PDA

View Full Version : Our feb trip report part 2.

cjboatman
19-02-2005, 00:47
Saturday was shopping day, we did all the usual Malls, LBV, Belz, the Florida Mall and Festival Bay.

I love Festival Bay, still cant get over the skate park, and Outdoor World is unbelievable. But there are still no new shops, a lot of empty units. We were first there in 2003 and it hasn't changed much.

We spent yet more hours looking at craft stuff.

Sunday was MGM. Karen had never been to the Magic of Disney Animation. I have not been since the refurbishment. I have to say i was slightly disapointed. Since the animation has been closed down in Florida, you miss seeing the real thing. Its still very well done, but as a Disney fan, i miss the real animation. Now its my turn to spend, with the art shop, i love collecting special pieces.

Monday, we took a tour around some of the resort hotels. We had to stop at the Wilderness Lodge villas. There is a display in the villas of one of Walts original trains which he had in his back garden in Beverly Hills. Very nice to see.

Then, we went to look at some properties. We will buy some day.

Then back to Magic Kingdom for Spectromagic and Wishes. I think a very nice way to spend Valentines night.

Tuesday. Last day. A quick run around the parks to say goodbye and off to the airport.

All in all a great week. Great weather. Oh and the National Cheerleaders Competition. Lots of Cheerleaders running around. Not that i was interested.

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 01:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cjboatman
I love Festival Bay, still cant get over the skate park, and Outdoor World is unbelievable. But there are still no new shops, a lot of empty units. We were first there in 2003 and it hasn't changed much.

Sunday was MGM. Karen had never been to the Magic of Disney Animation. I have not been since the refurbishment. I have to say i was slightly disapointed. Since the animation has been closed down in Florida, you miss seeing the real thing.

All in all a great week. Great weather. Oh and the National Cheerleaders Competition. Lots of Cheerleaders running around. Not that i was interested.[/quote]

I agree that Outdoor World is a great place to go. USA in general is a far, far better place to buy outdoor gear of any sort compared with the UK. In fact, going to most outdoor shops in the UK is annoying, not only because of the outrageous prices. You usually get those pseudo-knowledgeable youngsters spouting out utter bullenscheitze about their wares that would only fool the thickest of morons. I make it a point to but all my outdoor stuff in the US.

I know that there are a lot of empty shops in the Festival Bay / Belz area of I-drive at present, but hopefully there is going to be some local refurbishment there in the next few years. About time too.

So you were disappointed with MGM's 'Magic of Disney Animation'? No wonder. The show is less than a shadow of what it was in the past. I think it is because most animation these days is CGI based and true artists have lost their place. I remember that we took a backstage tour in 1995 that lasted over an hour and was unforgettable - seeing all those artists working by hand at their desks.

Who're you kidding that you were not interested in the cheerleaders? C'mon, I bet you had bit of a drool [msnwink].

cjboatman
19-02-2005, 01:28
No drooling at all. (The wife is sitting beside me, ask again later)

The animation tour is not the same at all. I do like the CGI stuff as well, but for me the real magic was the hand drawn animation. The only thing that makes up for this is One Mans Dream. A long overdue tribute to the man who created the magic. I just love this display.

I do think the whole area is going through a period of improvement. This is why we are still thinking about buying. Although the prices are high, i think the whole area has some growth left. Either way we will continue to visit time and time again.

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 02:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cjboatman
The animation tour is not the same at all. I do like the CGI stuff as well, but for me the real magic was the hand drawn animation. The only thing that makes up for this is One Mans Dream. A long overdue tribute to the man who created the magic. I just love this display.
[/quote]

I agree. MGM's "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" is often overlooked by visitors, but we make a point of going there every time. I think the place is very educational about how WD's mind was working when he dreamed the place. Look at the bit about Epcot; WD thought of that in the 1950s & 60s as a sort of "World of Tomorrow", a place where today's people could live & work in a 'future' world. Another typical example is "Tomorrowland Transit Authority" at MK; notice how the cars resemble 1950s idea of futuristic transport. Very Nostalgic overall.

Ray&Sarah
19-02-2005, 04:06
Great to see you allowed so much time for shopping![msnwink]:D

LiesaAnna
19-02-2005, 12:48
nice one !! thanks craig and karen........[msnwink]

Magical Dreams
19-02-2005, 15:44
did you end up buying some Disney art??

Would love to know what you bought if anything?

We bought a limited edition Jiminy Cricket Cell last time on the first day of release!
All the artists were there too and we ended up with 2 signed postcards.
These can only be obtained if you buy the piece on that specific day!!

We were really chuffed, this now hangs in our bedroom, but I can see it takig pride of place in our villa very soon!!
[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

Fletch
22-02-2005, 02:38
We enjoyed One Man's Dream too - I get the feeling this is often overlooked by thrillseekers, but I found it fascinating seeing "how it all began".

cjboatman
22-02-2005, 18:10
Magical Dreams,

We got the same Jominy Cricket sericel, and also got the signed postcard, great to have with it.

This time i bought the new Mickey Mouse sericel "Checking In" and also the Tinkerbell sericel "Paint and Ink"

I think i have about seven of these now. I just love them, especially since you knoe each one has been had painted and drawn. Would you believe i dont even have them hung yet, trying to decide on the perfect location.

I also collect the limited edition lithographs and have far too many to name, but these arn't for hanging on the wall, again too many, instead i have them all in large portfolios to protect them.

Do you collect mucg Disney Art, what sort of peices do you have.