PDA

View Full Version : Expiry dates on food.

ORLANDO_MAGIC
26-02-2005, 15:18
I had a sore throat last weekend so on my way to work last monday morning i bought a packet of tunes from my local paper shop.

I had one,then another a hour later and by the time i was on my 3rd one a couple of hours later i started to feel sick and had to spit it out.

A few minutes later i was physical sick[sick]and felt so bad i had to go home for the rest of the day and stay in bed all day and most of the night.

I only started to feel a bit better in the morning and was then able to eat a light breakfast of cereal and return to work despite not feeling 100% right.

Anyway,i was looking at the box of tunes i had bought the day before and was shocked to see that the expiry date was 'June 2003'[msnoo]

From now on you can be sure i will be checking the expiry dates on everything i eat:D

John

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005226111312_TUNES.jpg

I know they say 'the old tunes are the best' but that does not apply in this case[laugh]

Sally D
26-02-2005, 15:28
It does not say 'expiry date', maybe that was the date of manufacture. Surely no shop would sell things that out of date[msnscared]

Cruella DeVilla
26-02-2005, 16:04
Have to agree it looks like the manufactured date. Sorry to hear you have been ill though.

LiesaAnna
26-02-2005, 17:06
well whatever glad your ok!!! and will teach us to check everything and after the food colouring scare maybe we should be a little more vigilante over what goes in our mouths!:)

Nostromo
26-02-2005, 17:47
Yes, I too think that the date on the flap looks like that of manufacture. The Food & Drug Admin advises most manufacturers of processed and packed foods to allow about 6 months before putting an Expiry date (for those products with the ED displayed), which means that you should be all right up to 6 months after the displayed Expiry Date (if any).

steph_goodrum
26-02-2005, 23:21
It could also be that the virus or whatever that made your throat feel sore just kicked in when you ate the Tunes and may have been the same if you had a couple of pieces of toast or whatever, or even jsut having a drink.
There have been quite a few bugs going round here lately that have included both sore throat and nausea or headaches.

chunkichik
01-03-2005, 22:29
That packaging was not used until last year, so I would second the date of manufacture, there is a lot of stomach flu going around at the moment and other bugs, so maybe just a co-incidence!

poohbear
02-03-2005, 00:56
i dont care if some things are out of date i still eat them and i never get sick.(keeping fingers crossed)

Sharon G
02-03-2005, 01:00
Everyone in my family has had the throat and sickness bug over the last 3 weeks including me[msncry][msncry]
John, maybe you had a bad reaction to the tunes themselves!!! I know they don't agree with my Dad,s stomach.

Sharon

luckylady
02-03-2005, 13:29
Years ago my Mum was cleaning out my Grandmothers kitchen cuboards when she decided to move into a retirement flat
Mmum found a large Mrs Peeks Christmas pudding
so she took it home.That Christmas she decided to use it for the family dinner
When she was taking the wrapper of noticed the date told her it was 5 years out of date
But becauce this was Christmas day and no shops were open then on Christmas day
she used it telling no one, my Dad said it was the best Christmas pudding he had ever eaten.
The following year just before Christmas, Dad said dont forget to get another pudding the same as last year, so she went out and bought a very expensive pudding but it was not a patch on the other one. Every Christmas for years we would hear the same message
She never told my Dad the saga of the Christmas pudding ,
she only told me after he died
Barbara

Ray&Sarah
02-03-2005, 17:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady

Years ago my Mum was cleaning out my Grandmothers kitchen cuboards when she decided to move into a retirement flat
When she was taking the wrapper of noticed the date told her it was 5 years out of date
she used it telling no one, my Dad said it was the best Christmas pudding he had ever eaten.
The following year just before Christmas, Dad said dont forget to get another pudding the same as last year, so she went out and bought a very expensive pudding but it was not a patch on the other one. Every Christmas for years we would hear the same message
Barbara

[/quote]

Sounds like the puds mature with age then Barbara.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
02-03-2005, 18:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady

Barbara

[/quote]

My nan has a Christmas pud that was 15 years old or there abouts when she went into a home.......I don't think anyone cooked it....but then I was only 11 at the time so many be we had it that Christmas and I can't remember.....[msneek]