PDA

View Full Version : IKEA opening

MaggieAllan
10-02-2005, 13:50
What sort of crazy world are we all living in...a man gets stabbed at the opening of a new store and others are taken ill with the crush.

They are planning to open one in Orlando, and Stockport UK...can see these plans being affected.

I try to avoid worrying about my kids futures and the depressing side of life on this earth, but the violence (wars and stories like this) freaks me out...get me and my family to a desert island please!!!

And I was all bright and breezy this morning...make the world stop I want to get off!!!!

Cruella DeVilla
10-02-2005, 14:12
I doubt it! Count me out though I don't like IKEA:D

LiesaAnna
10-02-2005, 17:03
yep me to not interested in IKEA what was the point .... oh i know sofas for less then £50.... not worth fighting and losing lives over....

chunkichik
11-02-2005, 07:03
I'm afraid i am an Ikea fan, don't own masses of their furniture but made a lot of money decorating their little drawer units, photo frames, etc. I used to have to go once a week!!!!! But having said that, I couldnt believe that a store opening could create that much hype, but at Brent park you have to queue at the weekend to get in!!!

wrpac00
11-02-2005, 22:08
I don't like IKEA either.

Ann-Marie
11-02-2005, 22:23
Been twice and never again! The one in Edinburgh is too busy and badly laid out and I always get lost - plus don't think much of their products anyway! Always looks pretty cheap to me (sorry Ikea lovers!)

Nostromo
11-02-2005, 22:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ann-Marie
Been twice and never again! The one in Edinburgh is too busy and badly laid out and I always get lost - plus don't think much of their products anyway! Always looks pretty cheap to me (sorry Ikea lovers!)
[/quote]

My wife hates IKEA furniture and I agree that it doesn't look much. Yet, it seems to have its devotees and I can only assume that they are well built to last. Is this true or are IKEA fans simply addicted to that "washed out" look?

chunkichik
12-02-2005, 19:08
I only have a couple of pieces of furniture, a huge coffee table and a dresser, I don't like the 'Ikea' look I prefer more traditional furniture.

I rarely go now, was more of a cheap crafting resource, i.e. they have square table lamps that are just a hollow piece of glass for £1.90 I would use glass paints on these and sell them for £35, couldn't argue with that[msnsmile2]

trevlad
14-02-2005, 05:20
on a pro for ikea. we use their funiture for rental properties.

because of the huge expansion of 'buy to letters', second hand auction furniture prices have gone thru the roof. it s often single items and can be of poor quality,with no comebacks.
ikea prices are very keen . we use alot of the malm range. its well built and solid and takes the wear well.
i often try to get things even cheaper by 'chatting up' the staff in the damaged stock area where they discount items with damaged packaging or a big gouge out. because of their pricing structure you can often get a good pecentage off, get them to put it together and get an undamaged item[msnwink][msnwink].and if owt goes wrong with it... new one please

every thing has its place![msncool]

steph_goodrum
14-02-2005, 13:13
"What sort of crazy world are we all living in...a man gets stabbed at the opening of a new store and others are taken ill with the crush."

Although the stabbing was reported as being at the opening, subsequent reports said that the stabbing was unrelated and happened nearby and the victim staggered to the shop for assistance.

What I couldn't understand though was in the papers there was a picture of a young baby being lifted out of the crowd and there were other children around - at midnight!!! Yes maybe when on holiday we've gone shopping at that time of the night but that is in a foreign country where there is no one we would know and trust to look after the children but you would have thought most sensible parents would have left them at home in bed with a babysitter?

trevlad
15-02-2005, 03:13
not when theres kids meals to be had for 50p:D:D

Lyn
18-02-2005, 03:35
I bought my son a bed from IKEA because all there beds are the same length which is 3" longer than a normal single bed and when you are well over 6ft an extra 3" makes a big difference. I also like there marketplace. We bought all our kitchen cupboards from there as well and have had lots of nice compliments on them.