PDA

View Full Version : Any Apple Mac users out there?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-02-2005, 23:15
Just pondering about switching from a PC to a Mac and wanted to hear from anyone who has made the switch in the past.

Any suggestions as to what model you would go for to suit basic needs of web and email access, plus web design and coding. I don't really use a computer for much else.

daisy
07-02-2005, 00:33
hi i`m not much help but will ask other half for you see if he can help.

07-02-2005, 01:39
John, we have quite a few Apples, we have the 17' imac computer, 15 inch Powerbook, 12 inch Powerbook and 2 ibooks in addtion to our 2 PC's and 2 Toshiba laptops.

I would not hesitate to switch they are so reliable and not prone to viruses etc. Even the most basic mac woud suit your needs. If you want to know anything more specific let us know [msnsmile2]

Ruth
07-02-2005, 01:41
My brother is a graphic designer and loves his Apple laptop. He dabbles in websites too so let me know if you would like his contact details John.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-02-2005, 02:11
I was looking at the 20" iMac G3. How do they perform compared to the equivalent PC. I see the processors are a lot slower than PC processoers and they do not seem to have anywhere near the same amount of RAM. Is it just a case of Windows being very resource hungry compared to OS X?

Snapper
07-02-2005, 02:29
I can't find the original of this anywhere but it made me laugh at the time and I hope I can preserve the humor. I think it was written by a Mac fan ...

Linux: You don't expect it ever to work, but after a bit of fiddling it works forever
Mac: You don't expect it to work, but it does
Windows: You expect it to work forever, but it doesn't

Cruella DeVilla
07-02-2005, 12:49
I don't own one but have just written a thesis for my degree on Apple and all research is positive.:D

harrinp1
07-02-2005, 13:55
I think you are correct about the clock sepeed on Mac vs PC.
I think memory usage is also lighter.

I nearly made the switch from PC to Mac when I bought my last system
but in the end found that I really couldn't live with out a couple of
windows apps, and at the time the Virtual PC software didn't work on the
G5 processors - not sure if this is still the case.

There is some good info on the apple sight about migrating from Windows
to PC.

I might pick myself up a Mini Mac to have a play with.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-02-2005, 14:46
The only Windows specific software I use is MS Money and some SE checking software but could happily run them on my laptop I guess and access this from my main PC / Mac. I'll have to check if there is an easy way of remote controlling a PC over the network from a Mac.

Snapper
07-02-2005, 15:36
I run VNC for remote access John. I think it has both a client and a server component available for OS X, so you could access your laptop from the Mac and also vice versa.

harrinp1
07-02-2005, 15:50
Another vote here for VNC, but on a G3 mac you can probably run
some Virtual PC software and still run windows apps.

07-02-2005, 17:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
The only Windows specific software I use is MS Money and some SE checking software but could happily run them on my laptop I guess and access this from my main PC / Mac. I'll have to check if there is an easy way of remote controlling a PC over the network from a Mac.

[/quote]

We remotely control my dads PC from our Mac with no problems[msnwink]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-02-2005, 17:10
What software do you use Lucy - VNC?

I see Windows Terminal Services client is available for Mac PPC but cannot see a G3 version - I'm assuming PPC software will not run on a G3?

07-02-2005, 17:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I was looking at the 20" iMac G3. How do they perform compared to the equivalent PC. I see the processors are a lot slower than PC processoers and they do not seem to have anywhere near the same amount of RAM. Is it just a case of Windows being very resource hungry compared to OS X?
[/quote]

John,

Don't you mean this one the G5? They don't make a G3

20-inch widescreen LCD
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive
[msnwink]

07-02-2005, 17:14
What software do you use Lucy - VNC?

I see Windows Terminal Services client is available for Mac PPC but cannot see a G3 version - I'm assuming PPC software will not run on a G3?
[/quote]

When we use it we use GoToMyPC which is PC/Mac compatible[msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-02-2005, 17:16
That's the one - would probably upgrade to 1Gb RAM and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
[/quote]

John,

20-inch widescreen LCD
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
64MB DDR video memory
Slot-load SuperDrive
[msnwink]
[/quote]

07-02-2005, 17:26
That's the one - would probably upgrade to 1Gb RAM and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

[/quote]

John,

20-inch widescreen LCD
1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
64MB DDR video memory
Slot-load SuperDrive
[msnwink]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good move, however, the AppleMac mouse is still infuriatingly blessed with one "clicker". So I would get the wireless keyboard and a Logitech or similar wireless mouse - or even a Microsoft one like the one we have. It's white and designed to look "Apple-ish", and has two clickers (can't remember what you call them).

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-02-2005, 18:03
Good idea Lucy - had not thought of that [msnsmile]

07-02-2005, 18:13
This is a good place to find out about all things AppleMac.........

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-02-2005, 18:16
Thanks Lucy. I found that earlier today and have posted an initial question there.

This is a good place to find out about all things AppleMac.........

http://discussions.info.apple.com/
[/quote]

wilfy
08-02-2005, 00:19
John,
whats prompted your musing? i have an american friend who bends my ear each time we meet up about how wonderful mac's are for dtp.

(o blimey, i need to go wash my mouth out with soap, me a unix bod thru + thru saying nice things about THEM.[msnembarrased])

harrinp1
08-02-2005, 00:24
Well thats the reason a lot of people or moving to Mac - OS X is
unix underneath. If its not windows then its got to be a good
thing! (Fellow unix bod).

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-02-2005, 00:43
I was having a nosey round PC World the other day and had a good play with one. I've always fancied owning one as they look the business and I like the software. I need tgo replace an old PC here and thought it might be a perfect opportunity to go for a Mac instead [msnwink]

I'm from a Unix background too in my old day job - HPUX, then SCO and then Linux, so the fact OS X is Unix under the bonnet appeals to me too!
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wilfy
John,
whats prompted your musing? i have an american friend who bends my ear each time we meet up about how wonderful mac's are for dtp.

[/quote]

flyrr100
09-02-2005, 15:14
I've had macs since my 'MAC Classic' in 1991. Right now I have an iMac G5 and I love it!

kaysvacationvilla
10-11-2007, 16:27
I am now typing on my new MacBook!!! Actually using Internet Explorer right now as I installed Windows through Parrallels Desktop. Haven't had a chance to play with the new features with Leopard yet.[msnsad] I upgraded to 2gb of ram and this thing really out shines my poor PowerBook g4.

10-11-2007, 20:53
Well done Kay[clap][clap][clap] DH got a MacBookPro a few months ago and he also bought Leopard as soon as it came out - beware there are still a few teething probs with Leopard as there always is when they launch new stuff[msnwink]

I went into the Apple Store today and almost bought an iPhone but I am still thinking about it[msnwink] May go back tomorrow and get one[msnwink][msnwink]

All our PC's are now in the loft and have all been replaced by Mac's, we have no reason to use PC's or Windows for that matter anymore, you can do everything you need to do on a Mac and so much more and the equipment is so much easier and nicer than any PC on the market to date[msnsmile2]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-11-2007, 20:56
I got one as soon as they came out last night and am delighted with it. Absolutely streets ahead of any other mobile phone in terms of functionality. The Edge network seems pretty fast too - managed to go through my emails whilst sat in a lovely park in Bewdley this afternoon [msnsmile].
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

I went into the Apple Store today and almost bought an iPhone but I am still thinking about it[msnwink] May go back tomorrow and get one[msnwink][msnwink]

[/quote]

10-11-2007, 20:59
I got one as soon as they came out last night and am delighted with it. Absolutely streets ahead of any other mobile phone in terms of functionality. The Edge network seems pretty fast too - managed to go through my emails whilst sat in a lovely park in Bewdley this afternoon [msnsmile].

[/quote]
[/quote]

That's good to know John, DH said there and then to get it but for some reason I was more restrained than usual which is not like me when it comes to Mac products[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

They were all 'live' demo models instore and you could phone people on them which was going down well[msnsmile2]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-11-2007, 21:15
Go for it - you won't regret it.

We've had ours our all day listening to music as we walked through the Wyre Forest, making a few calls, checking emails and surfing the web and the battery has not even nudged off fully charged.

Just typing this message using it as well [msnsmile].

That's good to know John, DH said there and then to get it but for some reason I was more restrained than usual which is not like me when it comes to Mac products[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

[/quote]

kaysvacationvilla
10-11-2007, 21:46
I got a 4gig iPhone in September. Don't regret it for a second!!

flyrr100
10-11-2007, 22:06
I've almost lost count of how many Macs I've had. My first was an old Mac Classic. Had a IIsi, an old lap top, also bought one of the licensed clone Macs. I was a little disappointed with that one. My old blue iMac was wonderful, I gave my little 12" powerbook to my daughter and she loves it, and now my Dual Core Pentium iMac is the best. A Mac will give you everything you want in a computer. iTunes is an industry standard, as is Quicktime. The rest of the iLife package, mail, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, ha no faults, except the Safari browser. It's 100% stable, but wont let you see some professional intranet type sites.
If you are a gamer then Windows is your obvious choice. But if you want a 99.9% virus free home computer, then a Mac must be your choice.

11-11-2007, 00:49
Kay its an 8gb over here and an 18 month contract[msnsmile2]

John which tariff did you go for if you don't mind me asking[msnsmile2]

Jeff we are a Mac family too,we should have shares in our local Apple Store[msneek]

kaysvacationvilla
11-11-2007, 01:01
Julie, At the beginning there was a 4GB and an 8GB. When Apple lowered the price here, they discontinued the 4GB. That is when I grabbed one up at $299.00. I do have the 2 year contract with At & T, but the service coverage is much better than when I had T-Mobile. [msnsmile]

florida4sun
11-11-2007, 01:03
I was playing with one today and it has improved to the one I had a while back, the only downside is that they appear to be sticking with O2, we have a syunning deal with orange that o2 cannot match. Hopefully they will open it up to other networks or I suppose it will ot be ling before they are available unlocked.

Go for it - you won't regret it.

We've had ours our all day listening to music as we walked through the Wyre Forest, making a few calls, checking emails and surfing the web and the battery has not even nudged off fully charged.

Just typing this message using it as well [msnsmile].

[/quote]
[/quote]

kaysvacationvilla
11-11-2007, 01:07
I am having a hard time parting with my little 12 in PowerBook. I work independently for a company that I need to enter certain portals, which I can not do on Safari or on a Mac at all. So I had been using my PC for that. Mind you it is a very inexpensive one. My 10 year old was very pleased when I told her that basically that pc was hers now that I had windows on the mac. The company that I work for takes sales calls for "mapple" purposely misspelled If you get my drift. So I get to talk about them all day!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-11-2007, 12:05
I went for the £35 per month one as it was the totally unlimited data that was my main interest. The 200 minutes etc etc should be more than enough for me as I work from home so don't use a mobile phone as much as others.

John which tariff did you go for if you don't mind me asking[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

11-11-2007, 14:10
I went for the £35 per month one as it was the totally unlimited data that was my main interest. The 200 minutes etc etc should be more than enough for me as I work from home so don't use a mobile phone as much as others.

[/quote]

Yes same here, I already have a fab deal with O2 which is £10 per month with unlimited texts and I send over 600 texts a month mainly to my older children but I would run both phones along side each other so would only need the £35 a month too[msnsmile2]

We are thinking of getting our older boys (both in their early 20's) one each for Xmas but they would need the £45 but they already pay that a month on their old contracts its just when they can renew them[msnscared]

chris jones
13-11-2007, 21:47
I switched from a PC to a MAC Mini a couple of years ago and have never looked back the simplicity and the fact that "it just works" led me to buy a 12' iBook G4.

OSX is such a stable platform that when you go back to Windoze it really hurts!

Both are mainly used for email, web browsing and a lot of ebay listings (and of course forum posting).

Go for it!!