PDA

View Full Version : Wing movement

cjboatman
24-02-2005, 14:59
This is a really silly question, but i am sure someone here will be able to answer, if i understand coorectly we have a large collection of flying experience in the forum.

On our recent flight to Orlando we eperienced a little turbulance. I had a seat with a great view of the wings. i noticed that the wing seemed to bend ..... a lot.

My question therefore is this, how much bend can a wing take? I assume that there is a normal amount of movement between the tip and other end.

Hope someone can answer.

24-02-2005, 15:18
Found this hope it helps, but all aircraft wings are designed to flex ALOT!! So don't worry.......

You would be surprised to see how strong the wings of a commercial airliner are.* If you had watched the documentary in the Discovery Channel about the Boeing 777 being the airliner of the 21st Century, you would have noticed how much stress the wings could take.* In fact, on a test rig of a Boeing 777 wing, the tip was stressed as much as 24 feet from the level position before it gave way!* Yes, it is possible for the wings to be torn off on ground due to collision or a crash, but the thought of a wing being torn off in flight is extremely unlikely.* The airplane design engineers have to comply with very stringent FAA Regulations on wing construction. So there is no fear as to the wings tearing off in flight at any time in severe turbulence!
[msnsmile2]

cjboatman
24-02-2005, 15:47
Thats reassuring.

It wasn't a matter that has stopped me getting on planes. Just happened to notice on this occassion that there was a lot of movement, thankfully less than 24 feet.

Thanks anyway.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-02-2005, 16:43
It's perfectly normal and a design feature of all aircraft. If the wings were built to be totally rigid then you would have a very big chance of problems, but with the in-built flexibility they have they are extremely safe.

Snapper
24-02-2005, 19:21
Engineers use the same principle with skys[bad language filtered out]ers. If they didn't flex, they would snap! So the nice folks at Boeing know exactly what kind of stresses the wings will have to deal with and they design them to flex enough to cope with that; and then flex some more too just to be safe.

Nostromo
24-02-2005, 19:26
Maybe the birdlike 'flapping' effect of the wings gives more lift to the plane? [msnscared][msnscared]

Snapper
24-02-2005, 19:53
That was meant to be skyscr apers.

24-02-2005, 23:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
Maybe the birdlike 'flapping' effect of the wings gives more lift to the plane? [msnscared][msnscared]
[/quote]

Errrrrrrr No![msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
25-02-2005, 00:11
Same applies to the big roller coasters, 2 young girls in the queue infront of me were very concerned at the movement in the supports of one of the rides ( Python i think!) they were desperately trying to attract the attention of the attendant to tell him, they thought it was on the verge of collapse until my husband put them right,[msnoo]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
Engineers use the same principle with skys[bad language filtered out]ers. If they didn't flex, they would snap! So the nice folks at Boeing know exactly what kind of stresses the wings will have to deal with and they design them to flex enough to cope with that; and then flex some more too just to be safe.
[/quote]

flyrr100
25-02-2005, 01:07
When Boeing were testing the 747 they bent the wing up using a huge hydraulic jack. It snapped with a crash at around 80dgrs!
Wings are made to flex. Next time you watch a jumbo land watch the wings flexing as the aircraft touches down. Thats due to the wings abruptly stopping producing lift. So, don't worry! It's normal.

cjboatman
26-02-2005, 02:28
Thanks everyone, i do feel much better now. I have seen the supports on coasters shaking a bit, but never mentioned to Karen or she would never go on.

I'm glad to hear this sort of movement is normal, now, what about all the noises during taxi???

i really am a good flyer, honestly.

Robert5988
26-02-2005, 02:35
If the plane goes into a vertical dive I understand the wings don't flex at all as they are not supplying any lift.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
26-02-2005, 03:07
Before we scare anyone half to death and put them off flying ever again, how many airliners do you know that have done into a "vertical dive"?

Why would the wings be any less flexible in a dive than in level flight - I do not understand what you are getting at?.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
If the plane goes into a vertical dive I understand the wings don't flex at all as they are not supplying any lift.
[/quote]

26-02-2005, 03:48
[/quote]

Strange thing to say Robert??????????????

Robert5988
26-02-2005, 12:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: If the plane goes into a vertical dive I understand the wings don't flex at all as they are not supplying any lift.[/quote]
For anyone who actually took the above post seriously, let me reassure them that airliners do not go into vertical dives. I suspect the following quote by Nostromo was not meant to be taken seriously either.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Maybe the birdlike 'flapping' effect of the wings gives more lift to the plane[/quote]

The purpose of wings on aircraft(and birds for that matter) is to provide lift. In turbulent air this causes them to flex.

Some planes like jet fighters(in case of any misunderstanding these do not carry paying passengers) can go into a vertical dive. In this manoeuvre they are not providing lift and hence do not flex.(well not much anyway)

Robert(suitably chastised)

26-02-2005, 13:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: If the plane goes into a vertical dive I understand the wings don't flex at all as they are not supplying any lift.[/quote]
For anyone who actually took the above post seriously, let me reassure them that airliners do not go into vertical dives. I suspect the following quote by Nostromo was not meant to be taken seriously either.
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Maybe the birdlike 'flapping' effect of the wings gives more lift to the plane[/quote]

The purpose of wings on aircraft(and birds for that matter) is to provide lift. In turbulent air this causes them to flex.

Some planes like jet fighters(in case of any misunderstanding these do not carry paying passengers) can go into a vertical dive. In this manoeuvre they are not providing lift and hence do not flex.(well not much anyway)

[/quote]

Im glad you clarified as there are a lot of nervous flyers on the forum who do not have the same understanding, knowledge or interest in aviation as you and I do[msnwink]

Now you have stood in that corner long enough so you are forgiven LOL!![msnsmile2]

Don't get me going on jet fighters, it is my dream to fly in a Tornado ever since I diverted in to RAF Lossiemouth............Have to make do with Flight Simulator!!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/lal/200522691734_raftornado2.gif

Nostromo
26-02-2005, 13:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal

[i]
Im glad you clarified as there are a lot of nervous flyers on the forum who do not have the same understanding, knowledge or interest in aviation as you and I do[msnwink]

Speak for someone else Lal. I have great interest in aviation since I was a kid. I used to be the best paper plane maker in my school as many of my old classmates would tell you![msnwink][msnwink]

26-02-2005, 13:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal

[i]

Speak for someone else Lal. I have great interest in aviation since I was a kid. I used to be the best paper plane maker in my school as many of my old classmates would tell you![msnwink][msnwink]
[/quote]

Great the more keen aviators the better[msnwink]

Robert5988
26-02-2005, 13:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I used to be the best paper plane maker in my school [/quote]

Paper! You wouldn't catch me flying in one of those. The wings would flex far too much and think of the fire risk!

26-02-2005, 14:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I used to be the best paper plane maker in my school [/quote]

Paper! You wouldn't catch me flying in one of those. The wings would flex far too much and think of the fire risk!
[/quote]

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Steve and Dawn
26-02-2005, 17:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
It's perfectly normal and a design feature of all aircraft. If the wings were built to be totally rigid then you would have a very big chance of problems, but with the in-built flexibility they have they are extremely safe.
[/quote]

In fact there is more chance of them snapping off if they were rigid.

Steve & Dawn

Steve and Dawn
26-02-2005, 17:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

[/quote]

Now you have stood in that corner long enough so you are forgiven LOL!![msnsmile2]

Don't get me going on jet fighters, it is my dream to fly in a Tornado ever since I diverted in to RAF Lossiemouth............Have to make do with Flight Simulator!!!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/lal/200522691734_raftornado2.gif
[/quote]

I was staioned at RAF Lossiemouth Lucy back in 1974.... We saw the first Jaguars in Service.[msnsmile] I ended up there after training and giving my 3 area choices of Scampton, Waddington and Conningsby all in Lincolnshire..[msnscared] Anyway I did end up being at Scampton as my last tour of duty (5 years)and was with the Red Arrows.

Steve & Dawn

Nostromo
26-02-2005, 17:55

[/quote]

Fire risk is right. I got a lot of flak when one of the girls complained to the teacher!

26-02-2005, 23:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
I was staioned at RAF Lossiemouth Lucy back in 1974.... We saw the first Jaguars in Service. I ended up there after training and giving my 3 area choices of Scampton, Waddington and Conningsby all in Lincolnshire.. Anyway I did end up being at Scampton as my last tour of duty (5 years)and was with the Red Arrows.
[/quote]

Steve & Dawn

WOW! You were with the Red Arrows, how cool is that! Tell me more please I love them, they were up at Manchester when they had the Commonwealth Games we got quite close to them, the pilots came over and gave the children bits and pieces, so tell me more!!!!

flyrr100
27-02-2005, 00:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cjboatman

I'm glad to hear this sort of movement is normal, now, what about all the noises during taxi???

[/quote]

Aircraft are designed to fly. The last thing the designers and engineers do, after the thing flies straight, is to attach wheels and make it taxi!
So, any noises you hear are hydraulic pumps (the nosewheel steering is hydraulic), the bumps in the ground, and the loose bolts that hold the wings on!!! ONLY KIDDING!

27-02-2005, 01:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cjboatman

[/quote]

Aircraft are designed to fly. The last thing the designers and engineers do, after the thing flies straight, is to attach wheels and make it taxi!
So, any noises you hear are hydraulic pumps (the nosewheel steering is hydraulic), the bumps in the ground, and the loose bolts that hold the wings on!!! ONLY KIDDING!
[/quote]

Jeff,

What about all the duck tape[msnwink]

benfilo
27-02-2005, 01:50
when an aircraft is flying because of the shape of the wing the air beneath is a higher pressure than above, this creates lift and so the wing bends upwards. In turbulent weather because of the air pressure changes this difference between the top and bottom of the wings alters causing the wings to straighten or curve down. Hope that makes sense seems clearer in my head than on screen

Steve and Dawn
27-02-2005, 02:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
I was staioned at RAF Lossiemouth Lucy back in 1974.... We saw the first Jaguars in Service. I ended up there after training and giving my 3 area choices of Scampton, Waddington and Conningsby all in Lincolnshire.. Anyway I did end up being at Scampton as my last tour of duty (5 years)and was with the Red Arrows.
[/quote]

Steve & Dawn

WOW! You were with the Red Arrows, how cool is that! Tell me more please I love them, they were up at Manchester when they had the Commonwealth Games we got quite close to them, the pilots came over and gave the children bits and pieces, so tell me more!!!!
[/quote]

When they first first arrived at Scampton it was fantastic everybody walking around with stiff necks from watching them all the time...lol[msnwink] it was fantastic. After a while the novelty wore off. During the winter months, subject to weather conditions, they were allocated 6 X 40mins practice slots over and around the Airfield each day. It was wierd you would be watching half of a "Diamond 9" Or just 3 of them flying in formation This is to train the new pilots. It takes almost to the spring to fly a full 9 ship. Then they go to Cyprus to learn the new seasons display. We got to see some right "Characters". They were a decent buch of guys mostly if ever you wanted signed posters etc you could always get them. Some of the guys I worked with went up for a jolly with them. One guy was a lowly airman his pilot took him up to an airbase up north and gave him one of his shoulder rank badges and took him in the officer's mess for lunch! another recounted flying low upside down over the Lake distict. While I was there I saw Torvil and Dean, (Dean went up) Ian Botham, Prince Andrew and Fergie (Andrew flew with the Reds and Fergie flew in a bulldog) There was always some celeb or other being taken up in the winter. We lost 3 aircraft on the base one fatal while I was there and a couple at displays or in transit to them.I was an RAF Fireman. One that springs to mind was when one of the "Synchro Pair" tried to fly under a power line (Bear in mind when they travel to different venues the aircraft engineer flies in the back)Well, he hit the power line and the cable dug in just below the front of the cockpit about 18 inches and then snapped. But by this time the engineer had gone....Bang!! out he went! He landed in someones back garden the pilot managed to get the aircract to Kinloss I think. I saw the aircaft when it came back and he was lucky it didn't take his legs off. Anyway he was asked to leave the Red Arrows after that. Will shut up now....going on a bit...lol[msnsmile]

Steve & Dawn

bryj
11-04-2005, 20:22
One of the most amazing sights you might see is watching a 747 from the start of its take-off roll until it gets airborne- if you get the opportunity, just watch the wing tips, and you will see them flex upwards about 16 feet by the end of the take-off roll, at which point the aircraft rotates skywards, the wings generating enough lift to cause nearly 400 tonnes to climb into the sky. It really is spectacular. I'm lucky enough to see it regularly since I fly them- don't misunderstand me, I don't look back at my wings as we get airborne, just watch others whilst I sit in the queue at Heathrow!
As to noises on taxi-out, 747s have a peculiar habit of making unusual noises from the nosewheel area during particularly tight turns eg. lining up at the end of the runway; more often you will hear a significant amount of noise from motors extending the flaps to the take-off position during taxi-out; likewise, fairly soon after take-off you will hear the same motors retracting the flaps, usually in 3 or 4 stages, back into the clean wing position for efficient high-speed flight; and, of course, there is a fair amount of noise as the undercarriage is retracted into the plane, and the associated doors motored closed. Then there is the noise of the 6-month olds expressing their displeasure at this unnatural means of transport, and next, hopefully, the clink of ice on glass as you are offered your first g & t.
Bry