PDA

View Full Version : San Fransisco Where What to do?

CERICROWLEY
04-02-2005, 22:41
Need some assistance. We have just found a cheap flight to San Francisco as a couple of days away. Now we need to know what to do, see, all the tourist attraction don't miss anything out, only four days to pack it in.

Can anyone help. We've been told the best place to stay in Fishermans wharf, and as usual goldengate, alcartz, tram cars but what else

Much appreciated.

Ray&Sarah
04-02-2005, 22:47
We have just booked an internal flight from Orlando to San Fran in August this year. We have also booked to stay at the Marriot on Fishermans Wharf as this was recommened to us by friends.
We have been advised to fit in Alcatraz, Pier 39 and to catch a tram and a cable car. We are thinking of booking a tour to fit in as many places as possible and they seem pretty easy to book on the Internet.[msnsmile2]

blott
04-02-2005, 22:48
China Town, you can't miss that - have a meal there! Try Oakland - over the GG bridge and back on the Oakland bridge.

shenon
04-02-2005, 23:11
you can book your tickets for alcatraz before you go should you decide to ...try
http://www.alcatraztrips.com/
also i found this hotel a while ago..it's worth a look
http://www.innabovetide.com/roomsandrates.html
have a great trip:)

amy
04-02-2005, 23:11
Would recommend the full day tour which includes alcatraz, as you can wait days for just a trip to alkatraz due to only limited people allowed on.
Also recommend Alloto No 8 on the wharf for a meal.
Don't miss the bush man at the end of fishermans wharf!!!

wrpac00
05-02-2005, 01:01
Book your Alcatraz tickets online and try and get an early boat, it gets busier as the day goes on.

Ray&Sarah
05-02-2005, 02:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
Book your Alcatraz tickets online and try and get an early boat, it gets busier as the day goes on.
[/quote]

Got that ons covered, some friends are buying our Alcatraz tickets on-line as a gift for Rays 40th birthday.[msnsmile2]

shenon
05-02-2005, 03:25
thats great,.. for my hubbies 40th (know it's a bit off topic) i took him to las vegas and it was a surprise all the way...the security at heathrow were brilliant and he didn't even know where he was going on the flight over there and had a fab time too:D:D:D

Snapper
05-02-2005, 04:57
Hi Ceri,

If you really want to go to Alcatraz book your tickets now. Straight away. They often sell out weeks in advance.

Something a bit of the beaten track is to head out over the Golden Gate (heading towards Sausalito) and head up Mt Tamilpas for the day. It's only a short hike from the end of the road up to the top and you get a truly awesome view of the whole bay area. If you can hire a mountain bike or two it's the mountain biking capital of the world.

Cruella DeVilla
05-02-2005, 12:42
The tickets for Alcatraz sell out days in advance but there are private companies which do a "special" such as cruise of the Bay, trip to Alcatraz and then tour of China town. That was how we go round it. It was a few dollars more but worth it!

Fishermans Wharf is nice to, but can be touristy!

Nostromo
05-02-2005, 12:58
San Francisco in our favourite city in the USA and there is a lot to see and do. First off, it will be cooler in SF than you expect in February and so be prepared, even if you're going to California.

SF almost has a European characters with its Cable Cars and traditional buildings. Main areas to see are Chinatown (don't miss the Ma-Tsu Temple), Civic Center, Financial District, Fisherman's Wharf, Marina, Golden Gate Park & Bridge - to name just a few. If you have time, check locally for the several short walking tours available, since there are good ways to see sights of your choice. Be sure to sample the delicacies in the stalls around Fisherman's Wharf.

If you have time, you can also check-out local excursions to East Bay or Napa Valley.

If you want to look at something....well... unusual (not very unusual in SF!), pop over to Castro District. It is the famous 'alternative' lifestyle of SF.

Ray&Sarah
05-02-2005, 13:22
You are the third person to recommend the "walking tours" Nostromo so will have to check these out.:)

linda allen
05-02-2005, 13:37
SF is our favourite city, my husband was there last week I'm soooo jealous.
As everyone has said, Alcertraz is really great. I love Sausalito too, there are lots of little art galleries there and its a nice place to have lunch.
Napa valley is beautiful too and worth a visit.
There is a building in SF, cant remember its name but it is the tallest one there. There is a cocktail bar on the top floor which is lovely to go for a drink and watch the sun go down.

Nostromo
05-02-2005, 13:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by linda allen
There is a building in SF, cant remember its name but it is the tallest one there. There is a cocktail bar on the top floor which is lovely to go for a drink and watch the sun go down.
[/quote]

The tallest building in SF is the Transamerica Pyramid, but I did not know that there was a cocktail bar on top of its aluminium spire.

linda allen
05-02-2005, 14:04
Maybe its not that one, I'll ask Bry, he remembers these things.

Cruella DeVilla
05-02-2005, 16:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
You are the third person to recommend the "walking tours" Nostromo so will have to check these out.:)
[/quote]

The china town tour is a walking tour, the one I was talking about above as part of the Bay tour ticket, you just arrange it for later after your boat trips, we did it the next day. (I found out how a fortune cookie was made)!;)

CERICROWLEY
05-02-2005, 17:17
Is there any six flags park or similar nearby

Ray&Sarah
05-02-2005, 18:38
There is a Six Flags water park at Sacremento and a Six Flags Marine Park near SF but that isn't open until March. The nearest Six Flags theme park would be in LA.[msnsmile2]

jolliffee
05-02-2005, 20:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

The tallest building in SF is the Transamerica Pyramid, but I did not know that there was a cocktail bar on top of its aluminium spire.
[/quote]

Bet thats painful to sit on?[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
05-02-2005, 21:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not if the bar make their cocktails strong enough![^]

daisy
05-02-2005, 22:13
hi this is one topic i actually know all about went to san fransicco for new year for a week. it is a fantastic place i can throughly recommend the marriot hotel near union square only a short walk to cable cars and buses. it had a cocktail lounge on 39 flor witch has amazing veiws over the city. a tram pass is probably best you can pay for individual trips but this works out cheaper. you can go on as many times as you want then just be careful you are very close to cars when riding outside and hang on ! alcatraz was that good we went twice night/day were both good for diferent reasons. lombard street is the crookedest street that is really good there is a blue house on there which i fell in love with i can dream ! oh there is a chesse cake factory on the top floor of macys in union square. if any of your pary want cosmetics/perfume dont wait until airport like i did big mistake there is hardy anthing at san fransisco airport lovely big modern airport just tiny duty free bit and i noted more expensive than macys ! golden gate bridge of course lovely walk even in the rain ! take an umbrela its rains a lot. if you want any more info dont hesitate to ask i hope you have a lovely time [msnsmile2]

CERICROWLEY
05-02-2005, 22:25
Thanks for all your comments, please keep them coming.

After reading a couple of them. it seems that most of the time if your take the tours and that, that you may not need a car to get around. Is it still advisable to hire a car.

daisy
05-02-2005, 22:32
hi i personally woundnt hire a car the cable cars and busses get you around fine and those hills are so steep you would have to be a very experienced driver and theres not too many places to park. personal prefernce of course but you coudnt have paid me to drive there !

daisy
05-02-2005, 22:34
have just had another thought ! we didnt go on any city tours and manged to see lots of the city .it dependes on your fitness and how much you like walking we walked a lot of it must have walked about 6 miles a day at least

linda allen
05-02-2005, 23:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't feel a thing, they were good cocktails:D:D

Thanks Daisy, yes thats the place I was thinking of. We stayed in the Westin St Francis, just up the road from the Marriott. I should have said highest bar, not highest building.

Ray&Sarah
06-02-2005, 15:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY

After reading a couple of them. it seems that most of the time if your take the tours and that, that you may not need a car to get around. Is it still advisable to hire a car.
[/quote]

We have been advised not to hire a car as parking is really expensive.[msnsmile]

blott
06-02-2005, 16:03
You were advised right! Parking in a hotel underground car park was $25 a day (and that was 8 years ago!) and parking generally is almost impossible anywhere in the City. If you're wanting to explore further afield, then try and arrange all your City related trips into one section and then your car rental required trips into another section so that you have a car for the least amount of time.

Cruella DeVilla
06-02-2005, 16:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah

[/quote]

We have been advised not to hire a car as parking is really expensive.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

What and miss out driving down Lombard Street!:D:D

Nostromo
06-02-2005, 20:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla[br
What and miss out driving down Lombard Street!:D:D
[/quote]

We had our taxi go down the crooked bit of Lombard Street, but it was more fun walking down the sidewalk afterwards. Some of the homeowners had big cars in their open garages and I could not help wonder how they managed to turn into the street. I have a great picture somewhere of us at the bottom of Lombard Street with the flower beds in full bloom in the background.

Snapper
06-02-2005, 22:00
If you do hire a car there is a nifty little bylaw in San Fran that when you park you have to 'kerb' your wheels. That is, turn the steering until the wheels point inwards towards the kerb. It's to stop runaway vehicles on the hills if the handbrake fails.

If you don't hire a car, how are you going to get to the Cliff House for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, or all three? Not to mention heading out to Yosemite?

Ray&Sarah
07-02-2005, 00:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
If you do hire a car there is a nifty little bylaw in San Fran that when you park you have to 'kerb' your wheels. That is, turn the steering until the wheels point inwards towards the kerb. It's to stop runaway vehicles on the hills if the handbrake fails.

If you don't hire a car, how are you going to get to the Cliff House for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, or all three? Not to mention heading out to Yosemite?
[/quote]

We are only going to be in SF three nights, so we are planning to do a tour out to the Golden Gate Bridge. We haven't got time to take in Yosemite but that is still on our "must do" list. a good excuse to go back.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

daisy
07-02-2005, 00:31
we didnt have time to do yosemite and we were there a week . would have loved to do that will have to go back [msnsmile2].there is so much to do and its such a lovely place.

wrpac00
07-02-2005, 01:13
We had free parking at the hotel where we stayed. It was about a 20-25 min walk to pier 39. We found the car useful especially when we drove over the 3 bridges, Golden gate, the one out near Oakland and the double decker one (can't remember it's name) on the way back to SF.

CERICROWLEY
07-02-2005, 13:58
We have debating on the time of year to go. Hubby has just been told that the weather in San Fran is about the same as here.

Any advice

Nostromo
07-02-2005, 14:20
We have debating on the time of year to go. Hubby has just been told that the weather in San Fran is about the same as here.

Any advice
[/quote]

Not really. You get a lot more sunshine and it is generally warmer, especially on summer days. We went in June and the weather was quite good, but it can sometimes get surprisingly 'fresh' in the evening in northern California. It helps to have a windcheater handy.

SF is a good jumping off point to do several National Parks like Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Redwood. We went to all of them and the walking trip through Sequoia National Park was particularly memorable.

Ray&Sarah
07-02-2005, 21:26
Some friends of ours went in April and they said it got quite chilly at times.[msnsmile2]

daisy
07-02-2005, 21:44
new year was freezing and i`ve never sem so much so much rain but still had a fabulous time would love to go back at a warmer time of year. just another thought if you walk from fishermans waft towards the fery terminal there are some lovely resturants on the habour with spectacular veiws.

Pluto
08-02-2005, 00:09
Hi
We spent 4 days in San Francisco, staying at the Holiday Inn in Fisherman's Wharf.

We were on a fly drive and San Francisco was our first port of call. Don't bother with a car. We picked ours up at the Airport and then parked it at the Hotel for 4 days!!

As a lot of other people have mentioned, it is very easy to get around. Don't miss the tram rides. It is absolutely brilliant riding up and down those hills.

Alcatraz is a must but you might be better booking before you get there, or at least booking as soon as you arrive.

We went on a City tour - by coach, which gave us a good insight into some of the areas me might not have otherwise covered.

We were there in September and it was very hot. However, at around 4.30 each day the mist would suddenly come in and the wind pick up making it turn cool very quickly.

Whatever you do while you are there I am sure you will have a great time. It is one place the I would definitely like to go back to.

Enjoy your trip.

CERICROWLEY
08-02-2005, 00:12
Can someone tell me about any sports events that are on.

Football season has just finished.
Looking at the spring training for the giants they train in Arizona, which might be a bit far. any suggestions

CERICROWLEY
09-02-2005, 19:44
Can anyone tell me how much a taxi would be from SFO airport to Fishermans Quay.
Also have seen a couple of excursion trips, to go on.
One Day trolley hop
Walking tour of the Haight
Yosemite in a day by coach

Places to eat
Wolfgang puck
Shanghai 1930

daisy
09-02-2005, 20:57
we pre booked a taxi from airport and back again was really good about 15 dollors for the two of us that was to marriot near union square. shoudnt be that much more its a mini bus that picks various peaople up onlong the way. if you let the hotel arange taxi they are more expensive. i will go and have a look for the number for you

Ray&Sarah
09-02-2005, 21:01
That sounds very reasonable Daisy, we will ahve to take a taxi to Fishermans wharf from the airport too.[msnsmile]

daisy
09-02-2005, 21:08
hi ceri and ray and sara , have just been through my san fransisco stuff and found a map with some coupons on the company is called bay shuttle they have a web site and a phone no

www.bayshuttle.com
(415) 564-3400

just mention code :citymap and they should let you book if for $9 per person to any hotel. can throughly recommend them prompt polite service and the minibus was not full either way.

Ray&Sarah
09-02-2005, 21:29
Thanks Daisy have added the link to my favourites on our computer and will give them a ring a little later in the year.[msnsmile]

CERICROWLEY
09-02-2005, 23:29
Daisy

You have been an invaluable source of information.
Thank you
:D

E. Cosgrove
10-02-2005, 03:25
Try and ride the cable cars at night as well as in the day, you get a totally different perspective in the dark, and don't forget to visit the cable car museum.

E. Cosgrove
10-02-2005, 03:29
September is supposed to be the warmest month<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY

Any advice
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
10-02-2005, 03:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Try and ride the cable cars at night as well as in the day, you get a totally different perspective in the dark, and don't forget to visit the cable car museum.
[/quote]

Will write that one down on the list of "things to do" Liz, running out of time to fit it all in will definately have to go back.[msnsmile2]

linda allen
10-02-2005, 12:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
September is supposed to be the warmest month<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY

Any advice
[/quote]
[/quote]

It can get quite windy at any time of the year and quite often it can be foggy.

CERICROWLEY
22-02-2005, 13:47
Have decided to go to our villa in Orlando and try San Fransisco in the August Bank holiday, when I just come back again from Orlando, Well once you get jetlag you might as well roll with it.

It is very busy at this time? Is the weather warmer although still windy I suppose. do I need to pack my jeans or shorts.

Nostromo
22-02-2005, 13:54
Have decided to go to our villa in Orlando and try San Fransisco in the August Bank holiday, when I just come back again from Orlando, Well once you get jetlag you might as well roll with it.

It is very busy at this time? Is the weather warmer although still windy I suppose. do I need to pack my jeans or shorts.

[/quote]

If you mean San Francisco in late August, it will be warm to hot during the day and you might be OK with shorts. But it does get windy and nippy towards evening, particularly in Fisherman's Wharf and other waterfront areas. When you walk through the streets perpendicular to the waterfront, you get the classic 'tunnel' effect due to the wind blowing through, giving goose pimples.

Cruella DeVilla
22-02-2005, 14:37
We were there in August a couple of years ago and it was absolutely freezing at night, I jest not, we are talking goretex jacket, gloves and scarf!! We drove up from LA with aircon on and when we stepped outside the hotel in San Fran it was warmer in the car with the aircon on!! During the day was ok although we still had long trousers and long sleeves on then. Apparently this is the norm. We met a couple from San Fran when we were in LA and they warned us to expect it to be cold! Could catch you out really as you just presume it will be warm!

CarolAnn
22-02-2005, 17:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
We were there in August a couple of years ago and it was absolutely freezing at night, I jest not, we are talking goretex jacket, gloves and scarf!! We drove up from LA with aircon on and when we stepped outside the hotel in San Fran it was warmer in the car with the aircon on!! During the day was ok although we still had long trousers and long sleeves on then. Apparently this is the norm. We met a couple from San Fran when we were in LA and they warned us to expect it to be cold! Could catch you out really as you just presume it will be warm!
[/quote]
We did the San Fran to L.A. route 1 drive, 7 years ago in October!! And have to say it was pretty chilly until we got to Santa Barabara!!
Do NOT park against traffic in SF either, we got a parking fine for that, and we were only parked long another for a 'comfort stop' for our daughter, then 5!! We did all the sights except Alcatraz which I regret. Though....personal opinion, Florida was more for me[8D]:D

george
23-02-2005, 00:35
We went to SF in May the year before last stayed at the Radisson in Fishermens Wharf very nice. You must do alcatraz and get the headsets - you really felt as if you were there with the Bird Man ! It was also quite cold in May we had to buy fleeces (they seem to sell a lot of those)- If you get a chance to go to Yosemite I can thoroughly recommend it ! I preferred it to the Grand Canyon ! Drving down Lombard Street was an experience and hanging on the edge of the trams was good fun also. Whatever you do it's a great city !

Pamela