PDA

View Full Version : Drivers License

ajay83
02-02-2005, 22:06
On an E2 visa, do you need to take a US driving test etc, even if you have an international drivers license/brit license?

What is involved in a US Driving test?

chrizzy100
02-02-2005, 22:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ajay83
On an E2 visa, do you need to take a US driving test etc, even if you have an international drivers license/brit license?

What is involved in a US Driving test?
[/quote]

If you are moving to FL I believe you have to take the test within a month of moving there......if you work......or in-roll a child in school.....etc.....

blott
02-02-2005, 22:57
You need a Florida driving licence within a month of arrival, whatever driving licence you already have.

Florida driving test is a list of 20 multiple choice questions and, if you complete that successfully, you go on to the actual driving test which is around a car park and includes stopping, parking, etc, etc If you passed your driving test in the UK, you could find it's easy in Florida.

If you want to have a practice at some sample questions, try here: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/exam.html

Nostromo
03-02-2005, 01:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
You need a Florida driving licence within a month of arrival, whatever driving licence you already have.
[/quote]

Even if one has a valid UK licence PLUS an International Driving Licence valid for 12 months? I thought one could postpone the deadline with those.

chrizzy100
03-02-2005, 01:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
[/quote]

Even if one has a valid UK licence PLUS an International Driving Licence valid for 12 months? I thought one could postpone the deadline with those.
[/quote]

Not if you plan to work or put a child in school in FL......you can drive on an out of State licence for 6 months if its just a long visit....

blott
03-02-2005, 01:36
Sorry Nostromo, it doesn't quite work like that - we're talking about Florida here! You have 30 days to obtain a Florida driving licence from your date of arrival if you're going to live there (which means taking a Florida driving test). http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/ch_201.html#anchor52212

esprit
03-02-2005, 03:12
Having to do a US license is based on residence. People staying 6 months on B2 can use their Brit licenses. Residence has various tests but is based on work, school, applying for homestead exemption, things which show permanence and not just visiting. Besides you will have a problem with US insurance without a US driving license.
The car park bit is only Orlando, in some places you do the test on the roads!!!

Nostromo
03-02-2005, 16:22
Sorry Nostromo, it doesn't quite work like that - we're talking about Florida here! You have 30 days to obtain a Florida driving licence from your date of arrival if you're going to live there (which means taking a Florida driving test). http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/ch_201.html#anchor52212
[/quote]

OK, look at this scenario. A UK person applies for a working visa the ususal way and gets it. Let us say that it is due to be valid from 1st Sept 2005; Can he/she then use their Brit passport to come to the US on the VWS on the 1st June, stay with relatives in Florida and use his UK driving licence to drive legally for 90 days? By then the visa would come into effect, giving his/her UK licence 30 further days of validity - 4 months in all. I know it is unlikely, but is this a legal loophole?

blott
03-02-2005, 16:31
If you don't put a kid into school or start work (or any of the other things mentioned on the link I gave) then you can use your British driving licence for up to six months as Esprit has said.

Nostromo
03-02-2005, 16:39
If you don't put a kid into school or start work (or any of the other things mentioned on the link I gave) then you can use your British driving licence for up to six months as Esprit has said.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. The crucial thing here as I see it is the need to pass the Florida Driving test, something obviously very important to live and work there. All of us drive in Florida as tourists, but I thought that to drive well enough to pass an official Driving Test might need a bit more experience and confidence than driving for mere 30 days.

florida4sun
03-02-2005, 17:49
Nostromo,
I am on the floor reading this:D The test is so easy it can easily be done by reading up on the highway code on your flight and then taking it the next day (even if you have not driven in Florida). The hardest bit is the multi choice, even if you fail first time you simply join the queue and do it again. Once the written part is passed you go onto to drive around the small compound. Anyone who fails that should not be allowed anywhere near anything with wheels and an engine[msnwink]
We both passed on tests within 7 days of being there and without reading up. Although I had to do the multichoice twice.
The one thing not mentioned here is that most insurance companies will insist on a Florida licence within 30 days or you policy is void.

[/quote]

Thanks for that. The crucial thing here as I see it is the need to pass the Florida Driving test, something obviously very important to live and work there. All of us drive in Florida as tourists, but I thought that to drive well enough to pass an official Driving Test might need a bit more experience and confidence than driving for mere 30 days.
[/quote]

esprit
03-02-2005, 20:48
Its so easy that I passed it first time!! So did my teenage son who didnt have a UK driving license and just had a few lessons from my husband. Mind you I do know two Brits who failed, one for pulling onto the left side of the road out of his three point turn, and another for not coming to a total and utter stop at a stop sign. We all mugged up for a few hours on the theory, I think you really need to do that as I know somoeone who failed that several times because they thought they could wing it without reading the book. Driving test place on OBT is like hell on earth so the least time you spend in that place the better.

chrizzy100
03-02-2005, 21:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Its so easy that I passed it first time!! So did my teenage son who didnt have a UK driving license and just had a few lessons from my husband. Mind you I do know two Brits who failed, one for pulling onto the left side of the road out of his three point turn, and another for not coming to a total and utter stop at a stop sign. We all mugged up for a few hours on the theory, I think you really need to do that as I know somoeone who failed that several times because they thought they could wing it without reading the book. Driving test place on OBT is like hell on earth so the least time you spend in that place the better.
[/quote]

Does Mrs X know you are posting her shame on other forums........LOL!

Nostromo
03-02-2005, 23:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Nostromo,
The test is so easy it can easily be done by reading up on the highway code on your flight and then taking it the next day (even if you have not driven in Florida). The hardest bit is the multi choice, even if you fail first time you simply join the queue and do it again. Once the written part is passed you go onto to drive around the small compound.
[[/quote]

I see! But that's silly. It is a throwback to the "driving test" that I took 30 years ago in India. How can someone be judged by a MCQ and a drive around the compound? Are you sure you are not pulling my leg?

florida4sun
03-02-2005, 23:51
Why do you think the p;arking spaces are so big, the standard of drving is very poor. You do not see at first but it is generally poor. The driving test really is that easy.
One thing I dont nmiss is the amount nof dinks and dents you get from people who judge reversing by stopping when they hit something. We had a big ford v8 van. It was immaculate when we bought it, when we sold the body work was full of small dents and scratches. Some in places you would not think possible!!

Nostromo,
The test is so easy it can easily be done by reading up on the highway code on your flight and then taking it the next day (even if you have not driven in Florida). The hardest bit is the multi choice, even if you fail first time you simply join the queue and do it again. Once the written part is passed you go onto to drive around the small compound.
[[/quote]

I see! But that's silly. It is a throwback to the "driving test" that I took 30 years ago in India. How can someone be judged by a MCQ and a drive around the compound? Are you sure you are not pulling my leg?
[/quote]

Snapper
04-02-2005, 01:28
Just out of interest, what happens for motorcycles? Is there an add-on test?

blott
04-02-2005, 02:00
They've got a separate test for those. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/ch_205.html#anchor224809

esprit
04-02-2005, 09:02
Didnt name any names, Chrizzy!! Could have been, errr anyone:D

Nostromo
04-02-2005, 11:07
Why do you think the parking spaces are so big, the standard of drving is very poor. You do not see at first but it is generally poor. The driving test really is that easy.
[/quote]

I must admit that I never looked at the US drivers a being 'poor' in terms of skill. I only assumed that driving in the US was a lot simpler because of the straighter roads, predictable turnoffs and generally lower speeds. I suppose that's cos the cities are largely built with cars in mind. You seldom see the twisting, turning country lanes in built-up areas, something common in the UK villages.

On the whole though, I always felt that the UK drivers were more intimidating, especially when they are in a hurry (which seems to be most of the time!). I have driven in both London and New York and found the former considerably more stressful.

florida4sun
04-02-2005, 12:17
Yep it is interesting, although the standard of skill is much lower thatn the average uk driver, drving in general is more pleasant in Florida. Aprt from rush hour, florida drivers drive slower and leave room between cars. Also being able to overtake in any lane (I know its not legal but it is accepted) helps too.
In the Uk we drive much faster, have smaller roads and much less patience, every moring at a particular point on the scholol run I have to use a can opener to prize my way into a feeder lane, people gaurd thier right of way as it it were life itself[msneek]

Why do you think the parking spaces are so big, the standard of drving is very poor. You do not see at first but it is generally poor. The driving test really is that easy.
[/quote]

I must admit that I never looked at the US drivers a being 'poor' in terms of skill. I only assumed that driving in the US was a lot simpler because of the straighter roads, predictable turnoffs and generally lower speeds. I suppose that's cos the cities are largely built with cars in mind. You seldom see the twisting, turning country lanes in built-up areas, something common in the UK villages.

On the whole though, I always felt that the UK drivers were more intimidating, especially when they are in a hurry (which seems to be most of the time!). I have driven in both London and New York and found the former considerably more stressful.
[/quote]

Robert5988
04-02-2005, 16:38
When I investigated buying a car recently, the insurance company told me that it was now mandatory for a Florida driving licence to be held before they could issue insurance.

I have friends staying with me at the moment who are driving for the first time in the USA. Whilst they agree that driving is generally more pleasant they are appalled at the tailgating that goes on in all lanes and at all speeds. I suppose it stems from the fact that if you leave more than a couple of car lengths gap you will be 'undertaken' and 'cut up'.

flyrr100
04-02-2005, 16:56
Guys. Don't sweat the Florida driving test. In fact, don't sweat any US driving test.
It's a little more involved than driving around a parking lot. But it's still a doddle.
You will need a Florida license if you plan to insure a car here. Also a Florida license comes in handy as general ID. Many forms you'll be filling out will ask for two forms of ID. A passport will be ok for one but most places will like to see some form of US ID. Also, when you get speeding tickets the points will need to be put somewhere!

Ray9
04-02-2005, 18:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
When I investigated buying a car recently, the insurance company told me that it was now mandatory for a Florida driving licence to be held before they could issue insurance.
[/quote]Not true... but there are less companies that will take on a non US licenced driver than there ws a few years back ..Progressive Ins .. still will..at a price..

Robert5988
04-02-2005, 21:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Robert5988

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true... but there are less companies that will take on a non US licenced driver than there ws a few years back ..Progressive Ins .. still will..at a price..[/quote]
Ray9,
Well firstly it is true that the agent told me it was mandatory!

However after your(quoted) post I rang Progressive Insurance(1-800-274-4499) and 2 other auto insurance brokers. They all came up with the same information; that it is possible to issue insurance but it is mandatory to get a Florida driving license within 30 days.

This ties in with the posts Blott and Florida4sun made earlier in this thread.

flyrr100
05-02-2005, 00:31
If I remember correctly, when you go to tag and title your car the folks at the title agency will require a local licence and proof of insurance to issue a registration.

Frosty
01-03-2005, 02:06
Ok so everybody agrees its easy to pass, but how do you go about applying?

Do you just turn up at the test centre or do you have to book an appointment?

How long does it take to get your turn?

How long are the licenses issued for?

Neil

blott
01-03-2005, 02:32
You can either just turn up and wait your turn or book an appointment.

It depends on how many people there are waiting - could be an hour to six hours. Trick is apparently to turn up early before it opens.

Your Florida driving licence will be mailed to your US address within 30 days and is valid for the length of time remaining on your visa so that both run out at the same time.

When you go the next time, you have to renew it (but not take another test) and the same procedure applies, ie mailed within 30 days and valid for the length of time remaining on your visa.

esprit
01-03-2005, 05:17
Appointments for tests are running weeks ahead, four at least. The quickest way is as a walk in, queue up at 7 am with the huddles masses, big queues and it takes a while but you can take theory then practical and walk out with a license. I think I started at 7 am and had a license by 3 pm. You have to take your passport and I-94 with you plus proof of insurance for the car.

Ray9
01-03-2005, 08:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i They all came up with the same information; that it is possible to issue insurance but it is mandatory to get a Florida driving license within 30 days.[/quote]
This is true if you are Resident ..but not if you are a non-resident ..I have car dealer friends that come over for a few days a 3 or 4 times a year.... none have a florida licence .... and carry the insurance all year round from progressive...and have done for years ...My wife has been an Insurance agent for 20+ years here..
She know a bit about it .. Me!! I just pay the bill....

Frosty
01-03-2005, 13:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:You have to take your passport and I-94 with you plus proof of insurance for the car.[/quote]

Julie,
i assume that the rental agreement would be sufficient as proof of insurance, otherwise you would be stuck in a circle:-
- need licence for insurance - need insurance for licence.......

Neil

Frosty
02-03-2005, 18:46
I'm popping over for a week by myself to sort some stuff out and i thought maybe i would go for my license while i'm there.

I've just looked on the website and there is a test centre in Haines city, which is just down the road from me.
Has anybody used this centre?
Is there any difference between centres that anyone knows of?

Thanks for any help

Neil

florida4sun
02-03-2005, 19:35
Yepo they will take that. Dont forget the license expires once your I94 is up, so you have to re apply next time you come in.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:You have to take your passport and I-94 with you plus proof of insurance for the car.[/quote]

Julie,
i assume that the rental agreement would be sufficient as proof of insurance, otherwise you would be stuck in a circle:-
- need licence for insurance - need insurance for licence.......

Neil
[/quote]

flyrr100
03-03-2005, 19:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Appointments for tests are running weeks ahead, four at least. The quickest way is as a walk in, queue up at 7 am with the huddles masses, big queues and it takes a while but you can take theory then practical and walk out with a license. I think I started at 7 am and had a license by 3 pm. You have to take your passport and I-94 with you plus proof of insurance for the car.
[/quote]

When we moved here from Ohio my wife drove up to Lake County. The smaller the town the quicker it is. One hour drive but a twenty minute wait!
I was on a trip in Pensacola and got mine. It took less than ten minutes. Granted, I'd already had a Florida license before and had a current Ohio license so all I needed was a quick eye test.
We live in Seminole County where the wait can be counted in hours. I understand Orange County is even worse!

Frosty
03-03-2005, 23:29
I know you need your passport, I-94 & Insurance, but do you need to take proof of your US address where they will send the license ?

Neil

flyrr100
04-03-2005, 17:06
It's not sent. Youy get it right there! The machine takes about three minutes to spit it out.

Ray9
04-03-2005, 17:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
It's not sent. Youy get it right there! The machine takes about three minutes to spit it out.
[/quote]
Not if you are a non-resident...

SunLover
04-03-2005, 18:00
Your Florida driving licence will be mailed to your US address within 30 days and is valid for the length of time remaining on your visa so that both run out at the same time.

When you go the next time, you have to renew it (but not take another test) and the same procedure applies, ie mailed within 30 days and valid for the length of time remaining on your visa.
[/quote]

Blottie

Does it matter how long a gap there is between your original license being issued and then you subsequently renewing it again on your next visit ?

blott
04-03-2005, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
Blottie

Does it matter how long a gap there is between your original license being issued and then you subsequently renewing it again on your next visit ?[/quote]I can't find any maximum time but, after 12 months, you have to retake an eye test and, if the examiner questions your ability to operate a motor vehicle, you also have to retake the written and/or driving test. The fee for renewals after 12 months is $20 but renewals within less than 12 months are $15.

Paperwork required is here http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

Frosty
04-03-2005, 21:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
Blottie

Does it matter how long a gap there is between your original license being issued and then you subsequently renewing it again on your next visit ?[/quote]I can't find any maximum time but, after 12 months, you have to retake an eye test and, if the examiner questions your ability to operate a motor vehicle, you also have to retake the written and/or driving test. The fee for renewals after 12 months is $20 but renewals within less than 12 months are $15.

Paperwork required is here http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC
[/quote]

Blottie,

I've read all that, but it doesn't mention proof of address anywhere. If they are to post the license out to you, surely they would need to check your address somehow, would you not think?

blott
04-03-2005, 22:11
Presumably, they will have this covered here as you have to provide the US address where you're staying for your I-94W.

All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.

Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.

mrsbabypowder
03-05-2005, 22:20
FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE:

We arrived on August 10th on a B2 visa, bought a car on August 13th we got insurance with our UK Driving License. Cost around $1200 for 6 months for both of us.

We went down to the License Center in Kissimmee, only to be told after 3 hours of waiting that we didn't need a license because our UK license would be ok, and that we would have to re-new it every time our visa expired.

On April 1 this year, i was stopped by a Sheriff for a rolling stop at a stop sign.

he gave me a ticket of $114.50 and also a citation to appear before the Courts on May 4 (tomorrow)because as he stated on the citation - "fail to obtain a florida driver license within 30 days of employment" the reason i have this is because i own a business, although i do not work because i am not allowed. i explained this to the Sheriff and he would not listen. i took my theroy on april 4, and phoned the test center on OBT to book an appointment. The earliest available was June 15th. so i took this time, phoned the Court up because it states at the bottom of the page - "if charged with a drivers license of tag violation, there may be alternatives available to you without appearing in court. please contact the clerks office prior to your scheduled court date at *** *** ****"
i was told that i still have to appear. I took my test last week after standing in line from 4am to just gone 4pm. I passed this - pretty easy in the end nothing like the English test!
But tomorrow i will be in Court at 8am to see what they are going to hand out to me.