PDA

View Full Version : Highlands Reserve GC

Biggus
23-01-2003, 17:21
Hello everyone,

Has anyone played Highlands Reserve Golf Club just off H27? We were thinking about getting a round in when we over in March/April, I have been to the official website which looks really good. Does anyone know if they advertise anywhere with a discount voucher off green fees or club rental like some other clubs? Would be interested in your opinions/thoughts of the course.
I know a few owners have properties in HR and was wondering whether their guests had given them any reviews of the course?
Thank you in advance for any replies:D
Biggus

fiona
23-01-2003, 18:26
I enjoyed playing at HR but my husband (who plays as often as possible) feels it does not stretch a better player.

He particularly enjoyed Diamond Back which is past Southern Dunes and some and Keenes Point.

Time you are going is high season for golf and there won't be the discounts that there are at other times of the year. Having said that, it is worth looking in the freebie coupon packs as some of them are featured in there. There is also a site which you can do last minute / cancelled bookings for tee off times at discounted prices.

I shall have a look and post accordingly.

http://www.golfinflorida.com/golfcourses.asp?categoryid=7

http://www.teetime.com/

Biggus
23-01-2003, 19:47
Thanks for the info Fiona,

I had noticed that we were playing in 'prime time' but the green fee cost seems pretty reasonable for the course - it is also v convenient becaus we are staying in Esprit.
What are the golf proshops like over there as my dad wants to buy a new pair of spikes, are they reasonable or do you suggest going to a sports store - does the Nike outlet @ Belz have golf spikes? Or does anyone else have a suggestion as to where we can get a reasonable pair at a reasonable price?

I can't wait - only 8 weeks on Sat!! Not that I'm counting or anything.:D:D;);):D:D
Biggus

fiona
23-01-2003, 22:31
Best golf shops are Edwin Watts (Vineland opp Publix and I Drive) and Special Tee Golf - there is on 192, but others on I Drive.

Regarding shoes, if you want something like footjoys goes to one of the above. If you are happy with reebok/nike then Chris bough 3 prs of reeboks for $98. 2prs summer, 1pr winter - he bought them at the Premium Outlet Mall and you get an extra discount from the voucher you can collect at the information centre in the middle. Either produce a AAA card - get one from the AA if you are a member or look in one of the discount booklets for the coupon.

We don't go the Beltz any more because we just find it too big (and shopping is not Chris's favourite activity!) but I am sure they will have a good deal at one of the shops there.

If you are looking for golf clubs they are cheaper in the US - he always come back with something new!

Biggus
24-01-2003, 12:55
Fiona,
Blooming 'eck your other half certainly must play a fair bit of golf to justify 3xpairs of spikes!! I think my old man just has comfort in mind and doesn't mind paying for a reasonable pair - We already have our AAA card ready and waiting - so off to the Premium Mall it is then - if they work out cheap enough I might get myself a pair too!!;);)
Do you (or your other half) recommend anywhere else to play I have seen Kissimmee Oaks and Kissimmee Bay GC that are quite cheap (even in 'prime time') I could never justify $100+ to my wife for a round of golf - even if Falcons Fire looks stunning I couldn't afford it!
RSVP

Biggus

fiona
24-01-2003, 16:31
He's never played at Falcon's Fire for reasons of cost!

He has played at Kissimmee Bay and recommends it, however says it will be 1½ hrs drive for you!!!

He suggests Southern Dunes and HR. He played at Mystic Palms while we were out a couple of weeks ago (you can see it from our villa so not far for him to go) and it cost $55 for all day play including lunch (which was worth $10 with a drink). However it's $90 now.

Southern Dunes is very pretty course to play and has an excellent clubhouse where you can get very good food at a reasonable price. I sometimes go and hit Wal-mart with the gals and then we meet up for lunch there after he's played golf.

Biggus
25-01-2003, 01:46
Fiona,
Looks like we will be playing at HRGC. Their general manager has just emailed to offer me price on a round when we are over during 'prime time' of $75.00 for green fees, club hire, cart hire, lunch and tax.[8D]
This is against the normal $65.00 green fee (inc cart) and $25.00 for club hire. So this appears to be a very good offer - lunch included!!
Biggus

fiona
25-01-2003, 18:17
Don't get excited about the lunch. The big disappointment there is that they don't have a good clubhouse like Southern Dunes. Hot dog seems to be all that there is on offer!

Biggus
26-01-2003, 01:50
Fiona,
Thanks for that - their website makes more of it than there actually is by the sounds of it!! Mind you I think that a hot dog sounds mighty appealing - I am on a New Year detox diet until the end Jan - no meat/fish/alcohol/caffeine, wheat free, gluten free - taste free in most parts!!;) I have got to get into some shape before we go out to Florida --> all those big breakfasts and dinners that I intend to eat.
I think that we will still go for the offered price as we are only getting one round in (golf widow wife will complain if more!!)[:0]
Thanks for all your info - If your other half can think of anywhere else to play or has any other pearls of wisdom then please PM me or start a new topic as I am bound to read it and reply.
Biggus

honeybee
26-01-2003, 13:34
Hi

My husband played orange county national just of the 192 at christmas it is a PGA course, he actually told me as you drive up they open the door of the car and take your clubs for you!

They teed off about 9am and paid $57 with a $10 gift voucher for the pro shop and lunch thrown in. He played their twice with american friends over xmas and the second time cost them $50.

My husband plays of 8 so is quite a good player and says of all the courses this was probably one of the best he had played, it has a choice of two courses.

honeybee

Biggus
27-01-2003, 01:17
Honeybee,
Thanks for that info - I saw the OL club when we were over the last time (stayed in Lindfields) and it certainly looks fantastic - the only thing about playing there is cost :( - as Fiona pointed out earlier in this thread we will be playing at 'prime time' and I have a feeling that the OL is very expensive in March/April:(. Their website is great apart from one thing - cost of green fees etc. If anyone knows these costs or has a voucher valid for that time of year I would love to hear from you, or post a link to more info.
Or if you have an idea of anywhere else that might be a good spot to play, that is reasonable during 'prime time'
Thanks
Biggus

honeybee
28-01-2003, 02:39
Hi you might be suprised as my husband played christmas eve and it was only $50 each to play with the lunch and voucher thrown in was excellant. Also the food was very good, not just hot dogs, apparently the sandwiches etc were something else.

Don't forget you can play twilight which is cheaper, I think you will find they do raack rate, before 9am and after 3pm rates.
honeybee

Biggus
28-01-2003, 12:35
Honeybee,
Thanks for that - I thought about twilight but what time does it get dark in Florida in March/April? - like I said my dad tends to play Heineken golf - he reaches parts of the course that no one else does! so I wouldn't want to play the final few holes in the dark! I didn't realise however that a cheaper rate was available before 9am - does nobody like getting up early?
Do you have link to Orange County National website (I that OK moderators?)
Cheers,

Biggus

honeybee
28-01-2003, 12:42
Hi Biggus

I have just found the phone number in one of the edwin watts coupon books, with $10 off. 407 656 2626. My husband told me last night he thought it was better than Highland Reserve. There are two courses the Panther lakes and the Crooked cat.

regards
honeybee

Biggus
28-01-2003, 13:36
Honeybee,
I have just found the Orange National website - I would love to play there but cannot possibly justify $100+ for a round (even if that includes the cart and a 'proper' lunch menu) club hire would be on top of that.:(
I am trying very hard to curtail my wifes spending with the credit cards as it is without giving her all the justification she needs to go on a spending spree at the malls!! I can hear it now - "I would like to get this xyz (generally item of clothing or shoes), you spent $100+ just to hit a little white ball around a field so why can't I get this." ;);)
Thank you very much for the info - any suggestions/experiences on golf courses in and around Kissimmee are more than welcome!! :D:D
Did your husband play anywhere else HB?
RSVP
Biggus

honeybee
28-01-2003, 20:57
IHi Biggus

I think you will find that that is the standard rate but if you phone when you are there, there are deals to be had all year round, as friends of ours play weekly there and are not members and only pay around $50 a time.

He has played ridgewood lakes which was around the $40 and enjoyed that.

He has played diamond back etc as well.

honeybee

Biggus
29-01-2003, 14:32
HB,
I will indeed call a few places when we get there - but Highlands Reserve have been the only one - of about a dozen GC that I emailed that have even had the courtesy to reply - let alone let me know what vouchers/offers they had at present!!:(
Hopefully we (might!) get two rounds in - promised the wife a FULL days shopping, AND she is going to MK for one day - she wants to go back to meet Tigger again (although the CM in the suit that day got a little too touchy feely with her for her liking!!)[:0]
Will keep looking and make a decision nearer the time, so keep the suggestions coming!!

Thanks

Biggus:D

K4LGB
07-05-2003, 22:05
My experience form Highland Reserve GC (29/04/2003)

Woken by the alarm at 6AM and suddenly golf didn’t sound such a great idea as I was knackered. The weather didn’t provide any loophole as the storms had passed and it was a beautiful day for golf at Highland Reserve. Drove down the I4 and up the 27 and was at the course for just after 6:30AM.
The fees were $75 for cart, clubs, a sleeve of balls, green fees and a snack/drink at the turn.
The clubs weren’t Callaway as we had been told but they were a matched set of King Cobra cavity backed irons and metal woods. Played off the 6000yrd Gold Tees so there was basically NO water on the course apart from a tiny bit at the 10th tee. First on the tee (despite some Highland Reserve regulars trying to get off in front of us) and we blasted through the first few holes – I had a birdie putt on the first 3 holes but then started having sand problems as the scrub area started gobbling up my slightly wayward drives. Completed the first 9 holes in 90 minutes and grabbed a breakfast bun and soft drink at the turn.
Completed the round just before 10AM – well under 3hrs if you knock off the time we wasted getting the breakfast bun as the waitress couldn’t believe we had reached the turn that quickly (she thought we had given up and were just going home early!)
I trouced my brother-in-law 5 and 4 but then relaxed too much and ruined my under handicap card with nothing better than a double bogey on the last 4 holes – my putting was atrocious as the greens finally showed there true menace after the early morning dew had evapourated!
Bought a T-Shirt to commemorate the visit – $45 very good value for a patterned Callaway t-shirt with Highland Reserve embroidery.

Conclusion
Quite a small family type affair with only a small shop and cafe bar. The course is pretty wide open apart from the scrub land and playing off the Gold Tees we could easily clear most of the fairway bunkers that were strategically placed for the Black tees (and we ain't big hitters!). Very good course though if you want a British Parkland type course to break up the usual water lined course that Florida has an abundance of.
Had a really good morning at Highland Reserve and being out first was ideal for our itinerary but I don't think I would pay £50 to play this course again as my own course here in Scotland is a much better more challenging parkland course (just a pity it doesn't get the Florida weather!). [}:)]

Nigel W
27-08-2003, 22:51
I played Highlands Reserve at 7 o'clock also and to noticed the speeds of the greens increasing, but yes it was most enjoyable. The large bunkers dont often come into play The course isn't flat like most others in the Orlando area. We played Kissimmee Bay GC last year but wasn't as keen.

higginsa
03-04-2004, 04:29
;)Hi everyone, I am looking for discounted green fees. We are hopefully visiting Orlando in June and are looking for the best rates. I have looked at the various golf course websites. We are looking at Championsgate, Mystic Dunes, Southern Dunes, Highlands Reserve and Championsgate. Will not be playing on them all obviously but want to see what the various rates are.

Thanx

Annette

Biggus
03-04-2004, 13:14
Annette,
Please contact the guys at HRGC on the email link blow - we got a prompt response when we contacted them last year.......course was in good nick and good fun, hope that this helps!!

mailto:highlandsreserve@crown-golf.com

Nigel W
03-04-2004, 13:32
or visit their website

not sure if I can put that though??

Either pm me for it or just search google or something!