PDA

View Full Version : Blood Donors

chunkichik
04-02-2005, 16:46
Being a blood donor myself, I was shocked to learn, that only 6% of the population are donors and it has been reported today that blood supplies are due to hit an all time low due to further restrictions on donating due to two cases of CJD being transmitted.

Although I have only been doing it for about two years now, I would urge anyone who like me, always wanted to do it but never got round to it. Its an amazing feeling to think you may be helping someone and the staff are so friendly and so thankful to you for taking the time out to do it. If you are 0 neg (rhesus) like me, then your blood can be given to anybody, this is usually used in hospital casulty departments before they cross-match your type.

Right, I'll get off my soapbox now!!!![msnsmile2],I'm just interested to see what population of the OV are donors[msnsmile2]

blott
04-02-2005, 17:07
The hospital where I worked in London for many years had their own blood transfusion service where they used staff donations rather than from the National Blood Transfusion service. Most of the staff used to donate regularly (although they were only called upon when their particular blood group was required) and, in emergency situations, were always ready to dash in to give blood if called.

I've also donated via the NBTS but I now have a medical condition which precludes donating blood, otherwise I'd still be doing it. It's a shame as I'm O Rh negative (universal donor) too.

Nostromo
04-02-2005, 17:12
I donate blood when I can, which is not as often as I would like because of work schedules. On average, I'd say about once every year.

chrizzy100
04-02-2005, 17:12
I can't donate blood uneless its needed in a few hours.....or so I was told in the hospital when I was a lot younger..something to do with my blood type......so really I never thought about it after that.... if you're English you can't donate blood in the USA.....

Nostromo
04-02-2005, 17:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
if you're English you can't donate blood in the USA.....
[/quote]

I did not know that. Why? Does it apply only to English people for some strange historical reason or all non-Americans?

MaggieAllan
04-02-2005, 17:28
I didn't tick anything...I have tried twice and been told not to bother..years ago I must admit. They always struggle finding a vein..have the same trouble when i have blood tests, but always succeed, with the help of friendly staff. On the occasions I have tried when work used to arrange it I was made to feel stupid. I explained that I knew I was difficult, and that I sometimes feel faint, and got lectured about why was I wasting their time, and discussed very loudly across the room to the extent that colleagues were laughing.

Maybe I need to give it another go...I do don't I...

Considering only 6% give, maybe I'm not the only one who has been made to feel like this....but it's time we fought back, the cause is too important.

ctgirlscout
04-02-2005, 17:38
I didn't vote, as there wasn't really a choice for me. I have donated, (I started in college) and I do donate when I can, but the bloodmobile seldom comes to our town. Unless its in town, I just don't have the time to try and track them down. So I donate less frequently than once a year.

chrizzy100
04-02-2005, 17:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

I did not know that. Why? Does it apply only to English people for some strange historical reason or all non-Americans?
[/quote]

I was told its because of mad cow......so it would be anyone who has moved to the USA where there has been mad cow.......

julieanne
04-02-2005, 17:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MaggieAllan
I didn't tick anything...I have tried twice and been told not to bother..years ago I must admit. They always struggle finding a vein..have the same trouble when i have blood tests, but always succeed, with the help of friendly staff. On the occasions I have tried when work used to arrange it I was made to feel stupid. I explained that I knew I was difficult, and that I sometimes feel faint, and got lectured about why was I wasting their time, and discussed very loudly across the room to the extent that colleagues were laughing.

Maybe I need to give it another go...I do don't I...

Considering only 6% give, maybe I'm not the only one who has been made to feel like this....but it's time we fought back, the cause is too important.
[/quote]

I'm the same as you Maggie - whenever I have tried they have told me not to bother as it was too much hard work to get any blood from me.
And as for having a blood test it's a nightmare [msncry]

But reading this has made me decide to try once more and see what they say this time...........

chunkichik
04-02-2005, 18:15
[/quote]

[/quote]

I was told its because of mad cow......so it would be anyone who has moved to the USA where there has been mad cow.......
[/quote]

I'm a mad cow!! does that count?[msnwink]

Maggie and Julieanne, I am too very stingy with my veins, but usually have no problem when donating as these people do it all day everyday dont they? would have thought they would have been able to do it. A couple of times they have failed to get a vein in one arm and then they ask if you want to try the other arm and so far.....this has been ok,but if they really do have trouble, I didn't mean to make you feel guilty[msnembarrased]

Anita

Liam_Sandie
04-02-2005, 18:33
Chrissy you are absolutely right, when we moved to Southern Ireland a few years ago, Liam went to donate and was told that they didn't want it for the very same reasons you cannot donate there. He was really miffed!!!![msnmad][}:)]:(

Although must be honest and say, we haven't been vey pro-active since returning to the UK, the 6% really makes you think.:(

Lyn
04-02-2005, 18:43
I always used to go twice a year before I had the kids, but have never got round to it since. My daughter now gives every 4 months but I am now so nervous of needles and have terrible trouble with veins (or the lack of them) that it makes me feel faint just thinking about it. I do feel guilty though[msnsad]

Snapper
04-02-2005, 18:57
I started in 1989 and try to go as often as I can, although sometimes this isn't as often as I'd like due to travel and time committments. I got a badge from them a couple of years ago but I can't remember if it was the bronze or silver one.

A really good friend of mine is a nurse and she did a stint with the blood transfusion service. When she first started she used us all as human crash test dummies to practice finding veins. We'd have many a happy evening in her living room being swabbed and needled.

SG
04-02-2005, 18:59
I donate every four months. My veins like to stay well hidden but they always manage to find one and I donate with no problem.

Very sad to read that only 6% of the population donate!

rosie
04-02-2005, 19:28
I donated for over 10 years but can't anymore for medical reasons [msnsad]

Nostromo
04-02-2005, 19:46
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mad Cow? C'mon. They can't be serious.....that's Crazy! (If you'll forgive the pun). People in the UK still donate blood within the country and we are not exactly infested with CJD are we?

blott
04-02-2005, 19:57
It's true though, it's because of CJD.

At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:

You are not eligible to donate if, since 1980, you :
* Spent a total time of 3 months or more in any of these countries:
England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, or

* Spent a total time of 6 months or more in any combination of these countries:
Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Boznia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands (Holland), Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, # Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales, Yugoslavia (includes Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia)

# Received insulin derived from cattle (bovine) from any of the countries listed above

# Received a blood transfusion in any of these countries:
England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

LiesaAnna
04-02-2005, 20:04
was told i cant as i have high blood pressure and take medication daily, also the arthritis take medication daily, would have been quite happy to give it but was told i couldnt!
hubby Steve gives regularly and is Anthony Nolan bone marrow register, but he is a fainter!!! always has but has overcome it slightly since giving blood, hes a big bloke and feels so stupid cos he faints! we had to go to the hospital together once for blood test i was 7- 8 months pregnant and fine he was well fine after they picked him up off the floor, now they make him lay down anywhere if he has to give blood for whatever reason!!
so i couldnt vote!!![msnwink]
Both A positive, and steve gives every 3 months ... my hero!

Jo
04-02-2005, 20:14
I too may be a mad cow!

Last year the blood transfusion service decided if you had received a transfusion during a certain time period in the UK you may carry CJD and therefore you cannot donate any more. They must have lost a lot of donor this way and therefore must need a lot more

I still owe about 8 pints. I'd have loved to have paid them back.

Thank you very much to all you donors - some of us wouldn't be here without your generousity.

Ray&Sarah
04-02-2005, 20:17
I try to donate every six months but for many reasons not always possible. It is a good feeling knowing that you are helping others to recover.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
04-02-2005, 20:32
I donate blood when I can, which is not as often as I would like because of work schedules. On average, I'd say about once every year.
[/quote]

Nostromo....I have partial immunity to malaria...which I got from my father.....it does have a name that I can't remember......have you heard of it....??

Nostromo
04-02-2005, 20:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100[brNostromo....I have partial immunity to malaria...which I got from my father.....it does have a name that I can't remember......have you heard of it....??
[/quote]

Was it the African type Falciparum Malaria? This is the only one of the 4 types that can cause a serious and potential fatal complication called Blackwater Fever (Cerebral Malaria). Although there is extensive research going on about developing an effective anti-malaria vaccine, none is in general use. The 'malaria prevention' that we take on tropical holiday (not always appropriately prescribed) are actually antimalarial antibiotics aimed at keeping a steady high blood level so that even if the parasite enters the blood stream following the mosquito bite, it cannot localise and multiply effectively.

E. Cosgrove
04-02-2005, 20:44
I am a lapsed blood donor.
Used to donate regularly but then one time they wouldn't take it as I had a cold sent for me 6 months later and same scenario, I think it happened a third time and then they stopped sending for me, no excuse I know and I need to go again.

chrizzy100
04-02-2005, 20:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100[brNostromo....I have partial immunity to malaria...which I got from my father.....it does have a name that I can't remember......have you heard of it....??
[/quote]

Was it the African type Falciparum Malaria? This is the only one of the 4 types that can cause a serious and potential fatal complication called Blackwater Fever (Cerebral Malaria). Although there is extensive research going on about developing an effective anti-malaria vaccine, none is in general use. The 'malaria prevention' that we take on tropical holiday (not always appropriately prescribed) are actually antimalarial antibiotics aimed at keeping a steady high blood lever so that even if the parasite enters the blood stream following the mosquito bite, it cannot localise and multiply effectively.
[/quote]

My father was in both Africa and Asia in the second world war......all we know is it was 'recurring malaria'..and that he had to leave the army early...and he was very sick with it......I had some test when expecting my second baby....it was a study I took part in to see what antibodies women had...when they got my tests back.... ...they asked me about my father was he black.??....had I left the country....have I had malaria myself.....I never thought much about it...till a new doctor I had read my notes and told me of a new study saying that fathers can pass antibodies to malaria onto their children.....I just wondered if you'd heard of it.....

John Rocke
04-02-2005, 22:44
went last friday, still got the bruise.

they don't give locals any more either.

the bit I really hate is when you have to offer up a finger or thumb to give a drop for the initial test.
I get a cold sweat at that. I spend all day at work cutting and scratching myself without a second thought, but that little prick in the finger gets me every time

jr

Ray&Sarah
04-02-2005, 22:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Rocke

the bit I really hate is when you have to offer up a finger or thumb to give a drop for the initial test.
I get a cold sweat at that. I spend all day at work cutting and scratching myself without a second thought, but that little prick in the finger gets me every time

jr
[/quote]

I agree with you there John that is the worst part in my opinion too, actually giving blood is a breeze after that.[msneek]

fiona
05-02-2005, 02:18
I used to give blood regularly and have had a blood transfusion but no longer can due to medical condition. Have my bloods checked every 3 weeks and if they are not good enough will have to have something to boost me for the chemo. Having had 23 lymph nodes removed from my left underarm they are now only attacking my right arm - so the veins go into hiding at the sight of a needle! We are now into heated up pillows on the hand.

Nostromo
05-02-2005, 13:28

[i]My father was in both Africa and Asia in the second world war......all we know is it was 'recurring malaria'..and that he had to leave the army early...and he was very sick with it......I had some test when expecting my second baby....it was a study I took part in to see what antibodies women had...when they got my tests back.... ...they asked me about my father was he black.??....had I left the country....have I had malaria myself.....I never thought much about it...till a new doctor I had read my notes and told me of a new study saying that fathers can pass antibodies to malaria onto their children.....I just wondered if you'd heard of it.....

The immune response to Malaria in humans is still very much under study. It seems to behave like a double-edged sword. Babies can inherit short-term Malaria immunity from their mothers (who might not themselves be immune by then) but this is lost after 6 months. The current thinking is that a built-in surface antibody in the Plasmodium itself confers this temporary immunity, but there are other polyspecific substances contracted at the time of infection that inhibit this immunity from becoming long term. That's why development of a successful vaccine has not been easy and Malaria keeps "coming back".

porky
05-02-2005, 15:55
I used to donate regularly then as with Liz lapsed because of several colds. I finally phoned to find when the next session was locally and I was told they didn't need my blood group at the moment (AB Neg) and would contact me again when they did. That was 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for the contact.:(

Jacqui

LesleyB
05-02-2005, 16:54
Luckily our receptionist at work is very active in organising the mobile units to come on site, so I give twice or three times a year. They usually manage to collect 35-40 units on each visit.

Ray&Sarah
05-02-2005, 19:11
Ray gives blood at a unit that comes into his place of work, if he is in the country at the timw that is. A couple of years ago he joked that he would get out of it as he had just got over a dose of shingles, he likes the thought of helping others just not keen on the needles. However when he went along to the donor unit they were even keener to take his blood, antibodies or something in it. I am sure Nostromo can explain why if we ask him nicely.[msnsmile2] So he gave bllod anyway.[msnsmile]

ctgirlscout
05-02-2005, 22:47

jr
[/quote]

What do you mean by "locals"?

I agree with the finger prick. Its the worst part! [xx(] Some states used to take the sample out of the earlobe, which was a lot better, but not too many do that anymore.

blott
05-02-2005, 23:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout

jr
[/quote]

What do you mean by "locals"?[/quote]Local anaesthetic injection in your arm Teresa, before they put the collecting needle in.

Nostromo
05-02-2005, 23:43
The needle used for drawing blood is only a bit thicker than the one used to give a 'local' and so it is pointless giving someone 2 pricks (of the needle!). But for kids and those (like me!) who are terrified of needles, there is something called 'EMLA-Cream'. Applied to the skin overlying a chosen vein about an hour before the prick, it very effectivly anaesthetises the skin. Most parents can be taught how to use it.

Rich-n-Ang
07-02-2005, 14:13
I am a regular (Rich), went through a stage where I used to donate plasma as well but had to stop and go back to regular blood due to work commitments, currently on 95 donations. Angie used to donate as well but used to pass out after donating so they told her to stop attending.

Fran19
01-03-2005, 16:18
I donate usualy every 4 months but lapsed last year. Will go back with the next appointment. They are a little rough in my neck of the woods (Orpington, Kent)even though I have veins that stand to attention and wait to be bled!! I think I need a little of hubby's fat layers (he doesn't have many!!) to cover my veins. The nurses always drool when they see my arms. (This does make me sound revolting!!!) I feel very guilty I have lapsed after reading that its only 6% of the population who donate - must make a point of finding out when next donor session is now!

Lyn
01-03-2005, 17:33
Help, My daughter asked me if I would go with her tonight to donate and I said yes, I hate needles, but I will go[msnscared]

MaggieAllan
01-03-2005, 17:36
Good on yer Lyn..remember to eat well beforehand so you don't feel faint with the thoughts of what is happening.

In fact why not think about Florida whilst you're there.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
01-03-2005, 18:04
good on yer Lyn!!!![msnwink]

KJH
01-03-2005, 18:15
My cousin died of CDJ two years ago. He was only 38 and the original diognosis was that he had a bad back!

A year later he was dead.

It is serious and there is more of it about than people realise, the goverment do a good job in covering up.

Kaz

Lyn
02-03-2005, 00:46
Well I am back and I never even felt a thing, I feel really pleased with myself, will go again in 16 weeks.

LiesaAnna
02-03-2005, 00:50
well done!!! wish i could do it!! but the arthitis wont let me and the medicines i take!!! am very proud of everyone thta gives blood!!![msncool]

LesleyB
02-03-2005, 01:23
I gave blood today as well, they were very gentle :D - no bruise this time.

ORLANDO_MAGIC
02-03-2005, 01:27
Well done all blood givershttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/200531212658_needle.gif

mollymoo
02-03-2005, 01:35
Thanks Orlandomagic am now feeling very faint, I hate needles!!!!!!!

Well done to all those that donate, but I would end up on the floor in a wreck!!!!

[msncry][msncry][msncry]

Kerry-Ann

chunkichik
02-03-2005, 03:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ORLANDO_MAGIC
Well done all blood givershttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/200531212658_needle.gif
[/quote]

I love all your little pictures/smilies John, where do you get them from!!!!!

Well done everyone who has given blood, it wasnt my intention into make anyone feel guilty and rush out and do it, I was just surprised so few people did

jon2211
02-03-2005, 03:47
Are any of you donors out there on the Bone Marrow Register? All you have to do is complete a form next time you donate.

My sister had leukaemia a few years ago and I was a perfect match for her. I am on the register still and a couple of weeks ago received a letter saying that I was matched for someone else. I have just been for more tests and will find out in the next couple of weeks if I am suitable for a bone marrow transfusion.

Some people may be put off but it's not so bad. They can do it now by extracting stem cells from your blood. It is relatively painless. For many people this is their last chance.

Aiminghigh
02-03-2005, 08:59
I donate every 4 months(or whenever the letter arrives)

chunkichik
04-03-2005, 01:13
Yes Jon, I am on the bone marrow register[msnsmile2], good luck to you, it would be amazing to help one person never mind two!!!

shame theres not a gold star smilie on here but I would award it to you!

greenpete
04-03-2005, 02:40
I gave blood for many years, then due to medical conditions (high blood pressure and later cancer) am unable to. Pete still gives blood regularly, every three months. He received a silver badge recently. His blood group is 'O' negative something. He was told it's used for babies. I'm very proud of him.

Anna

orlandodaze
04-03-2005, 04:10
Thank you for reminding me.Im a lapsed blood donor. They changed the location of the blood bank in town, so I totally forgot about it .hubby cannot give blood because of some childhood illness but I have no excuse so now its down on my list of must dos.I just remembered my passport ran out today ,I need to renew it .Here in Ireland its now 75 euros for the normal ten year passport .Pretty steep especially now that all kids need their own passport.

mrs d smith
04-03-2005, 14:32
I give blood when i can, have been doing it for about 2 years now, my dad has always done it, i think his given over 80 times [msnsmile]

well done to all that give[msnsmile2]

laalaa
27-03-2005, 17:05
Nostromo,
Was reading with interest your post about putting emla cream om your arm before blood donation. I'm a nurse and thought id try this before donation..........and got a big lecture for doing so!!!!
Thye refused to take my blood, and sent me away!

They gave me a lecture about when inserting the needle, a tiny bit of emla could enter my bloodstream, and because it would be in my bloodstream i could no longer donate!!

Only prob i could see with using emala or ametop is one of them (i cant remember which at the mo) vasoconstricts.

Anyway, it is always the same people who come take blood in my town, so ive never done it again!

KJH
28-03-2005, 00:37
I'm AB neg. I don't know if I can donate because I'm on Thyroxine.

Kaz

LiesaAnna
28-03-2005, 01:10
could be worth looking into Kaz, wish i could do it, but the arthritis and blood pressure wont let me! hubby been doing it for years and on Anthony Nolans bone marrow register, he would love to be a match and help someone! but same as me A positive not a rare one!

DiannaUK
28-03-2005, 01:44
I think donating blood is a very worthwhile thing to do and many thanks to those who take the time, because I've been the recipient in the past.[clap]

Unfortunately, due to medication that I have to take (for the rest of my life) I can't donate blood but I do hope this thread encourages people who can to do so more regularly.

Dianna.

Magical Dreams
28-03-2005, 16:44
Over the last few years, I have given 10 units, as others have said, its a great feeling!

worth going for the Tea and Biscuits!!

Only joking!!

Every little helps!

[msnsmile2]

Harmony
30-03-2005, 18:39
I once went regularly and I got my bronze badge. I was well on the way to getting my silver when I started having to take warfarin to thin my blood. My blood would now do more harm than good.

Like many others it is sometimes difficult for them to find my vein but they are usually so gentle and understanding that I never felt my blood was unwelcome. To those who have had this experience please do try again. In the last year I have had three operations and would not now be here if not for the generous donations of blood.

To all whose who do give a big THANK YOU [grouphug] . To those who don't PLEASE consider it.

Jeff