PDA

View Full Version : Stepfather and child?

Nostromo
06-02-2005, 20:11
What would happen if a stepfather wanted to take his minor stepkids with a surname different from his own to Orlando and the biological mother was unable to go with them? Will he need some sort of documentation?

blott
06-02-2005, 21:48
If they were legally adopted by the stepfather, whether they had the same surname or not, then there shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, he would be wise to get the mother's consent to both taking them and also for medical treatment and have this notarised. Try here Nostromo. http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_17678.asp

Nostromo
06-03-2005, 13:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
If they were legally adopted by the stepfather, whether they had the same surname or not, then there shouldn't be a problem. Other than that, he would be wise to get the mother's consent to both taking them and also for medical treatment and have this notarised. Try here Nostromo. http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_17678.asp
[/quote]

Thanks, Blott. Then am I right in thinking that exactly the same rules would apply for a situation in reverse of the one I mentioned, ie a stepmother taking the kids with her husband, the biological father, not being able to go?

blott
06-03-2005, 14:16
In these days of equality, I would think so. It's really to do with 'parental rights' in that whoever has legal guardianship of the kids (as long as this provides decision making powers) would be the one(s) to provide the consent.

If the step parent has legally adopted the kid(s) who have different surnames, then if it were me, I'd probably take a copy of the adoption papers with me I think, just to be on the safe side. The last thing anyone would want to do in an emergency is have some paperwork nightmare which may mean they cannot give their consent in a treatment situation.

heathercobbett
05-04-2005, 17:42
Why not take a letter of permission from the mother to cover yourself?