PDA

View Full Version : Car Keys

Lyn
24-02-2005, 16:29
We are always given 2 keys at dollar, but in recent years these have been attached together with no way of splitting them, does anyone know if it possible to get 2 seperate keys, we like to keep one each then in the event of hubby locking them in the car (he did this at KSC[msnembarrased]) I will have a spare.

Carla
24-02-2005, 16:35
Every car that I've had in the last few years has always "beeped" loudly and continuously at me when I open the driver's door with the keys still in the ignition. Also I've always needed the key or electronic lock to actually lock the car and set the alarm. I doubt that you'd have a problem.

Jill
24-02-2005, 18:27
We have also found Dollar have gone over to having the two keys together on a metal ring. I did ask at Christmas if I could separate them and was told NO and that if I did I would be in trouble. I pointed out that we would prefer to have 2 separate keys in case we misplaced one but 'our friendly' agent said rules were rules.

christhear
24-02-2005, 19:45
I've never quite understood why they bother to give you 2 keys when you cant separate them. All this means is that instead of losing 1 key you loose 2[msnembarrased]

Cruella DeVilla
24-02-2005, 20:15
Mr CDV snips the wire with his Leatherman and he has one key and I have the other. They never say anything when we return as you can put them both back on the original ring![}:)]

Nostromo
24-02-2005, 20:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Mr CDV snips the wire with his Leatherman and he has one key and I have the other. They never say anything when we return as you can put them both back on the original ring![}:)]
[/quote]

My brother-in-law and I did exactly that and there was not a peep out of the Dollar staff. I think it is rather stupid of them to give two 'inseparable' keys. What's that supposed to achieve?

E. Cosgrove
24-02-2005, 20:54
If they are both the electronic type it could be in case the battery goes in one. Hubby got back from a business trip to Heathrow once only to find the battery had gone in his key and could not open the door. Guess who had to drive to Heathrow?[msnsad]

Nostromo
24-02-2005, 23:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
If they are both the electronic type it could be in case the battery goes in one. Hubby got back from a business trip to Heathrow once only to find the battery had gone in his key and could not open the door. Guess who had to drive to Heathrow?[msnsad]
[/quote]

I would have thought that when we pay so much for the car rental, the least they can do is to ensure that there are fresh batteries in the key-case! I doubt if they will then expire in 3 weeks.

SunLover
25-02-2005, 00:07
[/quote]

We do exactly the same. It just doesn't make sense having 2 keys on one fob.

markburwood
25-02-2005, 00:24
Chris it's probably so they can charge twice if you loose both keys.[msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
[/quote]

We do exactly the same. It just doesn't make sense having 2 keys on one fob.
[/quote]

Lyn
26-02-2005, 02:08
Thanks, Bill has already sorted out the Leatherman to take with us this year.

Cruella DeVilla
26-02-2005, 15:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
Thanks, Bill has already sorted out the Leatherman to take with us this year.
[/quote]

Just don't forget to put it in your hold baggage, we forgot one trip and had to leave it behind as we had checked our bags in the night before and Mr CDV had to leave it on the table as we were leaving for the airport. He was gutted when the shower head needed sorting at the hotel and he could not do it as old trusty was at home on the table[laugh][msneek]!!!!!!

melvazquez
26-02-2005, 15:22
Hi Lyn

We've just got back from Florida and thought Dollar had put our keys together by mistake, so my hubby had already bought a Leatherman and separated them.

Nobody said anything when we returned the car.

It's crazy!!!!

mel

lilyofthevalley
04-06-2005, 01:09
Its naughty I know, but do as my husband does. Go into walmart, visit the diy tool section and use their pliers to cut the wire keyring he he!

Jill
04-06-2005, 03:22
Very sneaky but a good idea - when I asked Dollar if I could separate the keys they got very cross and said no.

Has anyone used Budget - do they give you get 2 separate keys?

janice
04-06-2005, 04:31
Talking of Car Keys, this reminds me of our return home when, at 32,000 feet my hubby discovered the said car keys in his pocket. He waved them about at the kids to show them what he had stupidly done and my middle daughter burst into tears saying what are we going to do Dad? His reply, Not a lot from up here pet. I phoned Dollar as soon as we got home, the lady I spoke to just laughed and said it happens all the time, just throw them away!!! I was willing to mail them back but she said not to.

emm
04-06-2005, 12:46
We used Dollar in April and the 2 keys were already separated. One was on the keyring as usual and the spare one was in the car. Perhaps the message is getting through, that it is a good idea to have separate keys!!

LiesaAnna
04-06-2005, 13:44
we have found our "spare" key under the passenger front seat! and have only ever been given the one on its own!