PDA

View Full Version : Off the beaten track

Fairground
19-02-2005, 02:09
Hi all
I know that this is not a Florida question as such, so I hope that you will bear with me.
This September we are planning to Fly into San Francisco ( for 6 days) drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas[msneek] (7 day stay)then fly back.
Has anyone done this? what is the dive like? Streets and trips says it is about 570 miles. Has anyone got any good tips on companys that do two center flights.

lots of questions - sorry, hope someone out there can give advice or help

Thanks in advance

Chris

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 02:43
We have done part of a route that is very close years ago. From Martinez near San Francisco, we drove along US99 past Modesto & Fresno as far as Bakersfeld. But we stopped at several places on the way and I cannot recall the driving time accurately - except to say that it was straightforward and could not have been over 6 hours excluding the stops.

From Bakersfeld the route to Las Vegas looks fairly straightforward over Route 58 and I-15. We have not driven this, but I should imagine that you can do this in just over 5 hours driving time.

Ray&Sarah
19-02-2005, 03:59
Why not plan it yourselr on-line, you will probably find you get a better deal. Alterntaively companies like Virgin will do a two centre holiday like this too, if its not in the brochure they say you can make up your own two centre holidays.[msnsmile2]

Fairground
19-02-2005, 15:39
Thanks ray&Sarah
I am in the process of doing exactly that. I have already sorted the car hire out with Roger, he was very helpfull. We used uscarhire for our stay in Florida last yeargraet service. Iv'e also reserverd a hotel in San Francisco for 6 Nights. Now i am looking for flights[msnsmile][msnsmile]

Thanks Chris

steph_goodrum
19-02-2005, 17:04
We broke the drive from San Fran to Las Vegas with an overnight and day stop at Yosemite about 18 months ago. It's a long way to go in one hit and especially if you only have one driver (we had 2).

It was end of August and was extremely hot still, so on the long stretches make sure you are prepared with plenty of extra water (we took a folding camping water bottle with about 5 litres in case we ran out of bottled or the car overheated.

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 17:08
FRESNO is an ideal place for a few days break while driving between San Francisco and Las Vegas. It is ideally located as a jump off point for Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.