PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Begone?

Nostromo
07-02-2005, 19:22
My wife's PC got infected with some sort of 'Spyware' which even the latest (2005) Norton Shield was unable to detect, let alone eliminate. The problems were that she kept losing her Google homepage, annoying spyware warning messages kept appearing and the PC was unusually slow. Yesterday, I found some software called 'Spyware Begone!' and downloaded it for $39.99. This cleaned up everything and the PC is now working perfectly. But having never heard of this software before, I am a bit nervous. Anyone know about it?

Cruella DeVilla
07-02-2005, 19:24
We use McAfee, there are lots of products on the market so I am sure it is nothing to worry about............famous last words;);)

Nostromo
07-02-2005, 19:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
We use McAfee, there are lots of products on the market so I am sure it is nothing to worry about............famous last words;);)
[/quote]

I have the latest version of Norton's and it is generally very good. That's why I am worried. It failed to even pick-up this spyware!

Phil and Mel
07-02-2005, 20:06
Sorry Nostromo, I haven't heard of that one. I shouldn't think you would have any problems, and it already seems to have validated itself by restoring your computer to working order!!!

I have just downloaded a beta version of Microsofts new Anti SPyware program, so I am using that for the time being.

p.s. Thanks for the DM last week about Gator tours [beer]

chrizzy100
07-02-2005, 20:47
I had the same problem........but found my free anti spy program from yahoo stopped it.....

wrpac00
07-02-2005, 21:14
Unfortunately Norton and McAfee don't stop spyware although it can be very disruptive if not fatal.

There is a lot of software out there but if it's done the trick then it was money well spent. I use AdAware (which can be downloaded free) which cleans your PC and Adwatch (for which there is a fee) which prevents spyware getting on your PC in the first place.

search66
07-02-2005, 21:38
I use this free product from Microsoft. Very good stuff!

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Cruella DeVilla
07-02-2005, 22:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
Unfortunately Norton and McAfee don't stop spyware although it can be very disruptive if not fatal.

There is a lot of software out there but if it's done the trick then it was money well spent. I use AdAware (which can be downloaded free) which cleans your PC and Adwatch (for which there is a fee) which prevents spyware getting on your PC in the first place.
[/quote]

Lavasoft is another good one, we have that on our pc too.

KevinT
08-02-2005, 11:58
Hi Nostromo,
I have Spybot, Spyware Doctor and AdAware which are all free versions. The only one I purchased was Error Guard (which is mainly watching for - and correcting - Registry errors). So far (touch wood!!) have been problem free. [lucky]
What I could do with now is a spam filter which can detect villa enquiries from true spam!! [msnsmile2]

Nostromo
08-02-2005, 13:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KevinT
Hi Nostromo,
I have Spybot, Spyware Doctor and AdAware which are all free versions. The only one I purchased was Error Guard (which is mainly watching for - and correcting - Registry errors). So far (touch wood!!) have been problem free. [lucky]
What I could do with now is a spam filter which can detect villa enquiries from true spam!! [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

My wife receives many of those silly 'Round Robin' type mails which is probably why she (and not I) got the spyware. My own PC has some sort of SPAM filter (I don't even know where it is) which has made it practically SPAM free for the past year or so[clap][clap]. I have not had any major virus or spyware in my own PC for a very long time (touch wood too!) :).

harrinp1
08-02-2005, 14:25
For windows anti-spam then take a look at http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/.

I use Spybot/Adware for spyware detection as most anti-virus packages don't
detect this.

wrpac00
08-02-2005, 21:04
CDV,

Adaware is made by Lavasoft.