PDA

View Full Version : One persons luck is anothers bad luck

ORLANDO_MAGIC
19-02-2005, 17:40
SHELBYVILLE, Ind. -- It's a case of finders-keepers.

Karrie Jeremiah fished an Indiana lottery ticket out of the trash at a restaurant. It was a winner, worth $100,000.

Two people had bought the $5 scratch-off ticket at the restaurant. A clerk at the cafe told them it wasn't a $40 winner and they tossed the ticket in the trash. But Jeremiah said she wondered if the ticket had been checked for all the winning combinations.

It turns out that it hadn't been.

Lottery officials said the clerk should have been better trained, but Jeremiah is the rightful winner. She got a check for nearly $72,000, after taxes.

Mark McNeely, an attorney for cafe owner Shirley Bailey, said lottery officials had been negligent by not providing adequate training.

'Let's focus on the real issues and not try to cast all of our blame on this little merchant here in Shelbyville when the lack of training may have been the issue that caused the problem to begin with,' he said

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 17:47
Lucky Jeremiah! But I wonder if there is more to this story than meets the eye? People do not usually throw out their scratch cards without checking them thoroughly.

LiesaAnna
19-02-2005, 17:57
i have done!!!! then months or years later (in the lottery) when you hear there is some money waiting to be claimed have often wished i had checked them better!!!
my friends daughter was always winning anything up to £50 on many tickets !! i of course only ever win £1 if am lucky!!

Ray&Sarah
19-02-2005, 18:59
She's one lucky lady then, never win anything on the lottery and have been playing it since it started.[msnsad]

benfilo
20-02-2005, 00:11
Isn't Shelbyville close to Springfield