PDA

View Full Version : Orlando via Atlanta

Susan
25-02-2005, 21:09
I've booked a flight with Delta to Orlando via Atlanta and the time between connecting flights is only 1hr 45mins. Is this enough time to collect baggage, go through customs and check-in again? It seems a bit tight to me!! I've never done an indirect flight before or flown with Delta so any information would be great.

Nostromo
25-02-2005, 21:13
You might get away with it, but it always worries me with anything less than 2 hours and 30 mins. Atlanta is a fairly busy and confusing airport, you might find yourself pushed for time. With all the new formalities, one cannot take the chance. IMHO, you should try for a later flight out of Atlanta to Orlando; if not, explain your predicament to the stewardess on board the first flight and try to be one of the first to get off the plane so that you can run to the head of the immigration queue.

Also, even a 15 minute delay in the first flight will take a sizeable chunk out of your time.

Ray&Sarah
25-02-2005, 21:44
Ray flies into the US quite regularly and then catches another plane for somewhere else, he has managed to do this in an hour because his first flight was late but wouldn't recommend it. Ideally he likes to have a 2 hour gap to prevent having to make a run for it. He says Atlanta is a big airport and you have to catch a train between the terminals so you might be pushing it to get through immigration and to the next gate.[msnsmile2]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
25-02-2005, 21:46
As Nostromo says,it will be tight and would be better if you had at least 2.5 hours in-between flights,but if your stuck with this one then at least be sure your at the front of the plane so you can get to immigration near the front of the line,cause if your behind 300 plus people you have no chance of making the connection.

John.

Jill
25-02-2005, 22:35
I flew Christmas before last to Tampa via Atlanta had a similar connection gap. There were so many people missing from the plane held in the queues for security they held the plane. I would not go via Atlanta again. It is a large airport and the security seemed slower than several of the other airports.

Nostromo
25-02-2005, 22:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill
I flew Christmas before last to Tampa via Atlanta had a similar connection gap. There were so many people missing from the plane held in the queues for security they held the plane. I would not go via Atlanta again. It is a large airport and the security seemed slower than several of the other airports.[/quote]

Same here. Among US International Airports that I have been through (and there are quite a few of those) Atlanta ranks way down, only marginally better than the worst two - LA and Detroit.

Jo
25-02-2005, 22:43
We've done it before . It will be tight so don't hang about. Make sure you don't need a toilet stop before you reach immigration , or you will be at the back of the queue - that was our big mistake.[msneek]

While on the plane work out the layout of the airport , from the seat back magazines, so that you don't have to think about it when time is short.

Hopefully , it'll all work out for you.[msnsmile2]

debbie
25-02-2005, 23:18
I'm sorry to say, but we had the same type of flight and missed our connection. We had to stay overnight in Atlanta and catch the next flight in the morning.
Debbie

Katys Grandad
25-02-2005, 23:27
I'm going to go against the flow a little here but I don't think that you will have a problem provided there aren't any unforseen circumstances (I accept that that is a possibilty!)

If you are referring to the MAN-ATL daily flight with a connection to MCO exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes later, I have done that both pre and post 9/11 without problems. Let's face it, if Delta felt that the connection time wasn't sufficient then they would surely have stopped selling the ticket.

I agree Atlanta is a busy airport but remember that you are staying within the Delta terminal airside so no new security checks other than the obvious ticket checks. Yes, you probably will have to take the 'train' but it runs every few minutes and goes from 1 end of the terminal to the other in less than 5 minutes.

Robert5988
25-02-2005, 23:33
On an optomistic note I think you will probably be OK.

Firstly Delta should not have booked you on that connecting flight if they felt there were going to be problems; especially as you can bet there will be a bunch of Brits on the plane who are off to see Donald Duck and they will probably hold the plane if there are several people booked on it.

My brother has flown several times recently through Atlanta from Gatwick and have cleared everything within an hour.

Anyway its not a big deal - if you miss the flight you get on the next available one.

Katys Grandad
25-02-2005, 23:36
Agreed Robert - there are several ATL-MCO flights a day so things should be OK even if there are problems.

flyrr100
25-02-2005, 23:49
They say, "when you die you'll have to go through Atlanta!"

Atlanta is great, unless there's any weather. Then it goes down the toilet! I've had 3-4 hour delays through ATL. But, as I said, if the weather cooperates, Atlanta is fine.

And, expect a full flight from Atlanta to MCO. I'd book your seat before you leave. If you wait until you get to Atlanta you won't be sitting together.

Happy trails.

Robert5988
25-02-2005, 23:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I'd book your seat before you leave. If you wait until you get to Atlanta you won't be sitting together.
[/quote]
Jeff even if you havn't pre-booked seats on the ATL-MCO leg they are normally allocated at the check-in desk in UK.

wilfy
26-02-2005, 00:24
Susan,
we've done this trip loads of times, and we've never missed a flight yet, once with a 90 minute layover. To be honest, of the 3 flights a day from Gatwick, the early flight @10am-ish we've found to be the worst for immigration pace. The last flight of the day @1pm-ish is the best. Your flight from the UK should arrive at terminal E at atlanta, and the onward flight will either be from terminal E or A.
About 30 minutes prior to landing they post all the connecting flight details on the tv screens in the cabin, so you will at least know which gate to get too. If the connecting flight does go from Terminal A, after you've done immigration, collected your baggage, passed thru customs, checked your baggage for the onward trip at the desks just after customs, and then thru the security check, look for the signs for the underground train/monorail to Terminal A. From E to A is a 5 minute journey on the underground.

Also Delta run 13 flights a day from Atlanta to Orlando, so if you should miss your flight you'll probably get put onto the next 'un. Check http://www.delta.com/schedules/travel/reservations/flight_sched/index.jsp for the flight schedule and you'll be able to checkout the later flights.

heathercobbett
26-02-2005, 11:45
Last time we flew via Atlanta,they had really speeded things up through immigration with multi-lingual staff cheking the forms in thr queue.

We have previously missed a connection once and they put us on the next flight

Madabouttigger
26-02-2005, 12:45
We did it no problem in 1 hour 20 mins, but we asked a member of staff for help and he was fantastic. He guided us through with no problems. But you can always just hop on the next flight if you miss your connecting one. I would't worry about it too much, you will be fine.
[msnwink]
Diane.

Cruella DeVilla
26-02-2005, 13:55
We did this route a few years ago, we made our connection as we had a little longer than you to connect. It is a huge, busy airport and security is tight, we were there after the Olympic incident in 96 and again in 2000 so don't know what it is like now, more tight I would imagine. Not trying to worry you just givinf you a realistic idea. As Diane has mentioned maybe voice your concerns when you arrive and they might help you get there quicker! It also depends whether you clear customs to, which I think we did?

There are loads of connections to Florida so they will just load you on the next flight if anything goes wrong, which hopefully it will not!

Nostromo
26-02-2005, 17:23
The way I see it, with only 105 minutes between flights, even a highly possible 15 or 20 minute delay in the arrival of the first flight takes out a sizeable chunk of available time afterwards. I always allow at least 2 hrs and 30 minutes to be safer...though even that is not 100% guaranteed. I personally feel that anything under 2 hours in a large US International Airport would be pushing it. Even if 4 out of 5 have managed it, one could easily become that fifth person.

pepsi
26-02-2005, 21:42
We have done this connection a couple of times and like others have never missed the flights. Although it is a large airport we found it very organised and quite quick to transfer to the required terminal for the Orlando flight. We haven't though, used this flight route since the new regulations came into effect - fingerprinting, photos etc so don't know the time implications of these procedures. I would have thought though that Delta have considered these before scheduling connecting flights. It would not be in their interest for loads of people to miss their connecting flight. We are flying with Delta through Atlanta at Easter but we have a 3 hour gap between flights.

Lesley and John
26-02-2005, 23:25
We went through Atlanta in October and had 1 hour 25 mins till our next flight. We just missed it. Going through immigration and getting our bags was very smooth we had our picture & finger prints taken. The problem was the delay getting through the security checks after dropping off our bags. The security people were very quick, it was just so very crowded and busy. We only just missed the connecting flight and only had to wait an hour for the next one. The delta agent said they have loads of flights to Orlando. I think you should be OK with an hour 45 mins.

Nostromo
27-02-2005, 12:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pepsi
Although it is a large airport we found it very organised and quite quick to transfer to the required terminal for the Orlando flight. I would have thought though that Delta have considered these before scheduling connecting flights. It would not be in their interest for loads of people to miss their connecting flight.
[/quote]

First off, I have to diagree that Atlanta s 'very organised'. We have been through it many times and in my experience, it is anything but organised.
As for the comment "it is not in the airline's interest for peple to miss their connection flight", we have to consider the meaning of that phrase 'connecting flight'. That particular Atlanta to Orlando flight could be the connection for other flights besides the one arriving from London and some of those others might have more time to connect. What I am saying is that it is practically impossible for any major airline - given theie heavy schedule these days - to have 'ideal' connecting flights for ALL their passengers. They do the best they can, but at the end of the day it is upto the passengers to figure our whether a given connection is suitable or not.

27-02-2005, 12:54
Airline connection times are set in stone, the airlines and airports have agreements on connection times depending on which terminal you arrive and depart from, to give you an example Heathrow connections with BA are as follows................

From Terminal 1 to Terminal 1 - 60 mins
From Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 - 75 mins
From Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 - 75 mins
From Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 - 75 mins

TERMINAL 2
From Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 - 75 mins
From Terminal 2 to Terminal 2 - 60 mins
From Terminal 2 to Terminal 3 - 75 mins
From Terminal 2 to Terminal 4 - 90 mins

TERMINAL 3
From Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 - 75 mins
From Terminal 3 to Terminal 2 - 75 mins
From Terminal 3 to Terminal 3 - 60 mins
From Terminal 3 to Terminal 4 - 90 mins

TERMINAL 4
From Terminal 4 to Terminal 1 - 75 mins
From Terminal 4 to Terminal 2 - 90 mins
From Terminal 4 to Terminal 3 - 90 mins
From Terminal 4 to Terminal 4 - 60 mins

Katys Grandad
27-02-2005, 13:00
In additon to that, since 9/11 US airlines would be breaking federal law if they arranged connections without allowing sufficient time for necessary security checks. I can't believe Delta would do that.

Robert5988
27-02-2005, 14:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:but at the end of the day it is up to the passengers to figure our whether a given connection is suitable or not[/quote]
Can’t say I agree with that Nostromo.

Other than ask the airline, how is a passenger expected to know what is the recommended time to clear formalities in every hub airport throughout the world?

If an airline books you on a two leg journey, it is their responsibility to get you to the destination and not “up to the passenger.”

blott
27-02-2005, 16:32
We've flown via Atlanta quite a few times and only had a problem once when we were delayed on a return flight awaiting de-icing in an hour long queue/line because of snow there.

The baggage hand in area after Customs is very conveniently located and the staff very quick - they just grab! No lines at all.

The terminal transfer train is also pretty efficient and very frequent. There's not miles to walk from the train to the domestic departure gates.

One of the better transfer airports IMHO.

tezz7628
27-02-2005, 16:39
flown delta quite a few times now as my route is man-atl-chs

charleston flight seems to go from same domestic terminal as orlando

i think i've done the orlando portion twice

never changed the connection times or missed the flight, definately got off the transatlantic plane last on more than one occassion

Nostromo
27-02-2005, 18:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:but at the end of the day it is up to the passengers to figure our whether a given connection is suitable or not[/quote]
Can’t say I agree with that Nostromo.

Other than ask the airline, how is a passenger expected to know what is the recommended time to clear formalities in every hub airport throughout the world?

If an airline books you on a two leg journey, it is their responsibility to get you to the destination and not “up to the passenger.”
[/quote]

Robert, what I meant was that an Airline cannot figure out variables like the number of passengers in the party, their relative mobility, mutual co-operation, organisation etc etc - the sort of things that are only too familiar to you, me and all the rest of seasoned travellers on this forum. Bearing that in mind, 105 minutes might be perfectly adequate for a changeover in Atlanta for passenger group 'A' who know what to expect and are prepared to move quickly on arrival. But you do get a lot of 'B' group passengers who simply will not (or cannot) be hurried and take their own time going about things no matter how many times you tell them - are they are the ones for whom 105 minutes will be too tight, risking missed flights. (For example, I know for a fact that my elderly in-laws absolutely cannot manage that in Atlanta). All I am suggesting is that if there were 150 minutes or more between flights, there is a much better chance that everyone will make it without pushing themselves to the limits.

Mach 2, your figures are very pretty (I mean the numbered ones in the posting; I don't know of any other ;)) but how does that help people who have not been able to make the connection for one reason or the other? Even on this thread there were a few who said that they missed it; I am sure there are others who struggle.

I accept that 105 minutes might be more than enough if everything goes by the book - the time of arrival, immigration, luggage retrieval, customs clearance, passenger regrouping and the second check-in. But if even one of these goes off the rails (as there is a good chance these days with so many people travelling), then it might turn out to be a different story.

wilfy
27-02-2005, 18:56
i thought that if a connecting flight had more than x% incoming on delayed flights they would automatically delay the outbound flight to at least get the plane reasonably full.

Mo Green
02-03-2005, 03:04
We have flown Delta/Tampa via Atlanta for several trips with a 1hr45min period at Atlanta and it has never been a problem. At one time when the Gatwick/Atlanta plane got in early we even managed to change to an earlier plane to Tampa.

After we booked one trip, there were changes to the departure time from Gatwick which would have left only 1hr 25mins between flights. Delta insisted on putting us on a later flight out of Atlanta but we would have still had time to catch the orginal flight.

hurricanesarah
08-03-2005, 01:20
We did that last trip and missed the flight, but we got a different flight not long after. Same night anyway

Susan
08-03-2005, 15:27
Thanks for all your replies. I think we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed [msnscared]. I have emailed Delta asking them if 105 mins was enough time to make the connection, the reply only told me that I would have to collect my luggage, go through immigration etc. That obviously didn't answer my question so I am awaiting a reply to another email. Thanks again for your expert advise.[msnsmile]

Sue

wilfy
08-03-2005, 16:16
Sue,
when are you flying? We're going out over the easter weekend, so if your flying after that i can give you an idea of how long it'll take and this will one of the busiest times of the year.

Susan
08-03-2005, 19:51
Wilfy - not flying until December unfortunately. So would be great to see how long it takes you. Have a great time. Many thanks.

Sue

Nostromo
08-03-2005, 20:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan
Wilfy - not flying until December unfortunately. So would be great to see how long it takes you. Have a great time. Many thanks.

Sue
[/quote]

It is only my opinion, but since there are usually quite a few flights between Atlanta and Orlando and you don't go till December, is it worth checking to see if there is a connection that leaves an hour or so later than your present one? If there is and you're able to change, it'll give you a lot of peace of mind during the nest few months.

Katys Grandad
08-03-2005, 21:01
There probably isn't the need to do that though Nostromo because you would almost certainly be placed on that flight if you missed the first one anyway.

Nothing more annoying in my experience than sitting in the terminal watching people board a flight you could have made while you wait another hour.

I'd stick with the original booking.

Susan
10-03-2005, 17:10
Hi All

Delta finally a replied to my question is 105 mins was enough time to change flights? This is their reply:

"This is a schedule that is flown everyday, and our passengers are able to make the connection. Hopefully that will give you a little peace of mind."

If they say so, it must be true. I'll sleep easy tonight [msnwink].

Thanks again for your replies.

Sue

Magical Dreams
14-03-2005, 21:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan
I've booked a flight with Delta to Orlando via Atlanta and the time between connecting flights is only 1hr 45mins. Is this enough time to collect baggage, go through customs and check-in again? It seems a bit tight to me!! I've never done an indirect flight before or flown with Delta so any information would be great.

[/quote]

We did this flight in July with Delta
Manchester to Atlanta then to Orlando.
Return was the same.

We thought that we was going to miss it.

But Delta will check you in for both flights from your original departure point if your first leg is with them.
So they know if you are expected.

We managed it OK.

On the way back, they did the same, our internal flight was delayed and they held our Manchester flight until we arrived.

As we sat down in our seats, they pulled away from the gate!

[msnsmile2]

wilfy
22-04-2006, 04:52
Update to this thread for Sue. Immigration took 45 mins to get through, even with a 5 minute delay due to shift change. This was with 3 flights all landing at the same time. Bags were on carousel by the time we emerged from immigration, straight thru customs, straight onto baggage recheck. Security check 5 minutes, and then another 15 minutes to terminal A for the connecting flight. About an hour 15 mins from getting off the plane to finding our boarding gate in terminal A.

chrisflowers
22-04-2006, 11:40
But watch Delta's status if you wish to continue to fly with them as they are teetering on the edge of bankcruptcy

wilfy
22-04-2006, 17:55
They've done a deal with the pilots so this looks less likely.