25-02-2005, 15:31
Anyone know anything about Monarch Airline
I have heard of them but never flew with them
I have been offered a good price for tickets in May £369 each including taxes

So would welcome some feed back before I book
Barbara

blott
25-02-2005, 15:54
Monarch are a charter airline and we've flown with them to Europe but not to the USA. Can't remember anything in particular about our flights so they must have been OK!

25-02-2005, 16:51
Monarch are one of the better well known charter airlines. Monarch Airlines began in 1967 as a holiday tour company's own airline. A fleet of eight Britannia turboprops based at Luton airport.

Nostromo
25-02-2005, 17:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Monarch are a charter airline and we've flown with them to Europe but not to the USA. Can't remember anything in particular about our flights so they must have been OK!
[/quote]

They now do both scheduled & charter flights from Manchester, mostly to holiday destinations in the Mediterranean area, Canary Islands etc. They have Boeing 757s and Airbus A330s in their fleet and seem to be very good value judging by the fares.

Nostromo
25-02-2005, 17:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
Barbara
[/quote]

If this is a quote to Orlando, they probably have some arrangement with another airline connecting in Madrid or Lisbon.

25-02-2005, 18:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]

They now do both scheduled & charter flights from Manchester, mostly to holiday destinations in the Mediterranean area, Canary Islands etc. They have Boeing 757s and Airbus A330s in their fleet and seem to be very good value judging by the fares.
[/quote]

We used them to go to Malaga, very good[msnwink]

chrizzy100
25-02-2005, 18:29
We only used them once many moons ago....my mum don't like them much because of lack of leg room.....but I can't remember having any worries about the fight or service.....

luckylady
25-02-2005, 18:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
Barbara
[/quote]

If this is a quote to Orlando, they probably have some arrangement with another airline connecting in Madrid or Lisbon.
[/quote]
No this is a direct flight from Gatwick to Sanford
flying with Monarch I asked she said flying on a Monarch plane
Barbara

TINAPETERS
25-02-2005, 19:18
We have flown with Monarch to Sanford back in 1997.
There was a short stop in Maine for about 1 hour to re-fuel.
This flight was from Cardiff.
The service was good, have to pay for own drinks and headsets.

eagleydo
25-02-2005, 19:32
When we first went to Florida we travelled with Monarch, Gatwick to Sanford. It was a lovely flight but legroom was less than BA or VIRGIN and there was the large tv's shared between lots of seats as opposed to back seat sets. The food was fairly good, drinks had to be paid for and because it was the first time on such a long flight I did not buy bottled water at the first chance and by the time I wanted too, halfway there, all was sold out. Shortage of water when coming back as well but I bought some at Sanford before leaving so I was ok. The crew were lovely but the aisles were small and when they served food you ended up with them practically sitting on you. This sounds negative but it wasn't really, just got use to being spoilt by BA and VIRGIN. Paid £410 with Virgin last year and £380 the year before(Sept.). Flew Monarch, 2001 and tickets were very cheap (£279) and good value for money.

Nostromo
25-02-2005, 21:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
The crew were lovely but the aisles were small and when they served food you ended up with them practically sitting on you. [/quote]

If the crew are really 'lovely', I would consider this a perk.[msnwink]

CERICROWLEY
25-02-2005, 21:47
We have just booked a mytravel flight from Cardiff to Sanford and the airplane is Monarch, again this was cheap £340 per person, so it was better to fly from Cardiff to Sanford which I hate than £450 per person with Virgin from Gatwick to MCO

I have been told my My Travel that they now use Moarch to fly their charters cutting back on expenses.

Although I love the schedule flights for space and that if a chartered flight is cheap I don't care how I get there, I'm going to the SUN:D[msncool][msncool]

JaimeSomers
25-02-2005, 21:53
Weve booked Monarch premier class for our trip in May. This is supposed to have a 34" seat pitch, seat back tv's, slightly better food, free headsets, drinks, priority boarding, extra bag allowance....however Im remaining slightly sceptical until I actually see it. The flight is direct from Glw to Sanford, and seems exellent value.....I think it cost us approx £120 pp extra return for the Premier seats....I flew with AA last year, with no seatback tvs, but they did have a 34" seat pitch, which is one of the biggest in economy class, or so Im told, and the leg room was quite good.....

I have flown with a charter airline before, and found it very cramped...but you gets what you pay for I suppose.... Ill let you know how we get on!!!

eagleydo
26-02-2005, 01:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
The crew were lovely but the aisles were small and when they served food you ended up with them practically sitting on you. [/quote]

If the crew are really 'lovely', I would consider this a perk.[msnwink]
[/quote]
They were lovely, not sure about the perk a little larger and a little older than the other airlines I seem to recall. [laugh]

chunkichik
10-03-2005, 04:23
I have flown with Monarch but only to Europe, I am in Luton and they even have fly to Florida from there in the peak season, or so I am told!!

E. Cosgrove
10-03-2005, 20:33
We flew Gatwick to Sanford with Monarch in 1999. No problems really, not a lot of leg room, but hey, it's a means to an end.

John Rocke
11-03-2005, 03:55
try visiting www.airlinequality.com for passenger comments on airlines around the world. While your on it take the time to read the reports for the airports at Bombay and Moscow, to get a perspective on the gripes we suffer on Transatlantic flights.

Mind you, it is worth remembering that most people fly without feeling the need to make comment either way, and those who do complain have usually had similar experiences to everybody else.

jr.

RIS
11-03-2005, 12:27
Monarch used to use B757's to the US which had to stop in Bangor Maine to refuel. The good news is that they now use A330's and go direct. They have also just aquired two B767's ( from My Travel ) these are also longhaul aircraft and can operate direct to Orlando from most UK airports.

Monarch have been in the game for a long time and have a generally very good reputation.

VIvandPhil
11-03-2005, 19:39
We have flown with Monarch several times to Sanford and were generally pleased with the service. It is worth the upgrade to the Premium seats as the normal seats are very cramped. Also, the luggage allowance is much less than on a scheduled flights. There were several heated exchanges at check in for the flight back as they are strict on charging for any excess weight.