vegas to Fresno in a small turboprop plane. They could not fit in all the baggage of all the passengers and one of our suitcases was among several that were sent on the next flight. We had to wait for 90 minutes at Fresno airport and got an apology and free snacks.

LiesaAnna
26-02-2005, 17:38
cant be all bad then?????
have never lost any yet, but had a case damaged but insurance paid for it quickly!!
[msnwink]

pepsi
26-02-2005, 21:52
A couple of years ago we had one of our suitcases sent to New York instead of Atlanta, obviously it did not find it's way to Gatwick. This happened when we flew from Miami by Delta airlines. They were very efficient though as the suitcase turned up 2 days later, delivered right to our home in the UK, with everything still in tact.

26-02-2005, 23:43
I have had it all, lost or late luggage, broken cases, broken baby car seat and 2 baby buggies!![msnsmile]

Lyn
26-02-2005, 23:56
We have never lost luggage, yet[msnsad]but my boss flew to Miami Feb 2004 and her suitcase was missing for 2 days, she then had to wait at her hotel for it to be delivered.

stabard
27-02-2005, 15:43
We have lost luggage a few times - the last time being at MCO at New Year. We carried the luggage through customs at Chicago and put it on the belt to go to Orlando but it did not arrive. Mum was getting in a bit of a flap as she is not a seasoned traveller[msnsmile2] but we just registered the lose at the baggage claim and were told it was on its way. Lukily we were going to our own villa so I knew we at least had a change of clothes and toiletries there and the bags were delivered just fine the next morning.

Went on a flight to Madrid once when BA forgot to put all the luggage on the plane[msnoo]
but again it turned up the next day.

Aiminghigh
27-02-2005, 18:25
Our whole familiy's luggage went missing on a trip to Miami about 3 yrs ago! We had a connecting flight in Heathrow and apparently it was left there. As we were staying in the Keys it took 3 days to get it all back-it was a bit of a nightmare with 3 kids. We were told by BA to buy clothes/essentials etc and that we would be reimbursed. We got every penny back plus some extra compensation(a couple of hundred pounds I think) and a BA voucher for £200. It certainly was not something I would wish to repeat!!!!

Aiminghigh

bellaepovera
27-02-2005, 18:34
They have lost my luggage a few times so I am use to it..once for 6 months many years ago..was offered either $600 or two free tickets to return to the States. OF course i took the later..Couple years ago was returned to my home in Italy on the way back after 4 days so was without decent summer clothes but all in all you usually get your stuff back. I think the connecting flights are where the luggage gets lost the most.

amy
27-02-2005, 18:46
We arrived back from LAX the other year and our backs didn't, when we rang up they could track exactly where they where and they arrived home by taxi two days later, and we got nearly £400 in compensation.
I am hoping they can do the same for us when we fly home next week.[msnwink]:D

caz
27-02-2005, 23:31
We have had luggage go adrift a couple of times. When we travelled home from MCO via Amsterdam once our case didn't arrive at Cardiff - it had got the KLM connection to Birmingham, but it arrived in a taxi a couple of days later. And this year on our return flight MCO to LHR via Chicago, my nephews fishing rod never appeared. BA were brilliant and said we'd have it within 48 hours, and sure enough the following day at 9pm it arrived by taxi. My sister was amazed - the smallest item that the courier was delivering was an umberella!!

Ray&Sarah
28-02-2005, 16:50
Ray has had a case lost by Delta on a business trip to the US. They did recover it and as he was travelling about it followed him around the US and finally caught up with him the day before he flew home. They would only allow him to buy a toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor and a change of underwear , as essentials that they would cover and can you imagine having to wear the same clothes all week.[msnscared]
Fortunately his work provided him with their company polo shirts.[msnsmile2]