PDA

View Full Version : "staying"

kinch
11-02-2005, 19:37
Hi,
I intend to bring my family to the states on a E-2 visa.
I dont belive there will be a problem getting the visa my
main concern is staying!!
I have 5 children that will be educated in America and hopefully we
will all integrate into American life.We have been told that if our
application to renew our visa is refused we will have to leave the
U.S.A.Is this correct? Will the American authorities deport us even
though the chidren will have an American education and have become "American" If this is true what's it like to live under this
cloud of uncertainty? [msnsad]

E. Cosgrove
11-02-2005, 20:26
Speak to Julie!!!!! ( Esprit)

chrizzy100
11-02-2005, 20:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kinch
Hi,
I intend to bring my family to the states on a E-2 visa.
I dont belive there will be a problem getting the visa my
main concern is staying!!
I have 5 children that will be educated in America and hopefully we
will all integrate into American life.We have been told that if our
application to renew our visa is refused we will have to leave the
U.S.A.Is this correct? Will the American authorities deport us even
though the chidren will have an American education and have become "American" If this is true what's it like to live under this
cloud of uncertainty? [msnsad]
[/quote]

Is this the only forum you read....there is a forum I go to that has more people on it making the move that you are....you can get a few points of view there too....I could sent you the link if you're not a member already......

kinch
11-02-2005, 20:46
Hi Chrizzy,
can you send me the link, the more info I can get
the better

thanks kinch

chrizzy100
11-02-2005, 20:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kinch
Hi Chrizzy,
can you send me the link, the more info I can get
the better

thanks kinch[msnsmile]
[/quote]

Its on its way.......there are some interesting topics there about taking your kids over.....I would read them all......[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
11-02-2005, 23:30
We have heard that the authorities will not take into account that your children have been educated in the US if they deceide not to renew your visa. Julie (esprit) is the best person to answer though.[msnsmile]

esprit
12-02-2005, 03:17
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!! They can and they do. If you dont get renewed you get sent home and your kids get sent home with you, doesnt matter how long they have been here. And they get sent home at 18 unless they continue in US education even if you have a valid visa, and at 21 otherwise, unless they can manage to get labor certification and change to H1b. Legislation to give green cards to children of visa holders who have been here 5 years before they turn 16 provided they then graduate college or do military service known as the Dream Act was imtroduced but has stalled under fierce opposition from some factions and no=one knows if it will be passed.

The big problem of taking kids back to the UK is the low standards of education im Florida could put them far behind their UK counterparts. Living under the cloud of uncertainty is awful with one child, never mind five.

kinch
14-02-2005, 00:43
Why does the American authorities make it so
hard for the Brits when they seem to bend over
backwards for other nationalities I thought we
had a special bond with America and it's people:(:(

kinch

Seminole
14-02-2005, 19:37
It's simple. The US has a chronic shortage of manual laborers. That's why Mexicans and central Americans are permitted to work in construction, fruit picking, border manufacturing plants etc even though many are "undocumented". Secondly, UK visa holders are generally coming over into businesses already saturated by Brits or are competing with existing US businesses - there are something like 700 property management companies and God knows how many pool cleaning businesses already. Thirdly, from immigration agents I've spoken to, Brits overstaying their visas in Florida is a problem and the authorities are tired of it. So rather than questioning the "special bond", blame your countrymen.

steph_goodrum
14-02-2005, 20:45
"The US has a chronic shortage of manual laborers. That's why Mexicans and central Americans are permitted to work in construction"

The annoying thing is Seminole, my husband is an apprentice served (3 years) carpenter/joiner with 30 years experience in construction since qualifying, but despite that he cannot come to work in his trade in the US from what we've seen but would only be allowed to work as a supervisor. I'm sure he'd be far more use to the US than an unskilled worker.

chrizzy100
14-02-2005, 21:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
"The US has a chronic shortage of manual laborers. That's why Mexicans and central Americans are permitted to work in construction"

The annoying thing is Seminole, my husband is an apprentice served (3 years) carpenter/joiner with 30 years experience in construction since qualifying, but despite that he cannot come to work in his trade in the US from what we've seen but would only be allowed to work as a supervisor. I'm sure he'd be far more use to the US than an unskilled worker.
[/quote]

The problem is the pay he is willing to work for....most manual laborers have bad wages....but so many of them live in one home to keep the costs down for each person or family.....my friend has 16 Mexicans living in a 2 bedroom home next to him....it can't be more than 1000 sq ft....a way most Europeans would never wish to live.....your husband is skilled in the UK....but in some cases the trades work different ways over here...so companies are adding the cost of bring him into the country..and paying for retraining....something they could do with an American for half the cost....if America has so much need for low wage works.....then why is there not a short term say 3 year visa that people from all over the world could use....maybe they don't have that because so many people would over stay....or marry just to get a greencard....some make it bad for all the rest.....

steph_goodrum
15-02-2005, 01:54
"....but in some cases the trades work different ways over here...so companies are adding the cost of bring him into the country..and paying for retraining.."

Chrizzy
It's not even necessarily a company bringing him over, even if he wanted to start his own business he wouldnt be allowed, but could supervise - so I'm not sure where the logic is that he cant do the work but he can oversee to make sure someone else does it properly.

You're telling me they work differently going by the standards of "craftmanship" we saw on many of the showhomes we looked at, and as for health and safety regulations, I'm not sure some of them know the meaning of the words.