PDA

View Full Version : Suit: Disney's 'Pirates' Movie Pirated

WR1
02-02-2005, 12:29
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Central Florida filmmaker is taking the Walt Disney World Co. to court claiming the company stole the idea for their blockbuster movie "Pirates of the Caribbean -- Curse of the Black Pearl," according to Local 6 News.
The "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie is supposedly based on the Disney theme park attraction. However, in a 386-page lawsuit, Royce Mathew claims he developed the idea for the movie.
"When I started seeing it, I literally had tears in my eyes because, as an independent artist working numerous jobs, my whole career was basically pirated," Mathew said.
Mathew, an Altamonte Springs filmmaker who has worked on such projects as "Assault of the Killer Bimbos," says that 10 years ago he made a short film that resembled the Disney movie.
"I have a supernatural story about pirates who are trying to return a treasure, not steal it," Matthew said.

Mathew refused to show Local 6 News a copy of the movie, claiming it's part of his legal strategy.

In a letter, a Disney attorney told Mathew that the company stands ready to investigate his claim that his rights were infringed. However, to investigate, Disney is also asking to see a copy of Mathew's movie.

Mathew hopes his lawsuit will grab the attention of the movie's lead actor.

In his lawsuit, Mathew seeks a cut of Disney's profits from all movie, DVD and merchandise sales.

Mathew does not have an attorney, Local 6 News reported.

A Disney spokesman said the lawsuit has no merit.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Nostromo
02-02-2005, 13:54
Knowing how cutthroat Disney's business end can be, I wont be surprised if there is some truth in Royce Mathew's claim. But to prove his point and win against Disney's lawyers is something else altogether.

Ray&Sarah
02-02-2005, 20:08
He is brave taking on the Disney corporation on his own without a laywer.[msnscared][msnsmile]

chrizzy100
02-02-2005, 20:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by WR1
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Central Florida filmmaker is taking the Walt Disney World Co. to court claiming the company stole the idea for their blockbuster movie "Pirates of the Caribbean -- Curse of the Black Pearl," according to Local 6 News.
The "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie is supposedly based on the Disney theme park attraction. However, in a 386-page lawsuit, Royce Mathew claims he developed the idea for the movie.
"When I started seeing it, I literally had tears in my eyes because, as an independent artist working numerous jobs, my whole career was basically pirated," Mathew said.
Mathew, an Altamonte Springs filmmaker who has worked on such projects as "Assault of the Killer Bimbos," says that 10 years ago he made a short film that resembled the Disney movie.
"I have a supernatural story about pirates who are trying to return a treasure, not steal it," Matthew said.

Mathew refused to show Local 6 News a copy of the movie, claiming it's part of his legal strategy.

In a letter, a Disney attorney told Mathew that the company stands ready to investigate his claim that his rights were infringed. However, to investigate, Disney is also asking to see a copy of Mathew's movie.

Mathew hopes his lawsuit will grab the attention of the movie's lead actor.

In his lawsuit, Mathew seeks a cut of Disney's profits from all movie, DVD and merchandise sales.

Mathew does not have an attorney, Local 6 News reported.

A Disney spokesman said the lawsuit has no merit.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

[/quote]

He would have to prove that his movie was seen before the Disney one came out.....this happens all the time....people wanting a piece of the pie......it also happened with Harry Potter........

florida4sun
14-02-2005, 23:39
Not brave, just nuts!!!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
He is brave taking on the Disney corporation on his own without a laywer.[msnscared][msnsmile]
[/quote]

Nostromo
15-02-2005, 01:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Not brave, just nuts!!!!
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
[/quote]
[/quote]

Mathew may not be as nuts as we think. If his intention is to cause Disney a lot of damage, he may even succeed. He may have planned his case in such a way that if he loses (which he will, of course) Disney cannot have enough ground to counter with defamation charges against him. But the resulting adverse publicity (big company against a small man and all that) could hurt Disney, especially if the media have a field day. When they realise this somewhere along the way, Disney could offer to "settle it out of court" (if such a thing is possible in the USA), which could be precisely what Mathew is after. No wonder he is not using a lawyer.