PDA

View Full Version : Do you know someone that has been refused entry?

JamesG
13-02-2005, 07:56
After all the debate here,

Do any of you actually know anyone that has been refused entry to the U.S since the new rules?

James

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-02-2005, 08:24
No.

Carla
13-02-2005, 09:55
No one at all. Not even a rumour of anyone being turned down for a visa or turned back at an entry port.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Remember, if it isn't sensational and/or controversial then it isn't newsworthy.[msnwink][msnwink]

rosie
13-02-2005, 11:32
Nor me [msnsmile] and well said Carla [clap]

E. Cosgrove
13-02-2005, 13:04
only heresay from the forums!![:O]
Lets hope I never get to hear of anyone either!![msnwink]

marv
13-02-2005, 13:38
I dont know any body in person but the travel agent who booked our holiday had friends go over last year and the husband was deported leaving the wife and kids to go on their holiday by theirselfs. How awfull that must have been for them. I know i wont be taking any chances its a catch 22 situation everybody will do different things. I personaly want to enjoy the run up of this holiday, plan all the things we want to do and know i will be able to get into america to do them.

andrewmckay5
13-02-2005, 13:53
No. It would be interesting to know if there are any official figures considering the several million who actually fly into the US( not just Florida) I would guess it would be a very very very small blip.
andrew

steph_goodrum
13-02-2005, 14:25
I saw something the other day which said that 437 people (that's all over the country not just Florida) had been stopped from entering since the new regs. When you compare that to the figure they gave of 55,000 flights taking off and landing every day in the country the numbers are miniscule.

JamesG
13-02-2005, 17:47
I have a small conviction going back 8 years,

but with me getting married in sep then i am deffo going over for a visa.....just worried i dont get it.

I had a mate who went over to states last month, he has a good few recent convictions and had no problems, he didnt apply for a visa.

Catch 22 again

chrizzy100
13-02-2005, 21:10
My friend was stopped and held in an office for a few hours on her last trip before marrying her boyfriend who lived here on an H1B....she had been over 2 times already that year...the lawyer had told her to always bring proof of job etc in England.....they let her in telling her not to re-entre...until she was married and on her new visa......

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-02-2005, 21:17
I think that's a bit of a gerealisation - we come over 4-5 times a year on the VISA Waiver and do get asked about our jobs but never have to prove anything. Why would they not just take your word for it, unless there was something else that made them suspicious?

I think the fact that her boyfriend had a H1B visa, which allows himn to stay in the US has a lot more to do with why she was questioned - they would naturally have been suspicious that she wanted to come over to live with her boyfriend in the US. This will not apply to many (if any) people coming over to the US on vacation so is a red herring.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
My friend was stopped and held in an office for a few hours on her last trip before marrying her boyfriend who lived here on an H1B....she had been over 2 times already that year...the lawyer had told her to always bring proof of job etc in England.....they let her in telling her not to re-entre...until she was married and on her new visa......
[/quote]

chrizzy100
13-02-2005, 21:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I think that's a bit of a gerealisation - we come over 4-5 times a year on the VISA Waiver and do get asked about our jobs but never have to prove anything. Why would they not just take your word for it, unless there was something else that made them suspicious?

I think the fact that her boyfriend had a H1B visa, which allows himn to stay in the US has a lot more to do with why she was questioned - they would naturally have been suspicious that she wanted to come over to live with her boyfriend in the US. This will not apply to many (if any) people coming over to the US on vacation so is a red herring.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think it proves a point that you need to know how everyone in your party stands with what visa they need when coming to the USA....her friends had a very nasty few hours in other offices.....something that could happend to you if someone in your party does not have the right visa etc.....so I would say that it could apply to some people on vacation......everyone she was traveling with was pulled out of line..which could happen if you were traveling with someone needing a visa because of a court case...I'd hate to see that happen to anyone on a FL holiday.....even more so with kids.....when that happens all of the fellow travelers can travel on....but the wait at the airport can't be a nice way to start your holiday.....

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-02-2005, 22:04
Of course you do - it makes a LOT of sense to make sure you have the correct VISA (if required) before you travel. This not only applies to the USA, but any country you travel to. It's common sense [msnsmile]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think it proves a point that you need to know how everyone in your party stands with what visa they need when coming to the USA....her friends had a very nasty few hours in other offices.....something that could happend to you if someone in your party does not have the right visa etc.....so I would say that it could apply to some people on vacation......everyone she was traveling with was pulled out of line..which could happen if you were traveling with someone needing a visa because of a court case...I'd hate to see that happen to anyone on a FL holiday.....even more so with kids.....when that happens all of the fellow travelers can travel on....but the wait at the airport can't be a nice way to start your holiday.....
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
14-02-2005, 00:21
We haven't heard of anyone who has been refused entry either. Ray travels to the US several times a year for work and we usually travel there for our holidays twice a year. He has always found the immigration people to be thorough but fair.[msnsmile]

E. Cosgrove
14-02-2005, 00:30
Whenever David is asked his job he has stopped saying he works for Total as they always associate it with oils and he then gets asked if he travels to the middle east, he now say he works for Total petrochemicals, that way we seem to get less questions.

caroline
14-02-2005, 00:47
No, we've never heard of anybody being refused entry or refused a visa.
My sister-in-law and her partner go to the US around 6 or 8 times a year, and have been doing this for the last 17+ years and neither of them have ever even been questioned.

Robert5988
14-02-2005, 00:57
Cat Stevens was recently refused entry and a BA plane returned to London as it had a 'suspect' passenger on board that the US authorities refused to allow entry.

Unless you are 'known' to the US immigration authorities or they have suspicions you are going to break the rules of entry(seek work etc) I suspect you are unlikely to have problems.

I go 6/7 times a year on a Visa waiver and never have had a problem.

Cruella DeVilla
21-02-2005, 14:39
Have not heard or come across anyone that has been turned away.

Nostromo
21-02-2005, 16:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Cat Stevens was recently refused entry and a BA plane returned to London as it had a 'suspect' passenger on board that the US authorities refused to allow entry.
[/quote]

That's not surprising. Yusuf Islam (or whatever he calls himself these days) has made statemets that have teetered on the edge of supporting fundamentalism in the past and that is only a step away from supporting terrorism.

Ray9
02-03-2005, 17:35
The facts relating to removal are not too difficult to pin down but there are variation..
There are Removal, Voluntary Departures. and more likely to interest this group would be the number of applications to enter which are withdrawn at the Port of Entry..
For the Removal.. these are all fully recorded so for the latest figures of DecO4
"Total removals for December decreased 19 percent compared to the same month a year before. In December 2004, DHS removed 12,547 aliens from the United States, 6,213 of these aliens were criminals"
http://uscis.gov/graphics/shared/aboutus/statistics/msrdec04/REMOVAL.HTM

Voluntary departures seem to be used more for people using a current visa .. where there may be a problem with that visa or similar...

The Withdrawal of Application seem to be used for people on the VW
more..i.e. "you don't enter, we won't put a ban on you"
From my experience this whats happens to those deemed to have abused the Visa Waiver... I personally know about half a dozen people this has affected.. but hear of many more thru immigration sources..

But the average tourist has nothing really to fear at all..

ujpest doza
14-03-2005, 16:27
I've just returned from Florida and was reported for a breach of the peace in 1989 (wasn't taken into custody, just had my name taken and was told i may or may not hear any more about it and then a few weeks later paid a very small fine.)

I have been a few time on the vws without any problems, having been told that it is major crimes (the old Moral Turpitude thingy) that they refer to on the form. I never really worried about it until i read all of the stuff on this forum, never crossed my mind before.
This time i again used the vws, but was a bit perturbed when the plane was delayed on take off so that according to the pilot "some passengers who will be refused entry into the USA on the vws can remove their luggage from the plane". Obviously the passenger list and passport details are faxed ahead and some people were refused boarding after they had checked in due to the authorities in the US vetting the passenger list in advance.

We were 2nd in the queue at immigration and the young officer was lovely and wished us a happy holiday.

cmale35
14-03-2005, 20:24
How many were refused from flying ujpest?

ujpest doza
14-03-2005, 20:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cmale35
How many were refused from flying ujpest?
[/quote]

The pilot didn't actually say how many, just that some people (presumably at least 1 family) had been refused boarding due to the fact that they would not be allowed entry into the US due to their visa ineligibility and their luggage was being offloaded.

cmale35
14-03-2005, 20:53
I think thats a shame really as they may not of known about the visas through 1 reason or another and have missed out on a holiday because of it

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-03-2005, 21:58
It's a lot better than travelling all the way to the USA only to have to come all the way back though. I know this does not help the family concerned but at the end of the day it's the traveller's responsibility to ensure they have the correct visa's etc etc to enter the country they are going to - this applies to anywhere in the world, not just the USA.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cmale35
I think thats a shame really as they may not of known about the visas through 1 reason or another and have missed out on a holiday because of it
[/quote]

JamesG
01-04-2005, 03:11
Got an appointment for April 20th....

Dreading it, getting married in Sept, everything is all booked..

My life depends on this Visa...

[msnsad]