PDA

View Full Version : Fletch's Trip Report - Part 2

Fletch
04-02-2005, 06:01
Friday 7 January

Andrew woke us up at around 7am – I’m surprised he slept that long, but we had “kept him going” until 9pm, so I guess that paid off. We had a breakfast of toast and marmalade from the very basic welcome pack, finished off with some chocolate chip cookies. We were all hungry and were tempted to set off in search of a famous American all you can eat breakfast, but had been asked to wait in as the villa manager was coming to make sure everything was in order and to get us to sign some paperwork.

While we were waiting for him to turn up, I started unpacking (too tired last night to unpack anything but the basic essentials). Andrew has a gastrostomy and receives formula feed through the night and also during the day if he won’t take anything by mouth. The company who supply us with the feed and equipment had sent all his supplies direct to the villa for us, so we didn’t need to use up valuable luggage space with all his feedstuff. It was there waiting for us at the villa when we arrived, so I had made his overnight feed and put his spare pump into the battery charger overnight. The company had provided me with a transformer to enable me to charge the pump but it appeared that the battery was not charging.

We had set up an account using John’s credit card to enable us to ring home from the villa phone, so I used it to ring the company in England to inform them and ask their advice. They offered to send another transformer by air mail, but we decided we would buy some batteries and see how much life we got out of them.

When the manager arrived, it turned out he was an electrician by trade, so he had a look at the transformer we’d been given and found something had burnt out in the plug! Luckily, I had inadvertently packed the charger we use in England, so he rang the local branch of Radio Shack and asked if they had a transformer in stock – they only had one, so he asked them to put it by for us.
He was a really nice guy and was helpful in so many ways – he’d brought us a great map of the area and made sure we were orientated to the major tourist attractions, Walmart etc.

After he’d gone, we decided to go to Walmart for some food, and spent a fascinating hour just looking at all the unfamiliar food stuff. We stocked up with essentials (ie water, wine and beer!!! plus some food as well[msnwink]) and had a quick look at the clothes. I bought some hair straighteners which were amazingly cheap and are actually better than the ones I use at home! The Florida frizz had struck already so these were a necessity for me.

We then carried on up Oren Brown to the junction with the 192. Radio Shack was right across the road from the junction and, in our naivety, we followed a local (presumably) who was attempting to cross the carriageway despite the heavy traffic in both directions. Needless to say, he got across no problem, while we had to stop in the middle of the eastbound carriageway due to the fact that the tiny gap he’d slipped through was suddenly filled by a huge truck bearing down on us[msnscared]. Amazingly, none of the cars who had ground to a halt to our left even sounded a horn – I am sure there were a few choice words (******* tourists! etc). We all averted our gaze from the left side of the car [:I]and prayed for a gap to our right, while Andrew clapped his hands in glee at the close proximity of all these cars (vehicle watching comes a close second to door swinging in his list of favourite things to do). After what seemed like a lifetime, a gap miraculously appeared to our right and we zipped across the carriageway into the parking lot of Radio Shack. We all decided that a good plan in future would be to look for the next properly marked left turn, or traffic lights, and double back on ourselves if we needed to be on the other side of the road for anything!

We picked up the transformer from Radio Shack, then decided we would turn right onto the 192 after our ordeal and follow it to the junction with Poinciana Boulevard. Fifteen minutes later, safely back in the villa, we s

Nostromo
04-02-2005, 10:58
Another nice report, Fletch. That was a piece of luck, the manager turning out to be an electrician, wasn't it?

I discovered long ago that following the locals' antics while driving can be dangerous. After the recent accident on US27, one has to be careful about getting acroos a busy carriageway. All the best.

You wimps! You chickened out of the Sky Coaster! OK, since you plan to go again next Saturday, be sure to ride it AND The Slingshot. It will be an experience of a lifetime and you won't regret it.

Looking forward to further instalments.....

LiesaAnna
04-02-2005, 11:40
Nice one again Fletch!![clap]
love the way you tell them!! glad you got sortde with Andrews pumps etc... glad the manager was able to help you!
sounds like your all having a great time!!
dont leave us waiting to long for the next part...... pleeeeeeeze!
thanx!

Ray&Sarah
04-02-2005, 12:21
Another excellant report Fletch.[msnsmile2] Sounds like your hot tip for the first day was don't follow a local crossing a busy road!!![msnwink][msnsmile2]

MaggieAllan
04-02-2005, 12:25
Great reading again Linda...sorry you didn't enjoy CB..I prefer their breakfasts, but did have a lovely evening meal of pork chops and three veg once...and Roadhouse is really good food isn't it, although the first impression when you go in, you wouldn't think so.I like their flatiron steak. Our men always get the peanuts and make a mess!!Not the kids please note!!

Roll on the next instalment.

daisy
04-02-2005, 13:40
am really enjoying reading your trip report its so detailed keep it coming. pleased that andrew was having a good time.

julieanne
04-02-2005, 13:44
Linda - your reports are fantastic :)
Feel as if I'm there with you, keep 'em coming.

LesleyB
04-02-2005, 13:45
I'm really enjoying your report - looking forward to the next one.:D

Fletch
04-02-2005, 14:56
Thanks everyone. It's really strange recounting it all - like reliving it all over again.

melvazquez
04-02-2005, 15:37
Great Fletch.

Keep them coming![msnsmile2]

mel

blott
04-02-2005, 16:23
Another great report Fletch, keep 'em coming...

E. Cosgrove
04-02-2005, 20:32
Excellent Fletch, sounds like we will have to try the Roadhouse, is that on the 192? If so which is the nearest marker?

MaggieAllan
04-02-2005, 21:37
Liz

It's just past walmart but on the other side, so if you went past Medieval Times, then Walmart, through the lights then watch out on the other side a few 100 yds maybe...one storey wooden lodge type looking place.

Maggie

bluebirds
04-02-2005, 22:35
Another great instalment. Looking forward to the next. Great to hear about the area i will be visiting. Pippa

ORLANDO_MAGIC
04-02-2005, 23:00
Cant wait for part 3.
You certainly have a great memory with so much detail.

eagleydo
04-02-2005, 23:35
Great report again. We love going to Florida Mall and always eat the Bourbon Cicken or Chicken Terryikia, so much so that we ead straight here from the airport before going to the villa and also this is our last stop off before going home.

Fletch
05-02-2005, 16:18
Thanks everyone. Part 3 hopefully to be posted on the site later today, along with some photos if I can successfully download them!

Ray&Sarah
05-02-2005, 19:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
Great report again. We love going to Florida Mall and always eat the Bourbon Cicken or Chicken Terryikia, so much so that we ead straight here from the airport before going to the villa and also this is our last stop off before going home.
[/quote]

My hubby and eldest don love Bourbon and Terryikia Chicken as well but always complain how filling it is so they can't eat that much at once.[msnsmile2]

eagleydo
06-02-2005, 21:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
[/quote]

My hubby and eldest don love Bourbon and Terryikia Chicken as well but always complain how filling it is so they can't eat that much at once.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

That is so true, but love trying all the same. As we get nearer to our trip we start imagining clearing the plate but then lets be honest can rarely finish all they serve up in Florida the portions are to big for one person.

Pluto
08-02-2005, 00:29
Thanks for a great report. Looking forward to the next instalment:D

Lyn
10-02-2005, 01:18
Great report, detail is fantastic, can't wait for the nextinstallment

ORLANDO_MAGIC
10-02-2005, 01:36
We want 3
We want 3
We want 3
We want 3
We want 3
We want 3
We want 3.
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/200529213615_deal.gif

Fletch
10-02-2005, 02:55
Sorry everyone - this has been such a busy week with Andrew off school and a guest house full (not complaining - more money to go back to Florida with [msnwink]). I'm on the case and will post next instalment soon (promise!)

Ray&Sarah
10-02-2005, 03:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fletch
Sorry everyone - this has been such a busy week with Andrew off school and a guest house full (not complaining - more money to go back to Florida with [msnwink]). I'm on the case and will post next instalment soon (promise!)
[/quote]

Looking forward to it Fletch![msnsmile2]

orlandobabe
10-02-2005, 07:28
I've really enjoyed your reports.

Our trips have also co-incided. We came out on Jan 15 and go back Feb 12th sob.

I'm just 60 miles from you in Hartlepool-and come down to York about every 6 weeks. Great place to live I think.

Shame about The Florida Mall-I think it's great.
Fave places are Penneys, Sears, Burdines, Disney store-etc because when they do sales-they are usually really good.

Hope we get part 3 soon.

julieanne
10-02-2005, 14:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandobabe
I've really enjoyed your reports.

Our trips have also co-incided. We came out on Jan 15 and go back Feb 12th sob.

<span style="color:red">I'm just 60 miles from you in Hartlepool-and come down to York about every 6 weeks. Great place to live I think.</span id="red">

Shame about The Florida Mall-I think it's great.
Fave places are Penneys, Sears, Burdines, Disney store-etc because when they do sales-they are usually really good.

Hope we get part 3 soon.
[/quote]

Orlandobabe - I'm not far from you - I'm in sunny [laugh] Stockton.
I often go to York too. Sorry you have to come home soon - but you have been there a month, you lucky things [8D]

Hurry up Linda - need another Florida fix with one of your wonderful reports.....

ahagan
10-02-2005, 15:40
Fletch

Very good accounts of your trip. Thanks. Eagerly awaiting part 3.

Cruella DeVilla
10-02-2005, 16:30
I don't rate the Florida Mall much either. Went to Mall at Milleia for the first time last trip as after something from Louis Vuitton and that was ok, I prefer the Outlet type Malls(except Belz) as they have more or less the same general goods at half the price!

Looking forward to part 3!

Magical Dreams
11-02-2005, 01:59
Such a good read!!

I could almost see you drinking from the Jam Jar!!

We also Love Old Town

So nice and relaxed!!

Andrew must have loved all those cars and bright lights!!
bless him!!

By the way, what a cool name !! [msnwink]