PDA

View Full Version : Be aware if bringing grandchild to Florida....

orlandobabe
06-02-2005, 04:55
without it's parents.

My husband just to say got our toddler grandson accepted into the country today because we share the same surname.

We had a letter written by our son giving us permission-but they weren't happy about accepting that on its own.

They mentioned getting a picture taken of my son and grandson together.

No-one told us about this. My friend just happened to mention that we might need a letter.

Obviously things have got tougher since then-so do make the appropriate phone calls.

The fact that I was already here=they checked on my details-seemed to help a little.

I suppose in these suspicious times-a man bringing a youing child on his own can set alarm bells ringing in all sorts of ways!

Yet he was allowed to leave the uk-no questions asked.

blott
06-02-2005, 05:15
OB, we've been saying on a couple of threads that you need a letter signed by both parents and notarised in case of medical treatment requirements so presumably that would have done for identification purposes, along with your grandson's passport?

As for saying they needed a photo of your son and grandson together, it could be anyone in the photo so I don't quite see what that would prove unless they had a photocopy of your son's passport too?

bellaepovera
06-02-2005, 13:28
I have a question as my son might be bringing my cousins daughter with him when flying..shes 13 hes 20..If the mother is there and gives her consent in person do you think the airlines will accept that? Does anyone have any info on this matter??

06-02-2005, 13:51
My older sons who will be 21 and 20 will be coming out by themselves to meet us with my 16 year daughter in August, I fear they will have problems as two will have one surname and my step son (20) will have our surname.

Any suggestions?

blott
06-02-2005, 14:44
Patti, it's not a problem with the airlines but a possible problem with Immigration (although OB seems to be the first one so far to have had this) and with medical treatment should that be necessary whilst kids are under someone else's care. The solution to that, I would think, is what I've said above.

Lal, they're over 18, not minors, so they could be two separate travellers arriving at Immigration if they're arriving by themselves.

steph_goodrum
06-02-2005, 14:52
Blott
The 16 year old may need some sort of parental permission, may she not? They may be a bit suspicious that she is genuinely allowed to go but as she will be with her brother , I would have thought it would be ok.

dbrook
06-02-2005, 15:32
We took our niece with us at Christmas and were never asked for anything (good job as her parents never gave us a letter or anything only her insurance details!!)

They did stop us going through immigration because we needed a separate white form completed for her. On the plane we were advised not to bother with a separate form as she had the same surname, but the reality was that as she was from a different household and therefore needed a separate form.

DaveL
07-02-2005, 03:46
I took a friend of my son out about 15 years ago and we were told even then that we should have a notarised letter giving us full parental authority for the duration of the holiday in case any medical problems occurred. If you don't have this many hospitals will not give any invasive procedure and would only try there best until the parents were contacted.

Dave

steph_goodrum
07-02-2005, 12:38
My friends daughter was refused a general anaesthaestic (with both her parents present) when she cut her lip badly at Wet'n'Wild and the paramedics told her parents to take her straight to a plastic surgeon rather than ER as they said otherwise it would be too late and she would be left with permanent scarring. She was mentally handicapped so you can imagine it was very traumatic for her, but because she had a slight heart murmur they wouldnt risk anaesthetising her without her full medical history so you can imagine they will be even more reulctant if they haven't even got parental consent in case of litigation afterwards.
The term generally accepted on the letters is that you are acting "in loco parentis" which basically means for the time they are with you then you have the same consent/responsiblity powers as a parent.
It is also vital as well whenever taking someone elses child to make sure you have details of medical history and of course any allergies they may have (esp penicillin).

bellaepovera
07-02-2005, 13:34
I thought the age for most airlines is 16 and over?? not sure..I think the best bet is too call them up and ask all the important questions as this is what I plan on doing..

caroline
08-02-2005, 13:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dbrook
We took our niece with us at Christmas and were never asked for anything (good job as her parents never gave us a letter or anything only her insurance details!!)

They did stop us going through immigration because we needed a separate white form completed for her. On the plane we were advised not to bother with a separate form as she had the same surname, but the reality was that as she was from a different household and therefore needed a separate form.

[/quote]

That's usefeul to know Diane, we taking one of Declan's friends with us and I guessed we'd need a separate white form for him, but wasn't 100% sure.

Carla
08-02-2005, 15:48
When I took my daughters friends last Summer, all 3 of them (16 years old) had to fill in their own white Customs Form. We all went through Immigration together and didn't have any problems. The guy did ask what they were going to do in America and they just said that they were on holiday and would be with us. He then asked us "what happens if they don't want to go home?" We pointed out that this was not an option - they came out with us and would be going back with us!!! I'm not sure exactly what he was thinking but he let us in. This was in Atlanta.

We also had the "in loco parentis" letters just in case we needed them. Fortunately we didn't.

Ray&Sarah
08-02-2005, 21:40
We took our sons 16 year old girl friend with us to Orlando in October, we took Carlas advice and got her mother to write a note giving us permission to take her with us and to authorise medical treatment if required. We weren't asked for it but it gave us a certain amount of peace of mind. Immigration was fine, she had her own white form filled in and they allowed us to go through together even though the surname was different.[msnsmile]

luckylady
25-02-2006, 15:09
Thank you for the info our grand daughter will be coming with us next Christmas
My son and wife will follow a week later
This info is very usefull[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]