PDA

View Full Version : Which Restaurant

marksd
22-02-2005, 03:33
This may have been done before but, which of these three is the best all you can eat restaurant based on price, quality of food, service and cleanliness?

We ate in all three on i drive last November and I would rank in order.

1. Golden Coral, steak cooked to order in front of you,plenty of variety and mash potatoe to die for, very clean and friendly.
2. Sizzler, steak ok, waitresses looked and acted like they did'nt care, clean.
3.Ponderosa, the one we used was awfull, steak like leather, food on floor, someone actualy slipped and dropped there plate although the staff serving us were very nice.

LiesaAnna
22-02-2005, 11:33
we enjoyed Golden Coral both times we went to florida, the first time ponderosa was better in all areas but last Dec it was G/C service was better,
in ponderosa the waiter was shoving coffee down us like it was going out of fashion, i wouldnt mind but i dont normally drink coffee!!
in G/C the waiter was very friendly very helpful and the food was great!!:)

Ray&Sarah
22-02-2005, 12:15
Voted for the GC, but haven't been to any of them for a while, tend to eat breakfast at the villa and go to a full service restaurant if we eat out for dinner in the evening. But we preferred GC of the Ponderosa.[msnsmile2]

amy
22-02-2005, 13:47
We do the same a Sarah, some of those buffets,you just don't know how long the food has been stood on display.

julieanne
22-02-2005, 14:25
Voted for GC altho it's a long time since we've been there.
But I wouldn't really include any of these 3 on my fav list - sorry!

Cruella DeVilla
22-02-2005, 14:40
Sorry, avoid all these places. Ponderosa gave me food poisoning years ago, so would not go there again if you paid me.

Nostromo
22-02-2005, 14:50
We've been to Golden Corral and it is good without being spectacular. Tend to avoid Ponderosa after all the adverse publicity, espe by the forum members. Having said that, some of the others in our group last year went to Ponderosa and while they did not exactly get food poisoning, did not particularly relish what they ate.

For dining outside the parks, we prefer places like Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze, Columbia, Rainforest Cafe etc.

22-02-2005, 18:03
Sorry don't go to any of these places, they all look a bit yuk![msnscared]

caroline
22-02-2005, 19:21
Went to Ponderosa for breakfast once, never again! Haven't tried the other two as we've never fancied them.

Nostromo
22-02-2005, 19:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
Sorry don't go to any of these places, they all look a bit yuk![msnscared]
[/quote]

I can see what you mean. As I have mentioned in another posting a few months ago, I still harbour some doubts about the cooking media used in many of the US restaurants in busy tourist areas, excepting the top-end ones. Either they use cheap oils or perhaps reuse them when they should not be doing so. I am sure that our nauseating experience at Bongos Cuban Cafe had something to do with bad cooking oil and I have been to other places where the food has this odd oily flavour to it.

julieanne
22-02-2005, 19:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
Went to Ponderosa for breakfast once, never again! Haven't tried the other two as we've never fancied them.
[/quote]

These are not our most popular places are they [xx(]

CarolAnn
22-02-2005, 19:53
Only been in a Ponderosa once...have to say the English football scarfs didn't really work for me, and the food was less than perfect. Sometimes wonder if it is the location rather than the chain of Restaurant that makes the difference? We haven't tried the others, we do love a Denny's though :)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-02-2005, 20:14
We'd avoid all three too. Like Caroline we went to Ponderosa once and all I can say is yuck [sick]

E. Cosgrove
22-02-2005, 21:40
Never tried any of them[msnsad]
Like Carol we love Denny's but only for breakfast[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
22-02-2005, 21:44
I've been to several Denny's around the US. They are good, though the meals tend to be on the heavy side. Denny's and La Quinta Inn seem to have a crush on one another; wherever there is a LQI, there is usually a Denny's on its doorstep, quite often near a major airport. Convenient, to say the least :).

Ray&Sarah
22-02-2005, 21:52
We have been to a few Dennys in the US, food is ok, nothing special but as we have one near our villa it is a good place to stop off on the way to the villa, or out for the day. Must try a pancakes place this time, I remember that some of the members of the site were keen on one of these.[msnsmile2]

george
23-02-2005, 00:41
Went to Golden Corral for breakfast last visit - food was cold didn't enjoy it at all - quite a lot of people had recommended it to us. Used to go to Sizzler years ago and it was ok but haven't been recently and also went to Ponderosa and didn't rate that. We definately prefer full service restaurants to buffet style these days.

Cruella DeVilla
23-02-2005, 00:44
Dennys is ok for breakfast occasionally as it is cheap n cheerful and filling but they are always heaving!

KJH
23-02-2005, 01:18
Have only had a breakfast at Sizzlers which was clean and friendly and the food was well displayed, walked in and walked out of the others, definitley wouldn't eat an evening meal in one.

Friends ate at Ponderosa last week and said it was awful. Bit like left over schools dinners

Kaz

WR1
23-02-2005, 01:23
Never been to any of these and from the look of them plus posts on this forum we wouldn't want to either!

lisag
23-02-2005, 03:52
Even worse is Western Sizzlin - OMG awful place.

I like Denny and Bob Evans for Breakfast.

julieanne
23-02-2005, 12:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
We have been to a few Dennys in the US, food is ok, nothing special but as we have one near our villa it is a good place to stop off on the way to the villa, or out for the day. Must try a pancakes place this time, I remember that some of the members of the site were keen on one of these.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Ray & Sarah - try an IHOP for brekkie - one of the many places I LOVE for breakfast [msntongue] [msntongue]

george
23-02-2005, 12:56
Cracker Barrel is great for breakfast.

julieanne
23-02-2005, 13:05
Not tried CB but will next time (whenever next time is :()

Cruella DeVilla
23-02-2005, 13:36
I think the service in IHOP leaves a lot to be desired, we have walked out of a couple after being left sitting for ages. They do nice breakfasts though.

I tried one of the McDonalds griddles at Xmas and I really liked it surprisingly. I don't like McDs but can stomach their breakfast menu occasionally.

Cracker Barrel is ok, went there with Rosie last trip, comfort, home cooking type of food.

julieanne
23-02-2005, 14:07
CDV - we have walked out of a couple of IHOP's due to poor service.
The one on 192 at Poinciana is usually good, a bit slow on a weekend, but as long as they are going as fast as they can I wouldn't complain - it's when they ignore you I get mad.
Also there is one further along 192 (past Medieval Times way) which is usually good service.

Which ones have you tried?

I love their breakfasts but wouldn't go back if the service was poor.

I like McD's breakfasts too for a quickie option [msntongue]

pieman790
23-02-2005, 15:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lisag
Even worse is Western Sizzlin - OMG awful place.

I like Denny and Bob Evans for Breakfast.

[/quote]

We went in by mistake (western sizzler) last year and it reminded me of transport cafe. The food was average but it was cheap and if your after a cheap no frills meal then it could be the place for you. We like the GC for breakfast.

pigletsplace2003
25-02-2005, 01:46
Ponderosa and sizzler are just pants [xx(][xx(]

Ray&Sarah
25-02-2005, 02:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pigletsplace2003
Ponderosa and sizzler are just pants [xx(][xx(]
[/quote]

Take it you're not keen then John & Emma.[msnwink]:D

greenpete
25-02-2005, 02:27
We went to the Ponderosa and Sizzler back in '94. It was our first visit to Florida and we were in awe of nearly everything! Over the years our tastes have changed and we are more discerning now and also I think the standards have dropped considerably. Denny's not too bad though.

Ray&Sarah
25-02-2005, 02:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by greenpete
We went to the Ponderosa and Sizzler back in '94. It was our first visit to Florida and we were in awe of nearly everything! Over the years our tastes have changed and we are more discerning now and also I think the standards have dropped considerably. Denny's not too bad though.
[/quote]

Haven't been to a Sizzler but thats the exact same thing we thought about the Ponderosa and the Golden Corral.[msnsmile]

dbrook
25-02-2005, 11:03
Only had breakfast at them and didn't rate Ponderosa at all. Golden Coral is the best for breakfast IMHO and the kids love it too.

Newhomebuyer
28-02-2005, 12:29
We like Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel if we are eating a breakfast away from the villa. We also like to go to Celebration occasionally at brunch time, the Market Tavern does a great eggs benedict.
If I had to choose one from the poll it would be GC but I would not recommend any of them.

E. Cosgrove
28-02-2005, 15:54
Market St cafe at Celebration is my favourite place for breakfast[msnsmile2]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Newhomebuyer
We like Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel if we are eating a breakfast away from the villa. We also like to go to Celebration occasionally at brunch time, the Market Tavern does a great eggs benedict.
If I had to choose one from the poll it would be GC but I would not recommend any of them.

[/quote]

julieanne
28-02-2005, 16:44
Oh don't - my mouth's watering at the very thought of it [:P] [msntongue]