PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my computer!!

luckylady
16-02-2005, 12:49
Hi help needed once again
My son told me tnat my computer was past its best and too upgrade which I have BIG MISTAKE!!
My old computer was like an old friend we never fell out
The new computer is like something from outer space and will not do anything without sending me error messages or just shutting down
I have telephone support but I wonder if some of them know less than me so I thought some one on the forum would be able to help
when I an senting emails instead of stating at the top
To---
Sender----
it says
To-----
C.C---
I know C.C means carbon copy
does this also mean sender is that where I put my name?
if I do will I receive a copy of the email which I dont want I would already have a copy in the send folder
how to I change this
I have tried to change this but I end up makng more problem
I am just useless with computers well I am with this one
I want my old one back!!!!!
Barbara

brizzle
16-02-2005, 13:17
Just put the person you want to send it to in the 'To' box.
The sender should be automatically picked up as you.

Are we talking about Outlook here btw?

Sometimes it's not worth upgrading, if all you tend to do is browse the Intermaweb then a PC several years old will normally suffice.

Brizzle.

Nostromo
16-02-2005, 13:39
CC (Carbon Copy) is an another address where you want the same mail to go. For example, if you put your dad's e-mail address in 'to' and your brother's in 'cc', then your brother will get the same message also, but will know that it was primarily sent to dad. You can put more than one address for CC by pressing the 'enter' key, whereupon the space available increases.

BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) is a facilty where the copy recipient(s) will not know about the principal one.

I am talking about the layout in Outlook Express.

SunLover
16-02-2005, 14:14
It sounds to me as though you may have upgraded to Windows XP, in which case, you may well be using Windows Outlook and not Outlook Express as your default email programme.

When we got a new PC about 18 months ago, we didn't realise that these were two completely different programmes, although they both do basically the same thing.

Check to see what you are using ... it may stop you bouncing off the walls if you realise you are trying, mistakenly, to do familiar things on the new unfamiliar programme.

Just a thought [msneek]

caroline
16-02-2005, 15:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) is a facilty where the copy recipient(s) will not know about the principal one.

[/quote]

I thought BCC meant that the principal recipient did not know that a copy had been sent to somebody else.

E. Cosgrove
16-02-2005, 18:10
I thought CC meant copies circulated, like in a memo, shows how much I know about computers!![msneek]

steph_goodrum
16-02-2005, 18:31
"I thought BCC meant that the principal recipient did not know that a copy had been sent to somebody else."

It means blind carbon copy as Nostromo says and means none of the other recipients will see who else was sent the document.
This is useful for example, if you have a mailing list of, for instance your previous guests, if you wanted to tell them all of a special offer, you wouldn't want to circulate their e-mail addresses to anybody else (and in fact under data protection could be in trouble if you did), so rather than send an individual e-mail you can list them all this way and they wouldnt have access to the other recipients.

Nostromo
16-02-2005, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

[/quote]

I thought BCC meant that the principal recipient did not know that a copy had been sent to somebody else.
[/quote]

It really amounts to the same thing. With BCC, none of the recipients would know about the others.

caroline
16-02-2005, 20:10
I just tested this out using my various different villa email addresses and the person receiving the bcc can see who the principal recipient is - not that it makes much difference to most people. However the principal recipient cannot see that a bcc has been sent.

Nostromo
16-02-2005, 20:15
I just tested this out using my various different villa email addresses and the person receiving the bcc can see who the principal recipient is - not that it makes much difference to most people. However the principal recipient cannot see that a bcc has been sent.
[/quote]

Are you sure? Since you were the sender as well as the recipient in this experiment of yours, could you be just looking at your sender self? I would have thought a proper BCC would mean that no recipient would know about the other. After all, you can send a BCC to just one other recipient - it would then defeat the purpose if the principal recipient knew about it.

rosie
16-02-2005, 20:28
Caroline is right, anyone you send a BCC to can see the original recipient in the TO field, so if you want to hide that also, just make the TO field to yourself [msnsmile]

luckylady
16-02-2005, 20:29
Thanks everyone I am quite happy with that I understood what you were saying
At least I know my emails are going where they need to go
no doubt there will be more questions in the near future
yes sunlover you are correct

I have upgraded to Windows XP,I am using Windows Outlook and not Outlook Express as my default email programme.I Checked it out after reading your posting

I didn't realise that these were two completely different programmes,so thats helped a great deal

Babara

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-02-2005, 20:46
Correct - that's how it's supposed to work.

The idea is you can copy someone (e.g. a colleague) in on an email without the recipient seeing the colleagues email address e.g. in a company that does not disclose internal email addresses for spam reasons and just uses a public facing info@company.com email address.

[/quote]