PDA

View Full Version : prices for flights

domster
20-02-2005, 13:38
What do you think you would pay for a maximum price for flights to Orlando. I will take direct and indirect on this one.

DOM

brizzle
20-02-2005, 13:53
Dependant on time of year and school holidays so you'll get lot's of varied answers on this.
I said £300-£350 because that is our usual price we have paid through Charter on our trips so far (Nov, Dec x 3, April)

If I were to go in August for example I would probably go to £400-450 but can't justify paying more.

Brizzle.

Ray&Sarah
20-02-2005, 13:56
We are stuck with the peak times at the moment, our boys being at school and the oldest being in his GCSE year so we would be willing to pay £500 or slightly more just to get to go to Florida.[msnoo][msnsmile]

LiesaAnna
20-02-2005, 14:24
we have paid £320 for ours so far on both trips i think, so altho would like to pay a bit less dont really mind that, but have had 2 quotes from same place 6 weeks from 1st quote to 2nd (getting prices for daughter and partner and baby) and the prices are £100 difference already taxes etc!!!
but we go around Nov/Dec time so wouldnt expect to pay alot more for these times (not christmas):)

Nostromo
20-02-2005, 15:32
We paid £283 last year, but since the question was about the maximum that I would be prepared to shell out, I went for the £300-350 range.

ORLANDO_MAGIC
20-02-2005, 15:36
Very hard question simply because it depends entirely when you are going and also prices vary considerably from direct to indirect flights.

I once paid less than £300.00 but it did involve going via Amsterdam to Detroit and finally on to Orlando with the trip taking nearly 23 hours and though it was fun at the time im not sure i would do it again unless it was very cheap and if you have kids its not even an option.

My upcoming trip next month i paid £450.00 with Virgin/Continental,though i did miss a better deal a couple of times by ummming and errring if you get my drift.

If i was going in July/August and flying direct with Virgin i would be willing to pay up to £600.00.

John.

20-02-2005, 16:58
We have to go in July/August for 3 reasons, its school hols, we like to go for 3-4 weeks and its our business quiet time.

We also like to go Virgin Premium so it cost £1100 per adult and £800 per child, as you can imagine our total costs for flights is hefty.

P.S We are not rich!!!!![msnscared]

chunkichik
20-02-2005, 17:02
This is a tough one, I have voted for £350-£400 at the time we usually go which is Oct/Nov but if I had to pay £600 each or not go, then I would pay it. We paid an extra £150 each on our first trip to upgrade to Premium and wanted to this time as I have terrible coccyx pain in economy but with prices for premium with Virgin at £779 per adult, I have bought a strange looking coccyx cushion for £12.99 so lets hope it works[msnsmile2]

E. Cosgrove
20-02-2005, 18:21
You asked the max I would be prepared to pay. Depends on how desperate I was to get there. When my sister and I booked last year we wanted direct flights but left it too late to book for half term so flew PE going and Upper Class coming back, it was more than £600+....On that occasion I was prepared to pay it ( not cos I'm rich but because it was important to travel at that time) but it wouldn't be a regular thing[msneek]
I think £500 for a direct flight in peak season is not unreasonable, but would hope to get one for a lot less off peak and booking well in advance.

amy
20-02-2005, 21:58
We have never paid over £350 whatever the season, this is either by using charter travel or a friend who is an independant agent so doesn't charge us any commission and has the time to look around, also flexability of dates. shift working can be useful at times.

chris
20-02-2005, 23:32
We are going in August and the cheapest we got, with charter travel was £720. Had no choice but pay it as 2 of the kids are doing GCSEs so couldnt take them out of school this year. We normally go February and pay £300 inc tax.

Ray&Sarah
21-02-2005, 00:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris
We are going in August and the cheapest we got, with charter travel was £720. Had no choice but pay it as 2 of the kids are doing GCSEs so couldnt take them out of school this year. We normally go February and pay £300 inc tax.
[/quote]

That was our problem too Chris, couldn't take our eldest out of school because of his GCSE's. So we paid £695 for virgin economy seats and then upgraded to premium.[msnsmile2]

Sharon G
21-02-2005, 00:30
We always go at Easter time which is quite expensive. But go about a week before which drops the price considerably to around £480 with Virgin direct!!

Sharon

KJH
21-02-2005, 03:38
wE FLEW OUT 31ST JAN-18 FEB AND HAD TO PAY£630 EACH FOR 2 AD AND 3AD/CHILDREN
PE. WITH VIRGIN. £3,024 INC TAXES

ctgirlscout
21-02-2005, 05:41
I hate to fly, so my answer would have to be $0!!!!! We always drive.

Nostromo
21-02-2005, 10:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout
[/quote]

I realise that it is each to their own and all that, but isn't this taking it a bit too far? After all, it is quite a long way to drive across the Atlantic Ocean......

LiesaAnna
21-02-2005, 11:33
[/quote]

Nostromo could it have something to do with the fact Theresa lives in the USA so obviously she wont be crossing the Atlantic ocean.......

Nostromo
21-02-2005, 14:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
[/quote]

Nostromo could it have something to do with the fact Theresa lives in the USA so obviously she wont be crossing the Atlantic ocean.......
[/quote]

Oh, how stupid of me! Looks like this is one joke that has well and truly backfired![msnembarrased][msnembarrased].

Cruella DeVilla
21-02-2005, 15:24
I guess we would pay what we had to as our timescales are always limited. Don't like to pay more than 500 squid each though.

orlandodaze
21-02-2005, 16:19
This year will be our first time to fly direct from Dublin to Orlando with Aer Lingus at a very competitive price approx 500 for late June.In previous years we have gone with Delta ,Dublin to Atlanta ,Atlanta to Orlando,or Dublin Gatwick to Orlando. We try to get the best price available,though I believe Aer Lingus have cut back on meals so we shall bring some provisions with us. It will also be good to clear customs in Dublin and have that part out of the way. We as a family shall miss the individual Tvs , but a bargain is a bargain so we will try not to complain.

daisy
21-02-2005, 19:03
does anyone know why the price goes up so much from 2 weeks to 3 .when i booked there was quite a differnce but was determined to go for 3 weeks so has cost us quite a few pennies

Katys Grandad
21-02-2005, 20:02
Orlandodaze - I'm interested in your comment that you will "clear customs in Dublin and have that part out of the way". Are you saying that there won't be a need to do that in Orlando?

Ray&Sarah
21-02-2005, 20:59
Ray did this on a business trip to Chicago, flew into Dublin and cleared customs and then didn't have to do it in Chicago, said it was very good and quite painless.[msnsmile2]

Katys Grandad
21-02-2005, 21:21
Makes you wonder why there isn't a similar arrangement in the UK.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-02-2005, 21:37
We just did it on our trip to Los Angeles. Very easy and we were fasttracked through immigration on arrival at LAX with no questions asked.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Ray did this on a business trip to Chicago, flew into Dublin and cleared customs and then didn't have to do it in Chicago, said it was very good and quite painless.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

domster
21-02-2005, 22:34
I personally would not pay more than 500 quid. But I have been struggling with direct flights to get under this for Aug.

I have managed to get under this, but the flight is not direct.

DOM

21-02-2005, 23:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by domster
I personally would not pay more than 500 quid. But I have been struggling with direct flights to get under this for Aug.

I have managed to get under this, but the flight is not direct.

DOM
[/quote]

Dom who are you flying with?

search66
22-02-2005, 00:37
I get very cheap flights from BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) to MCO (Orlando) because I live in the States. Southwest Air usually offers round-trip tickets between $100(US) to $150(US).

:)

christhear
22-02-2005, 01:02
Being tied in to school holidays I have no choice but to pay quite high flight prices. Seeing as we are going during the summer holidays I decided that as the flight was the major cost we would go for 3 weeks. Roll on the time when I can go off season - only another 11 years to wait.

Ray&Sarah
22-02-2005, 01:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by christhear
Being tied in to school holidays I have no choice but to pay quite high flight prices. Seeing as we are going during the summer holidays I decided that as the flight was the major cost we would go for 3 weeks. Roll on the time when I can go off season - only another 11 years to wait
[/quote]

Thats what we keep saying too Chris but then our youngest tells us he wants to be a lawyer and won't qualify until he's 27!![msnscared][msnoo][msnsmile]

brizzle
22-02-2005, 01:53
Being tied in to school holidays I have no choice but to pay quite high flight prices. Seeing as we are going during the summer holidays I decided that as the flight was the major cost we would go for 3 weeks. Roll on the time when I can go off season - only another 11 years to wait
[/quote]

Thats what we keep saying too Chris but then our youngest tells us he wants to be a lawyer and won't qualify until he's 27!![msnscared][msnoo][msnsmile]
[/quote]

Ah but at a certain age you can just leave them at home anyway..
..and when he qualifies he'll be taking *you* to Florida, gratis :)

Brizzle.

domster
22-02-2005, 02:31
Lucy,

The flight I saw is now no longer. It was AA via new York £385 return.

DOM

Ray&Sarah
22-02-2005, 02:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah but at a certain age you can just leave them at home anyway..
..and when he qualifies he'll be taking *you* to Florida, gratis :)

Brizzle.
[/quote]

True Brizzle, he reckons he's going to earn £million a year at some high flying London practice, so I'm looking forward to a pampered old age.[msnwink]:D

marksd
22-02-2005, 03:16
18 of us went last november. 12 went with AA at a cost of 283 and 195 for kids but the flight was via Chicago. We wanted a direct flight and got flights for six of us at 283 and 193 for children with BA direct from Gatwick booked through TravelCity Direct. I would pay more, but only for direct flights.

orlandodaze
22-02-2005, 04:21
In reply to Kathys Granddad I apologise you clear immigration in Dublin on route to the USA. Its great because the officials in Dublin always appear much more human than the guys across the Atlantic and also you are much fresher and alert at the start of your journey dealing with beauracy. Silly me on my last posting I left out the euro sign ,those flights were actually 500 euros which is about 345 sterling ,which I think for school holiday time is very good value.Talking about cheap flights Iam flying over to Aberdeen to visit my daughter who is at university there on her 20th birthday tomorrow for 49cents (before tax etc) .We travel with Ryanair ,and so far I have never have had any complaints.Maybe some time in the future Ryanair may consider flying to the USA&gt;

karen.nixon
22-02-2005, 20:21
We're travelling on the 9th August and it has cost us £559 per adult and £469 per child. Unfortunately we've been caught out because of our oldest having GCSE's this year so have to go in the peak time. Bit of an ouch on our pocket but we're really excited to be going again.[msnsmile2]

Lyn
24-02-2005, 16:00
I have to go in school holidays which always bumps the price up, as it is Bill's 60th this year we have upgraded to Premier Plus cost us over £600 each, some time later my daughter decided she wanted to come as well, to get her a seat on the same plane & upgraded has cost over £800 I would never normally consider this amount but wanted us to all be together for the BIG day.

Fran19
01-03-2005, 19:18
We too have to go in the school holidays and always end up paying between £500 - £650. I rang the people on the link above and was quoted (cheapest) about £570 and then it just went upwards of that figure. That was for both indirect and the higher price for direct. I would love to know if anyone has ever got flights in the school holidays for less than £500. We do always want a good baggage allowance I should add and maybe its that that costs us so much (?) I just don't know if we use the wrong agents but then again we sometimes ring the flight companies direct. We usually fly from Gatwick, tho' would travel to another more distant airport if the price was right. We usually book for between 5 and 8 of us.

janwebb
02-03-2005, 15:03
We too are limited to going during the main school holidays in August, but looking at some of the prices on here, we've got a pretty good deal. Flying direct from Manchester to Sanford with a premium upgrade (to the upper deck on a 747) cost is £472 each with TravelCity Direct

Just seems such a long time to wait!!! :(

Fran19
02-03-2005, 18:08
Thanks for mentioning TravelCity Direct janwebb. I have just looked at their website and they have very good prices for August. Prob. book with them in future. The prices from Gatwick were not as good as you have got tho', did you book this trip up many months ago? I agree it does seem a long time to wait but it's something to focus on when the days are drizzly here! [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

janwebb
02-03-2005, 18:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fran19
Thanks for mentioning TravelCity Direct janwebb. I have just looked at their website and they have very good prices for August. Prob. book with them in future. The prices from Gatwick were not as good as you have got tho', did you book this trip up many months ago? I agree it does seem a long time to wait but it's something to focus on when the days are drizzly here! [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Hi Fran,

Glad I could help!! We booked in November, but have just added two extra flights (with upgrades) at exactly the same price as we had before, so all in all, seems like a good deal.

I agree that especially with all this snow were having, the FLorida sunshine is something to look forward to!! [clap]

sjp123
18-03-2005, 20:22
has anyone tried booking with travelcity direct, weve used them twice now and there pretty good, we flew direct from manchester to sanford and paid £178 each in february this year.[msnsmile]

18-03-2005, 23:19
Personally I would not touch Travel City Direct with a barge poll![msneek]

domster
19-03-2005, 20:32
Been on the web this weekend for flights for our possible closing in Aug.

No flights for under £650 (and they were not direct)

GULP!!

DOM

Fran19
21-03-2005, 20:46
Lucy

Why would you not use Travel City Direct? Quite important for us to know as we were thinking of using them a couple of times this year.

Robert5988
21-03-2005, 21:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Why would you not use Travel City Direct? Quite important for us to know as we were thinking of using them a couple of times this year.[/quote]

I share Lucy's opinion. Do a search and you will see threads on them. Even though they advertise Fly/Drives; you can only get these prices with their inflated prices for car insurance - which works out £000s more than the same car(with the same insurance) than from other firms; including from this site. Try to get a fly/drive and just not collect the car and they won't let you; you have to pay for their insurance in advance!

I just dislike the whole way they operate.

Katys Grandad
21-03-2005, 21:54
Why does TCD require your name and address before they quote a price? I have never come across that anywhere else - the cynic in me suggests that it just extends the premium rate call you have to make to speak to them. They even charge a fee for 'guaranteed seats together'!

Just add all these things together and compare the price to flights and car hire booked seperately. You will find they are far from good value.

I have used them in the past but I also have some issues with their whole approach to doing business. Unless things change significantly, I won't be going back to them.

21-03-2005, 22:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fran19
Lucy

Why would you not use Travel City Direct? Quite important for us to know as we were thinking of using them a couple of times this year.
[/quote]

I think they are the lowest of the low in the avaition world - I am ex crew and I would not fly with them even if I was given a free ticket!

I agree with Robert I dislike they whole way they operate, their aircraft are not the best to say the least and the cabin service is worse than most charters, if I were you I would look else where - you really do get what you pay for in aviation[msnwink]

Fran19
21-03-2005, 23:36
Thanks Robert, Katy's Grandad & Lucy
I will take your advice and look elsewhere. I certainly thought the car prices were inflated compared to what we have paid elsewhere. Didn't realise of course about the condition of the aircraft.. At the end of the day if the aircraft is not up to it, then it's not cheap!! We have had good prices in the past from US, United and Delta and experienced good flights so will go back to one of these. Shame 'cos they look good at first glance.
[msnsad]

janwebb
22-03-2005, 12:21
oh dear, I hope we don't have any problems with TCD - were booked to go in August this year. (through a recommendation) [msnsad]

Our upgraded prices of £472 included car hire, so maybe we were lucky!

I have seen lots of threads on here for various airlines, including the 'biggies' i.e. Virgin which are both good & bad so it doesn't always go that you get what you pay for because Virgin flights are not cheap!

First time we visited Florida in 2003 we came on a package holiday with Unijet and those flights were absolutely terrible, so hopefully it can't be any worse !!

Frosty
22-03-2005, 15:44
I just flew out last week (10th)

Cost me £344 with First Choice in their premium seating, which i thouhght was good value. Booked it online direct with First choice about a week before i flew.

In January it cost £259 for the same seats, again booked direct.

Both deals were flight only.

Neil

domster
04-04-2005, 21:45
Still not getting anything under £600 for Aug.

DOM

Katys Grandad
04-04-2005, 23:10
DOM - Are you flying from London or somewhere else in the UK?

julieanne
05-04-2005, 01:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
I just flew out last week (10th)

Cost me £344 with First Choice in their premium seating, which i thouhght was good value. Booked it online direct with First choice about a week before i flew.

In January it cost £259 for the same seats, again booked direct.

Both deals were flight only.

Neil
[/quote]

Neil
I was looking at First Choice website last week. Their prices for premium seats seem too good to be ture - so pleased to hear you thought them good value [msnsmile]

domster
05-04-2005, 21:55
I have tried all airports. London is only cheaper by £10 from manchester

DOM

Katys Grandad
05-04-2005, 22:15
Seems a lot of money especially if there is a family of you. They must think that they can sell them at that price though. Time will tell!

Magical Dreams
14-04-2005, 02:03
HATE FLIGHT PRICES

These should be capped!

We paid just over £600 each last July when we went to buy our villa!

It was a big shock!
Will not be doing it again!!

heathercobbett
14-04-2005, 12:11
We bit the bullet for 20 years while the children got through school (but it was still worth it) The last peak flight we had cost us £550 each for 5 of us.

Now we can go off peak and we usually pay less than £200 in Jan and up to £300 other times.We would go wit anyone but the aforementioned tcd

However,there seems to have been a change in the last couple of years and you can get your fingers burned leaving it to the last minute.

becbecs
14-04-2005, 14:36
Having children at school we can only go in the Holiday season.

Fortunatley for our next trip in August 2005 with Virgin we got half price [clap] flights as we were delayed on our last flight by 5 hours. We still ended up paying over £400 per adult and around £300 for the kids. We had to book through Virgin Atlantic also so this meant paying the full bill up front.
We at least the flights are paid for.

In March just before easter I paid just under £300 return with US Airways via Philedelphia. When looking around at other fights at this time I was quoted anywhere between £300 rightup to £1000 ouch :(

[beer]

domster
17-04-2005, 19:00
My main concern is that it if they keep putting prices up it will have an affect on people who can afford to go in peak season.

I have never had a problem getting flights for under £300, but as soon as you go anywhere near peak season the price hike is stagering.

DOM

Curly Wurly
18-04-2005, 18:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett
We bit the bullet for 20 years while the children got through school (but it was still worth it) The last peak flight we had cost us £550 each for 5 of us.

Now we can go off peak and we usually pay less than £200 in Jan and up to £300 other times.We would go wit anyone but the aforementioned tcd

However,there seems to have been a change in the last couple of years and you can get your fingers burned leaving it to the last minute.
[/quote]

Heather - have you had a really bad experience with TCD? Have heard good & bad reports, I only booked with them through a recommendation and not sure what getting myself into now!! We fly August this year.

Katys Grandad
18-04-2005, 19:12
If you do a search you will find a number of threads with discussions about TCD. I won't repeat my views on this one because I am in danger of sounding like a stuck record. Only my opinion obviously.

fraser
09-06-2005, 21:48
If i go with the kids, it will be the cheeper option, if i go by myself it will be Upper Class.

09-06-2005, 21:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fraser
If i go with the kids, it will be the cheeper option, if i go by myself it will be Upper Class.
[/quote]

So mean[msnoo][msnoo][msnoo]

domster
10-06-2005, 01:13
yeah, that is not fair. But they do say think of yourself once in a while.:D

domster
16-06-2005, 21:35
Have just seen a flight with Mytravel for July out of gatwick for £399. That is not bad as is first week of school hols. I did not check to see if this flight was if you book their car hire or not.