PDA

View Full Version : Our Feb trip report part 1.

cjboatman
19-02-2005, 00:37
Only home a couple of days, and just getting over the jetlag.

We flew from Dublin on the 8th with Aer Lingus. Its great clearing immigration at this end, makes things so much easier. The plane was a little older, no individual TV's, and only one free meal, but it was cheap and most importantly, comfortable, good leg room.

Arrived on time, security checks take a little longer, as well as passport control, but not a problem, collect car and head off to Disney. We were staying in a Disney resort this time, as we were only there for a week.

First thing Wednesday morning we were at Epcot at 8:00 for our Segway tour. (I will post photos in the photo section if anyone wants to see). There are only ten people on the tour. It starts with a forty minute classroom introduction, safety, and practice, which is essential. Then out into the world showcase, before its open, to drive around like a line of ducks. Really great fun and we would highly recommend. Two hours in total, and we didn't want to give the Segways back. By the way, the weather was great, warm and sunny.

We spent the rest of the day in Epcot staying until 9:00pm for Illuminations, which was as always fantastic. Then back to the hotel for a quick dip in the hot-tub before bed.

Thursday morning, up bright and early for a trip to Animal Kingdom. Great to see the new Expedition Everest attraction being built (I have posted some photos).

After the park it was off to Stamp you Art out (Karen is a big craft fan) and then Michaels. I lost count of the number of hours we were here for.

Friday morning, up at 6:00 to be the first in line for the Magic Kingdom. We made it there, and to the front of the line. We are big Disney fans, and i have always wanted to be among the first into the park. I did it this time. It only lasts for a few minutes as you are followed quickly by a huge crowd.

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 00:50
Thanks for the report Craig, but could you tell us a bit more about the Segway Tour? This is something I am planning to include in my next itinerary and would like some views from a fellow tourist rather than the commercial ones.

cjboatman
19-02-2005, 01:13
Thanks Nostromo.

There are two tours available. The first at 8:30 and the second at 10:30 in the morning. We already knew that the tour consisted of one part classroom and then out to the World Showcase. So we choose the early tour which meant that you would be in the World Showcase before the 11:00 opening time.

You have to arrive about fifteen minutes early to register, but there are only ten people in each tour.

You are taken to a small classroom to the rear of the innovations building, this is now called Segway central. As you go in all the segways are lined up against the wall. There is a short safety presentation and details about the actual machine, how it works etc. Then the Disney legal stuff to make sure you dont sue if you fall off.

Then its to your machine. There is about a thirty minute practical lesson, starting with how to get on the machine, which, the first time you do it is not as easy as you would imagine. Plenty of laughs here. Then a series of practical tests, going forwards and backwards, turns, turning on the spot. Travelling at speed, emergancy stops. Its all very light hearted and good fun. Then a couple of weaving circuits around cones. And finally a couple of ramps. It is explained to you the reason for all these tests is that you will be taking part in small obstacle courses in the World Showcase.

After a short break, about five minutes, you are out of the classroom and you get a brand new, fully charged Segway waiting for you. And its off you go. To start with you have to stay in single file, as there are people about Future World. Once you get into the World showcase, as there is nobody about, except a few maintainance people and cleaners, you are given a bit more freedom. The Segways will only go about five miles per hour. But this feels faster, and is fast enough for most people. There are a few obstacles to overcome, like up through the gardens in Japan, which i have never even seen before. Around the columns in Italy, through the maze in the UK. There is one photostop in Italy. But plenty of opportunities for photos, as long as you get off your Segway to take them. There are also two guides with you. They point out things for you to see, and some lesser known pieces of information about the worlds. They will also take photos for you.

It is a very good tour. A great experience. Well worth the eighty dollars. We smilled and laughed the whole way round. The only problem is, now i want a Segway, but they run about $3500. I would recommend it to anyone. You must be over 16 and under 250lb.

Nostromo
19-02-2005, 02:52
Thanks CJ. I am glad to hear that there is a proper training session. Sounds like good fun to ride them.

E. Cosgrove
19-02-2005, 03:02
Sounds great fun:D

Ray&Sarah
19-02-2005, 04:01
Great report, the tour sounds really good.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
19-02-2005, 12:45
sounds very interesting!!!:D

Magical Dreams
19-02-2005, 15:41
Glad you had a great time!

most of us are Disney Fans too!

Well we are!!

[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

chunkichik
14-03-2005, 21:14
Thanks Karen and Craig!! sounds like fun, especially Stamp your Art out and Michaels, I have spent many hours in Michaels too, i think the last trip was only 4 hours[msnwink]