PDA

View Full Version : Disabled transport advice please

nargent
25-01-2003, 02:03
Hi

My 'inlaws' are going to Orlando in June. They are staying on International Drive and are looking for the most cost effective(but flexible) transport option for getting to the parks and shops in Orlando. Here's the catch..... my mother inlaw is wheelchair bound and neither of them drive.

Any advice would be welcomed.

blott
25-01-2003, 03:21
Hi Nargent

If they're staying on International Drive, no problem! The trolley bus service which goes up and down and entire length of International Drive is wheelchair friendly with two wheelchair spaces and a hydraulic lift. Their website is http://www.iridetrolley.com

If they're staying in a hotel, most have courtesy transportation to the theme parks but you would need to contact the individual hotel to see if their transport is wheelchair friendly.

If not, there are wheelchair friendly taxis available from Yellow Cabs or buses - Transtar Transportation, Inc 7065 McCoy Road, Orlando, FL 32822 407-856-7777 7 days, 24 hours Three locations within Orlando International Airport providing airport shuttle. Vans, sedans, limousines, handicap van, minibus and motorcoach transportation.

I'm sure they'll have a great time!

steph_goodrum
25-01-2003, 03:29
Hi
The cheapest way is to get the I-ride trolley for those attractions, shops, restaurants on International drive, it goes as far as the Belz one end and onto the Premium Outlet malls, and one route goes to the Florida Mall, so covers the Belz, Universal Studios, Wet'n'Wild etc.
It is $2 for a one day hop on/off ticket with discounts for longer passes, I think it was $7 for 7 days (when we were there at New Year)
This link will take you to their website and will show you all the places it stops, there are 2 wheelchair positions on the bus so that shouldn't be a problem, takes a bit longer than taxis but certainly much cheaper. You may find the hotel you are stopping at will have a shuttle to some of the parks and I think under their discrimination laws there is supposed to be wheelchair access.
Hope this helps.
http://www.iridetrolley.com/facts.htm

steph_goodrum
25-01-2003, 03:30
Sorry Blott I think we must have been typing at the same time.

blott
25-01-2003, 04:15
That's OK Steph - at least we got the same story! ;)