PDA

View Full Version : This is a wierd one!

jeff66
08-02-2005, 15:57
I have just purchased an album cleaner.

This thing cost thousands! It will clean and restore albums to better than new! As used by the BBC.

Do you have a collection that needs to be cleaned? ready to be digitised and then stored.

Let me know

Nostromo
08-02-2005, 17:15
Do you mean Vinyl records? I have a big collection, but I use ordinary record cleaning fluid that seems to work well. Most people who have kept their record collections seem to like the old analog sounds they make - as I do - so why digitalise them at extra expense?

jeff66
08-02-2005, 17:22
While it is true that proprietary record care accessories such as a cloth wipe, or "Dust Bug" achieve some success in picking up stray dust and grit, many smaller particles get left behind and become embedded in the groove by the stylus, causing irreparable damage.

With most wet cleaners the problems do not end there:
Most liquids used in conjunction with a cloth, brush or spray can dislodge a large proportion of dust deposits, but the problem is removing the liquid again afterwards. Thus the brush or cloth cannot completely achieve this and so the remaining fluid evaporates, the dirt congeals together, and suddenly mini particles have become "mega boulders".

Consider the effects of a passing stylus forcing these into the groove of your most prized LP and it becomes clear that some cleaners can cause more damage than if you hadn't bothered to clean the record at all.

This record cleaner uses a process of either industrial alcohol (IMS) mixed with de ionised purified water for Vinyl records, and for Shellac records either a light solution of liquid soap mixed with the purified water or Photoflow 200 again with purified water. There are separate containers and brush assemblies for both liquids so both types of record can easily be cleaned. On no account should shellac records be cleaned with alcohol as it removes all material and leaves records ruined.
Each brush uses bristles made of nylon with pointed end bristles so cleaning can take place in the side and bottom of the groove. The process consists of cleaning the record with the various liquids and a light scrubbing action, and then a suction arm travels just above the record and sucks up liquid and dirt leaving the record completely clean, and more importantly completely dry, and free of static. To avoid any rub marks by the suction arm a very slow nylon thread goes through the suction arm into the dirty liquid container. This buffer action avoids any damage to the record surface.

jeff66
08-02-2005, 17:27
I am sure that "ordainary" people may not know or hear the difference. But the pro's and the real vinyl experts, are giving me their whole collections to clean and re-sleeve.

But they agree with you, no way are they interested in archiving onto CD, apart from the real rare albums, that they want to save as a backup. just in case of loss or damage.

blott
08-02-2005, 18:11
Is this a paid service? We just send our albums to you and you clean them up and send them back?

poohbear
08-02-2005, 19:21
i have records that need cleaning... i actually threw some away the other week..(original beatles ones too)

Nostromo
08-02-2005, 20:22
I have several Cliff Richard mono LPs from the early 60s, like "When in Spain", "Summer Holiday" and so on. I had the Elvis original 'Aloha from Hawaii' but someone nicked it[msncry].

Ray&Sarah
08-02-2005, 21:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by poohbear
i have records that need cleaning... i actually threw some away the other week..(original beatles ones too)
[/quote]

Oh dear they might have been worth something too.[msnscared][msnsmile]

Snapper
09-02-2005, 01:58
Is it a Keith Monks cleaner Jeff? I always used to hear whispers about a Keith Monks vinyl cleaner at hi-fi shows and I've always wondered what one looks like. If it is, do you have a picture you could post.

ctgirlscout
09-02-2005, 03:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by poohbear
[/quote]

[:O][:O][:O]

Those things are worth a fortune!

jeff66
11-02-2005, 00:01
Steve,
It is a kieth Monks machine.. I will get some photo's when I can. It is rather large!

jolliffee
12-02-2005, 15:52
We have a record shop in Portsmouth that has a big cleaner, he charges £1 per record. The thinking is unless they are cleaned properly the goves fill with dirt so only a proper cleaner can get rid of the dirt and the liquid. Then you can hear the sound..[msnsmile2]
I have a large collection of collectable vinyl. May be a good idea to get some of the older ones cleaned and then MP3 them ready for the iPod...[msncool]

Go on then frighten me with the damage?[msncry]

Ray&Sarah
12-02-2005, 21:04
At a £1 a record i'm not going to tell my hubby about this, it would cost us a fortune with the amount of LP's, 12" singles and 7" singles he has in his collection.[msnoo][msnsmile]