PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota

orlandobabe
14-02-2002, 23:26
Just 2 hours south of Orlando on the Gulf Coast.

It was my dream to spend New Year's Day on a warm beach and we managed this at Sarasota. We went to Siesta Key-which is a beautiful unspoilt beach where the sand is like fine white dust! Fabulous! It was quite hot too!

We stayed overnight in a hotel on the bay for about $65. It was a Holiday Inn but I think they were renaming it to Inn on the Bay or something like that!

The next day we went to St Armand's Quay and that was faboulous-lots of little shops where you can have a good old mooch around! Some with very expensive goodies in them. Sadly we were just getting going-when the heavens opened-as it does over there-and we had to head for a Barney's coffee shop.

Rain unfortunately stopped play so we set off for the Tamiami Trail and found a nice mall!

Also a nice Olive Garden down there as well.

Definitely will be going back!

Orlandobabe

carole7007
15-02-2002, 01:06
We have been to Sarasota, it was great.

The shopping circle was really nice, we had a wonder round each evening and selected somewhere to eat.

Keith and the children loved the Ice Cream/Fudge shop. Everything freshly hand made.

Carole & Keith

imported_n/a
15-02-2002, 01:15
We can highly recommend Siesta Key, Sarasota. We have stayed for many year's at Sara Sea Inn at the Beach which is one of about 5 motels in a crescent from which you walk straight on the beach of white sand. Self catering motels rooms which can sleep up to 4 and you can also hire luxurious 2 and 3 bedroomed apartments for larger families.

esprit
22-02-2002, 02:57
The Ringling museum at Sarasota is really worth a visit and very inxexpensive. The art museum has some old masters which are worth a fortune as well as some American patriotic art. But the piece de resistance is the circus museum. stuffed full of old costumes. props, posters, films etc. All in beautiful gardens at the edge of the sea. John Ringlings mansion, which looks like the Alhambra is also being restored and will be open to the public though at the moment you can only access the terrace and look through the windows. Nice cafe as well. Also the Sarasota Jungle Gardens makes a good half day out as does the Pelican Sanctuary.

Julie Carty

orlandobabe
22-02-2002, 15:07
Wow! Julie.

Thanks for all that info. Sarasota is definitely on our list for when we go back and will certainly have a look at those attractions you have just described.

Might have to stay two nights instead of one! Actually heard my mum say she could live in Sarasota! Who knows!

Orlandobabe

imported_n/a
22-02-2002, 18:55
You will find great fish restaurants at the harbour and fabulous yachts too. We first called it Smellysota as the Harbour didn't smell to great but they seem to have got around that now.

ian
25-02-2002, 17:55
Is there not a Christmas restaurant just at St.Armands circle as well. We stayed at Longboat Key a few years ago and arrived Sunday early afternoon - it was so busy we thought we'd made a big mistake, but Monday morning all the Florida locals had gone back home and it was a terrific week - at least until Saturday midday when they all appeared again!
ian

abbeyvillas
10-05-2005, 15:37
[msncool]We spent a few days at Sarasota last September, fabulous place to relax & unwind. Lovely shops & restaurants. Only thing we find on the Gulf coast is that everywhere seems to close around 10.00pm.

becbecs
10-05-2005, 17:02
Sarasota is a fab place been there our selves and stayed on Longboat Key.
Lots of fab restaurants at St Armands Circle and yes I have to agree about the sand a Siesta Key its like power gets everywhere too. :D

julieanne
29-07-2005, 13:27
I <span style="color:red">love</span id="red"> Sarasota - I'd love to own a home there one day [8D]

becbecs
01-03-2007, 01:15
Snap Julieanne

Sarasota especially Longboat Key is paradise

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
I <span style="color:red">love</span id="red"> Sarasota - I'd love to own a home there one day [8D]
[/quote]

Macka
07-03-2007, 16:07
Myakka state park is very good too, nice boat trips to see gators, eagles, ospreys and what have you. it's about half an hours drive from Siesta key if memory serves.

We do Siesta key every year, it's our idea of paradise. We do a week in kissimmee and then two at Siesta key to relax.

julieanne
07-03-2007, 16:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
Myakka state park is very good too, nice boat trips to see gators, eagles, ospreys and what have you. it's about half an hours drive from Siesta key if memory serves.

We do Siesta key every year,<span style="color:red"> it's our idea of paradise.</span id="red"> We do a week in kissimmee and then two at Siesta key to relax.
[/quote]

Ours too [clap]

Clare R
07-03-2007, 21:08
Love Sarasota, the library is worth a visit as is the Marie Selby gardens which are just off the front. Marina Jacks looks expensive but isn't, fabulous view sitting there looking over the Marina. Ringling Museum is great, the grounds are free to enter. Just keep walking towards the water and you come across a mosaic terrace with tables and chairs to sit and let the world go by.

Don't forget Mote Marina, an important establishment, working very hard on Red Tide and well worth a visit. Turn right off St. Armands Circle and right before the next big bridge.

Boat trips from Sarasota for a couple of hours well worth a visit - if only to see what a modest house Jerry Springer lives in tucked up underneath the new bridge.