PDA

View Full Version : Would you move to Florida?

chunkichik
01-02-2005, 13:26
I am interested to know how many people would 'reastically' move to Florida if given the chance.

I wouldn't right now, maybe when my children are grown up, I like the excitement and build up to a fantastic holiday!!!!!!!

LiesaAnna
01-02-2005, 13:29
where would i go for a decent holiday then!!lol

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 13:44
I voted that I would never actually want to live there. A major contributor to that vote is our line of work, since I would never even consider practicing medicine in America....or anywhere else outside the UK for that matter. So, I might have voted differently if I was doing something else.

Sally D
01-02-2005, 14:02
I don't know about this one. Yes thinking about it I would love to live there but don't think I ever would. My husband has spent so much time away from this country, sometimes 8 months at a time due to work that he is happy just to stay here. Also with 3 children it is never a good time to up root them from school. Eldest is just about to take her GCSE's. As long as I have my husband and children with me friends and family would not be a problem. The only one I would miss is my sister and she lives in North Yorkshire so don't get to see her that often anyway. My eldest does have some lovely friends and I know that she would miss them and would probably end up being miserable.

julieanne
01-02-2005, 14:13
Love the idea of being there permanently but have to be realistic and know it is not going to happen for me.
Not enough money to buy a business and no skills that they are likely to be desperate for over there :(

Hope to be in a position to spend a lot more time there in the future tho just by being able to take lots of long holidays

:D [8D]

christhear
01-02-2005, 15:15
I've ticked would be on the next plane. I know I can't as I don't have the skills they are looking for but if I could I would. Working as a swimming teacher it would be so nice to do this in the open air instead of in stuffy pools. Hubby probably wouldn't go because he wouls have to leave his Mummy behind [msncry]. I think thats another good reason for going[clap][clap]

Cruella DeVilla
01-02-2005, 15:21
I have gone for the currently moving over there option, although it is 30 months or so down the line, we have started the process now.:D

julieanne
01-02-2005, 15:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
I have gone for the currently moving over there option, although it is 30 months or so down the line, we have started the process now.:D
[/quote]
Ohhhhh!!
I'm so jealous [:P]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-02-2005, 16:29
I would never want to do it. It would drive me nuts - it's great for holidays etc etc, but I would absolutely hate living there. I like the UK too much.

ctgirlscout
01-02-2005, 16:35
I would never want to live in FL. Way too hot there. Right now I'm at the opposite end, way too cold, but if I had a choice I would go somewhere in-between.

blott
01-02-2005, 16:45
We did consider it but then found out that, because of pre-existing medical conditions, the health insurance would be outrageously expensive, ie £15,000 each per year and that was with our pre-existing conditions not covered!

wilfy
01-02-2005, 16:47
Maybe retire if it was possible [msncool][msncool]

caroline
01-02-2005, 17:08
We love Florida, but would never want to live there, although I'd like to spend longer periods there as and when the kids are older. I think 6 weeks at a time would be enough then I'd start to miss friends, family and home too much.

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 17:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wilfy
Maybe retire if it was possible [msncool][msncool]
[/quote]

We have considered this, retiring to either Florida or California, the latter being easier because of relatives there. It is still an option, but most likely we will retire 'home' to India.

chrizzy100
01-02-2005, 17:35
We maybe moving to FL in around 18 months....I would not of liked to have moved to FL straight from England......I'm sure with all the troubles we've had since moving over ....we would of left the USA by now.....I miss the England I left behind.....but after my daughter spent a few months back there last year.....I know I would not be going back to the same life......I don't think you notice how much a country changes until you move away....

01-02-2005, 18:06
We love going for long periods but could not live there.

We have had the opportunity to move out but turned it down - many reasons, I would not want to bring up or educate my children there or anywhere in th USA, the TV would drive me insane (no offence) but US TV only reports on US news most of the time its as if the rest of the world does not exist!!! Americans are very insular (sorry) too. Also the food out there is great for holidays but a lack of certain fresh un doctored produce would also drive me crazy!!!

Love it for holidays though!!!

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 18:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
the TV would drive me insane (no offence) but US TV only reports on US news most of the time its as if the rest of the world does not exist!!![/quote]

I think that is an important point Lal. I seldom watch TV in the US because the commercials are so frequent and annoying, the news is mostly about the US alone and the sports..[msnmad][msnmad]. Funnily enough, many of the US made TV programs that I like are easier to find in the UK than in the US.

Chloe
01-02-2005, 18:31
We would never actually live there. But hope to get to the point where we can perhaps go three times a year, and make the Winter trip a longish one, perhaps 8 weeks or so. Chloe

Cruella DeVilla
01-02-2005, 18:34
I have not lived in the UK for 20 years and do not miss it at all. I do like to visit my family and do a wee bit of shopping but have no urge to ever return and live there. It is expensive and the weather leaves a lot to be desired! So if it is not Florida it will be somewhere hot! [8D]

chrizzy100
01-02-2005, 18:36
I don't think I would put TV high on the list for not moving.......you're coming over to start a new life.....not to plant yourself infront of the box.....I find I use the TV because I'm stuck in my home some of the winter time......where it can be too dangerous to go out.......wind chill......ice....etc.........but in FL I never see the TV.....sometime I don't see the point to having the cable put on when we visit.......I get most of my news online......same as I did in the UK.....

The big thing to think about is....would you have a better life in the USA......not the same one but with a lot more sun......I have to answer yes...even with all the troubles we have had here......we have done well.....

Snapper
01-02-2005, 18:54
I went for the Other option. I would love to live in the US, at least for a few years, but if I had the choice I wouldn't choose Florida. I find it far too hot and humid through the summer. California would probably be top of the list, although I do like Phoenix as well; OK OK I know it's hotter in Phoenix, but I perfer that climate. I also have quite a soft spot for Chicago having worked there for a few months in the past.

I think the perfect lifestyle would be to spend a couple of months in Florida in October/November/December, Christmas in the UK, do a bit of skiing in January/February, March and April in Florida, May-August in the UK and then maybe a month on the Costa Blanca.

Further afield the whole coastline down from Cairns is just absolutely gorgeous. The cost of property in Oz isn't expensive, the lifestyle is great and the cost of living is still pretty reasonable. They do retirement visas also!! That might be a nice option to spend January/February over there (lovely and sunny) and ski the Rockies instead of skiing Europe.

Well ... we can all dream, can't we!!!

julieanne
01-02-2005, 19:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
We maybe moving to FL in around 18 months....I would not of liked to have moved to FL straight from England......I'm sure with all the troubles we've had since moving over ....we would of left the USA by now.....<span style="color:red">I miss the England I left behind.....but after my daughter spent a few months back there last year.....I know I would not be going back to the same life......I don't think you notice how much a country changes until you move away....</span id="red">
[/quote]

Stay where you are Chrizzy (in the States that is), I would if I were you [msnwink]

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 19:33
I don't think I would put TV high on the list for not moving.......you're coming over to start a new life.....not to plant yourself infront of the box.....I find I use the TV because I'm stuck in my home some of the winter time......The big thing to think about is....would you have a better life in the USA......not the same one but with a lot more sun......I have to answer yes...even with all the troubles we have had here......we have done well.....
[/quote]

Well, it is certainly not a big thing, but let us be honest. All of us do spend a few hours in frontt of the 'idiot box'. In our case, we hardly watch any TV now because of pressure of work (and OV forums ;)) but if we do succeed in retiring to the US, then we probably will see more of it - in which case, it does become an issue.

As for your question, "would you have a better life in the USA", it all depends on one's definition of a 'better life'. I would answer that question as 'NO'. Even though I love the sun and hate the british weather, I feel there are more important things in life (and I'm not talking about TV :))

chrizzy100
01-02-2005, 20:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
We maybe moving to FL in around 18 months....I would not of liked to have moved to FL straight from England......I'm sure with all the troubles we've had since moving over ....we would of left the USA by now.....<span style="color:red">I miss the England I left behind.....but after my daughter spent a few months back there last year.....I know I would not be going back to the same life......I don't think you notice how much a country changes until you move away....</span id="red">
[/quote]

Stay where you are Chrizzy (in the States that is), I would if I were you [msnwink]

[/quote]

I can't see us going back......my husbands job had gone in the UK.....and where we lived he would of been out of work for a very long time......so we would of had to move away.......so if you're going to move do a big move I say.....:D

chrizzy100
01-02-2005, 20:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I don't think I would put TV high on the list for not moving.......you're coming over to start a new life.....not to plant yourself infront of the box.....I find I use the TV because I'm stuck in my home some of the winter time......The big thing to think about is....would you have a better life in the USA......not the same one but with a lot more sun......I have to answer yes...even with all the troubles we have had here......we have done well.....
[/quote]

Well, it is certainly not a big thing, but let us be honest. All of us do spend a few hours in frontt of the 'idiot box'. In our case, we hardly watch any TV now because of pressure of work (and OV forums ;)) but if we do succeed in retiring to the US, then we probably will see more of it - in which case, it does become an issue.

As for your question, "would you have a better life in the USA", it all depends on one's definition of a 'better life'. I would answer that question as 'NO'. Even though I love the sun and hate the british weather, I feel there are more important things in life (and I'm not talking about TV :))
[/quote]

You can always find something good for those odd few hours....we have on demand.....so we can watch shows with no ads.......also some really good films......you can start and stop the shows when you like.....so I find that fills in my spare time really well.......and its all free....my idea of a better life is still having my home and a job....both lost in the UK with little hope of getting back......we were just lucky my husbands job ended and the job in the USA came up.....within 5 years we own one home outright.....most of the second...I now feel we have enough money behind us to do OK in the USA from now on.......that if my husbands job now goes....which I can't see happening now.....we can start up on our own.....have a more quiet life letting our kids work for us......and having more time to travel....or do the things we want.....something that would never have happen in a 100 years for us in the UK.....

Ray&Sarah
01-02-2005, 20:23
I put "would have to think about it" as although I love Florida I am not sure I would want to live there.[msnsmile2]

01-02-2005, 21:05
I don't think I would put TV high on the list for not moving.......you're coming over to start a new life.....not to plant yourself infront of the box.....I find I use the TV because I'm stuck in my home some of the winter time......where it can be too dangerous to go out.......wind chill......ice....etc.........but in FL I never see the TV.....sometime I don't see the point to having the cable put on when we visit.......I get most of my news online......same as I did in the UK.....

The big thing to think about is....would you have a better life in the USA......not the same one but with a lot more sun......I have to answer yes...even with all the troubles we have had here......we have done well.....

[/quote]

I wouldn't and do not plant myself infront of a TV but the US news is all about the US and I think its very dangerous if you don't know in depth what's going on around the world - the only decent TV news in the US is BBC World and as Sharon Osbourne said the other day in the US there is virtually nothing about the Tsunami now they have moved on to the Micheal Jackson trial (God forbid!!) where as here there are follow ups and updates but in the US it is virtually forgotten!

Would I have a better life in the US? NO! I live in a beautiful area and I have a wonderful life but thats me what others do and feel is personal to them and I would not impose my views on them [msnwink]

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 21:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100and having more time to travel....or do the things we want.....something that would never have happen in a 100 years for us in the UK.....
[/quote]

I accept that your situation is very different from mine, but I cannot compare my situation with my old school chum from India. Both went into medicine, but after qualification, he opted to try his luck in the US while I chose to come to the UK. 20 years down the line, he is working in New York and earning almost 5 times as much as I do, and yet would give anything to switch places with me. He finds the job excessively stressful and can barely squeeze in 2 weeks of holiday each year. I have been to more places in the USA than he has! So, between us, I have to say that I, living in the UK, find more time to do what I want than my friend back there ever would (for example, he would never find time to play in the OV Forums!).

01-02-2005, 21:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100and having more time to travel....or do the things we want.....something that would never have happen in a 100 years for us in the UK.....
[/quote]

I accept that your situation is very different from mine, but I cannot compare my situation with my old school chum from India. Both went into medicine, but after qualification, he opted to try his luck in the US while I chose to come to the UK. 20 years down the line, he is working in New York and earning almost 5 times as much as I do, and yet would give anything to switch places with me. He finds the job excessively stressful and can barely squeeze in 2 weeks of holiday each year. I have been to more places in the USA than he has! So, between us, I have to say that I, living in the UK, find more time to do what I want than my friend back there ever would (for example, he would never find time to play in the OV Forums!).
[/quote]

I agree with you about holidays Nostromo, we do alot of work in the US and our clients are always amazed at the amount of holidays we take - 4 weeks in August!!!

chrizzy100
01-02-2005, 22:10
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you about holidays Nostromo, we do alot of work in the US and our clients are always amazed at the amount of holidays we take - 4 weeks in August!!!
[/quote]

We are lucky with holiday time...hubby gets 5 weeks....plus US holidays....about 7 days I think.......plus 3 anytime days.....plus time off to catch the plane to FL early........

Ray&Sarah
01-02-2005, 22:45
Thats a good amount of holidays for someone working in the US Chrizzy. Ray works with a number of Americans and they don't get anywhere near that amount of time, although they are free to take "unpaid" holidays.[msnoo][msnsmile]

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 22:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Thats a good amount of holidays for someone working in the US Chrizzy. Ray works with a number of Americans and they don't get anywhere near that amount of time, although they are free to take "unpaid" holidays.[msnoo][msnsmile]
[/quote]

Sure, but they risk losing their job if they did that! Our relative living in Martinez near San Francisco once got stuck in India for 4 extra days due to unavoidable personal reasons. He was on tenterhooks till he reported back at his job and told us later that it was not beyond the realms of probability that he could have been replaced during his AWOL period!

Ray&Sarah
01-02-2005, 22:52
[/quote]

Sure, but they risk losing their job if they did that! Our relative living in Martinez near San Francisco once got stuck in India for 4 extra days due to unavoidable personal reasons. He was on tenterhooks till he reported back at his job and told us later that it was not beyond the realms of probability that he could have been replaced during his AWOL period!
[/quote]

That must have been a bit hairy for him.

Ray says he has learnt to appreciate how much time off he does get with pay since spending such alot of time in the US for work.
That is until he goes to one of the factories in Europe, they seem to get more.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
01-02-2005, 23:21
[/quote]

They asked how many weeks he had in the UK and matched it.....which was four weeks....five days are paid sick....which he can have as holiday if not used.....if he goes in and gets sent home that does not count....so he always goes in.......they always send him home......

moodyvilla
02-02-2005, 00:22
Think the states is great but don't know if I could live there. There are so many things that would wind me up. Also it all seems a bit false and I think that would start to wear a bit thin after time.

ringwood1
02-02-2005, 00:37
Went for other as both Keith and I love Florida and enjoy the way of life, but as both children are still in school - and will be for sometime - we wouldn't want to disrupt them. I would like a second home, probably on the Gulf Coast but this is something that we probably won't be able to afford for sometime, maybe when we retire. Although if we ever get £1 = $2.40 we will get a second mortgage and buy a villa of our own.

Nostromo
02-02-2005, 00:38
I do admit that the US is great for a tourist with so many varied attractions. I think foreigners like us can appreciate and enjoy those things more with our occasional visits than the Americans themselves. I am surpirsed by the "What's the big deal?" response elicited by some of my American acquaintances to things in their own country which I thought were great. I guess they were too preoccupied with other things - maybe life's stresses - to notice their own backyard. That's what convinced me that the US is a great place for a tourist but not necessarily to live permanently.

Perhaps that is UK's strength; the BASIC things in life are reasonably well catered for and one feels better equipped to handle an unexpected crisis here than anywhere else.

E. Cosgrove
02-02-2005, 01:21
I am with John on this one, I would never want to move permanently to the US although might be tempted to go for a limited time say 2 or 3 years if my husbands job were to take him there. I still believe we view life in the US and particularly Florida through the eyes of a tourist ie Rose coloured glasses and I admire those people who have made a life out there I'm sure they will tell you it isn't all beer and skittles!!!
Ideally I would like not to be tied to work so that I could go for longer periods of time, but if I don't work I don't have the money to travel so it's a vicious circle<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
I do admit that the US is great for a tourist with so many varied attractions. I think foreigners like us can appreciate and enjoy those things more with our occasional visits than the Americans themselves. I am surpirsed by the "What's the big deal?" response elicited by some of my American acquaintances to things in their own country which I thought were great. I guess they were too preoccupied with other things - maybe life's stresses - to notice their own backyard. That's what convinced me that the US is a great place for a tourist but not necessarily to live permanently.

Perhaps that is UK's strength; the BASIC things in life are reasonably well catered for and one feels better equipped to handle an unexpected crisis here than anywhere else.
[/quote]

julieanne
02-02-2005, 14:06
Think we all have to agree to disagree on this one - it really is a personal choice.

As I said before there is little hope of me ever having to make such a choice - I just dream of being able to spend longer holidays there [msnwink]

But I love to hear from the likes of Chrizzy, Esprit and the other "Brits" who have made a successful life for themselves out there. It's good to know it can be done.

Nostromo
02-02-2005, 15:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
Think we all have to agree to disagree on this one - it really is a personal choice.
[/quote]

Of course it is personal choice and you'll have millions of Americans and maybe many Brits agreeing with you.

What I meant was that I feel secure with the indefinable "backbone" feeling that living in the UK gives me...a sort of something always being there to fall back upon should things go wrong. My wife, who has lived and worked in the USA in the past, agrees with me and would never consider settling there.

chrizzy100
02-02-2005, 17:30
I still have the UK to fall back on....a house and family there...and I have the chance to live the American dream......when you move you go though a lot of things.....the first few years are just great that is if you've done your homework....then things that you thought you'd left behind in the UK catches up with you....and you start to think have I done the right thing......then for most people it all falls back into place and you know that you were right....until you have lived here for 3-4 years plus knowing that the USA could be your home always.....you can't really judge what living here is like......not by holidaying here....not by working here for a few years.....it just gives you a tiny look at a bigger picture.....the USA and England both have different faults.....and a lot of the same ones......I think both Julie and I like to warn people of the downside of moving so that they can make the move with their eyes wide open....America is a beauiful place ......I live in a part of it that has no crime to speak of....that is clean....and full of people that help each other out....I'm not sure I can say the same for FL.......but its the next place on my list to live....so I feel lucky that I can just pack up and go there......there is no really difference in everyday living in both countries when you came down to it.....my mum nearly died because healthcare was to slow in coming in the UK..after paying into it for years she had to payout herself to get a chance to live.......and people die here because they have no healthcare...its all swings and roundabouts......and down to where you live in any given country at the time.......I go to a lot of ex pet groups.....so I know a lot of people have gone through the same feelings I have....but its worth taking the chance too be able to choose where you live....and with all my ups and downs and fears and if I was very honest..I would not go back to the UK if you paid me a million pounds a year......I keep saying I will when I'm old but I can't see it happening.....I really love the USA.....I feel so lucky to be here.....knowning that thousands and thousands of Brits would love to be in my shoes...I don't see the USA through rose coloured glasses.......and I don't see the UK as a place that was so bad that I just had to leave it...you only live once so if you can do something different do it.....thats my 2 cents....[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
02-02-2005, 19:14
OK, I'll take a chance and say what I really feel about the difference between living in the UK and the US; it will be probably edited, but here goes: I think it is an old tendency among the British to rise to the occasion when the chips are really down. It is the opposite in America; you feel great as long as things are going smoothly, but if they start to go wrong...it is usually everyone for himself or herself. It might sound like a generalisation, but there IS some truth in this.

Ray&Sarah
02-02-2005, 20:05
We have considered trying to move to the US on a couple of occasions, Ray may get the chance to be sponsored by his company for a job at one of their factories over there. He would love to go, I am unsure but our boys are certain, they want to remain here in the Uk.[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
02-02-2005, 20:11
I just wonder if a truer representation of this thread would be for those actually able to go i.e no children, family, jobs etc tying them to the UK, who would actually make the move stateside?

chrizzy100
02-02-2005, 20:17
We have considered trying to move to the US on a couple of occasions, Ray may get the chance to be sponsored by his company for a job at one of their factories over there. He would love to go, I am unsure but our boys are certain, they want to remain here in the Uk.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

My kids were all for giving it ago.....knowing they could go back to the UK and live with grandparents.......my daughter was bored for a while and missed the UK.....but she spent a few months in the UK last year and hated every minute of it.....she phoned wanting to 'come home'......she now never talks about England.....she really wants to move to FL......so does my son.....the Cape is a beauiful place to bring up young kids......but its too small for young people.....
I try to tell people the facts about the big move.....too many people moving to a new country only see its good side....I never left England because it was a bad place to live....I never came to the USA because its the best place......I just made a move.....[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
02-02-2005, 20:22
I think you have got it right Chrizzy. We wouldn't move to get away from the Uk just to try something else. Our boys are not keen though and I wouldn't force them to go, the eldest is taller than me so I wouldn't dare.[msnwink][msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
02-02-2005, 21:13
I just wonder if a truer representation of this thread would be for those actually able to go i.e no children, family, jobs etc tying them to the UK, who would actually make the move stateside?
[/quote]

I read somewhere that you are moving over......CDV........any reason.....or just a new start....??

I love new starts...and would move every year if I could.......:D

Cruella DeVilla
02-02-2005, 22:57
[/quote]

I read somewhere that you are moving over......CDV........any reason.....or just a new start....??

[/quote]

Want to get some use out of the new house;)
I have lived all over the world in the last 20 years, it is now the turn of Florida to host me for a wee while!;). Could not imagine returning to the UK through choice really. The grass is always greener and all that.........I have seen what is out there;)

chrizzy100
03-02-2005, 01:07
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have lived all over the world in the last 20 years, it is now the turn of Florida to host me for a wee while!;). Could not imagine returning to the UK through choice really. The grass is always greener and all that.........I have seen what is out there;)
[/quote]

Well good luck with your plans.....[msnsmile2]
You know I know a few people in their 70s who have never left the Cape.....my friends parents being 2 of them......my friend first left the Cape to take her sons to hockey matches when she was in her 30s...the Cape is so small....I don't know how they did it...I don't think I could live in one place for long..let along never leave it ever...7 years is the longest so far......

julieanne
03-02-2005, 13:26
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good luck CDV - you sound as if you are our OV resident jet setter
[msnwink][msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
03-02-2005, 14:28
Thanks Julie!

CarolAnn
03-02-2005, 15:36
I am so jealous CDV:D[8D][msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
03-02-2005, 16:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
[/quote]

You know you can always come and visit!

Nostromo
03-02-2005, 16:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
[/quote]

You know you can always come and visit!
[/quote]

In that case CDV, I'm jealous too! [msnwink][msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
03-02-2005, 19:21
OK Arun, might let you come and visit too;)

Nostromo
03-02-2005, 21:33
OK Arun, might let you come and visit too;)
[/quote]

Thanks. I am already on my way![angel][angel]

Ray&Sarah
03-02-2005, 21:56
Can we all be jealous then CDV, you could have a house full!!![msnwink]:D

Nostromo
03-02-2005, 23:27
Can we all be jealous then CDV, you could have a house full!!![msnwink]:D
[/quote]

Speak for yourselves, R&S! In this instance, I'd rather be jealous on my own![:O][:O];);)

John Rocke
03-02-2005, 23:51
i voted never as well. Again great for hols and maybe winters when we are older and less committed family wise.

I like the way of life that you get in Florida but am realistic enough to know that to earn a living there would be hard work.

I wouldn't mind a couple of years there on a work permit, a bit of plumbing in the sun would be great. But not now.

i feel that if you are going to move somewhere, it should be because you want to be there and not to get away from where you are at the present. Too many people I know have come back to the UK, saying they were getting away because "this country is finished". Rubbish!!

Funny you mention Cairns Steve, we are off there in July for the first time ever and can't wait. New experiences, can't beat them.

jr

clichegirl
04-02-2005, 02:04
We should be out there by July , just bought residential in Clermont and at present sorting out my sons schooling......All systems go.[clap][clap][clap]

tuzanne
04-02-2005, 16:31
We bought our villa in Orlando initially as an investment to use the equity in our house. However, since then we have considered it would be nice to spend winters in Florida when we retire like the US snowbirds. We would probably sell the Orlando villa and buy one in Sarasota, Clearwater or St Petes Beach as we would not need to be that near the parks. We really liked Naples but could not afford a similar villa there as it is so expensive.

Has anyone on this forum done this and what did they think of the reality?

Sue

chrizzy100
04-02-2005, 17:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tuzanne
We bought our villa in Orlando initially as an investment to use the equity in our house. However, since then we have considered it would be nice to spend winters in Florida when we retire like the US snowbirds. We would probably sell the Orlando villa and buy one in Sarasota, Clearwater or St Petes Beach as we would not need to be that near the parks. We really liked Naples but could not afford a similar villa there as it is so expensive.

Has anyone on this forum done this and what did they think of the reality?

Sue
[/quote]

I know of people on a different forum who snow bird from the UK to FL.......it seems to be working for them....half my street in the USA go to FL for the winter.....they all have second homes there......

Ray&Sarah
04-02-2005, 21:24
That is something we would definately consider Sue, wintering in Florida and then spending the other months here in the UK. Will have to wait and see in a few years time.[msnsmile]

Steve and Dawn
07-02-2005, 19:24
I agree with both Snapper and Chrizzy. I do think there are more opportunities in The US in general for people. You can do anything you want to if you are willing to learn and pay of course. A woman I have known for a few years at a ticket outlet has been going to night school for the last 2-3 yrs to study court reporting. She is due to graduate soon and She can work anywhere for a very good wage. She must be late forties early fifties. Yes I do beleive it is still the land of opportunity. Not so easy in this country is it?

Steve & Dawn

chrizzy100
07-02-2005, 20:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve and Dawn
I agree with both Snapper and Chrizzy. I do think there are more opportunities in The US in general for people. You can do anything you want to if you are willing to learn and pay of course. A woman I have known for a few years at a ticket outlet has been going to night school for the last 2-3 yrs to study court reporting. She is due to graduate soon and She can work anywhere for a very good wage. She must be late forties early fifties. Yes I do beleive it is still the land of opportunity. Not so easy in this country is it?

Steve & Dawn
[/quote]

You can pick yourself up easier in the USA...than England......you have to....you have in most cases nothing to fall back on.....my husband has lost his job in both countries.....its scary in the USA...so you don't stand around.....within a few weeks we had done up our home in MA to sell....gone to FL got a new home...ready to move to a place cheaper to live with more work....in England we have sat having our rent and everything paid for years before getting off our bums.....you can't do that here.....

Nostromo
07-02-2005, 20:36

[i]
You can pick yourself up easier in the USA...than England......you have to....you have in most cases nothing to fall back on.....my husband has lost his job in both countries.....its scary in the USA...so you don't stand around.....within a few weeks we had done up our home in MA to sell....gone to FL got a new home...ready to move to a place cheaper to live with more work....in England we have sat having our rent and everything paid for years before getting off our bums.....you can't do that here.....

That is precisely what stops me from trying to move to the US - nothing to fall back upon if things go wrong. In the UK, things may not look very rosy in the general nature of things, but there is always something or someone to reach out to in a crisis. Too often I have seen my relatives and/or friends in the USA being worried about being left out on a limb. I have known my NY friend (also a Dr) for 37 years and never envied his larger income for very good reasons. He is now going through hell for what I consider a trivial and unintentional professional misstep and at worst it could cost him his medical licence.

emtswife
08-02-2005, 19:08
I voted that I would be on the next plane, but realistically I don't think I would. My husband has family in Arkansas and does not want to leave them right now. My dream though is to win the lottery and buy a nice house there. I would love to be able to spend the winter in Florida. My husband is a paramedic, so (not to be mean) I think he might have job security there. We could live 6 months in Florida and 6 months in Arkansas. Oh wait! I forgot about the kids! Couldn't mess up their school year. Shoot! Now this stupid poll just got me all bummed out! LOL! To all of the villa owners out there....I am sooooo jealous of you! Maybe you could just let me house-sit for you for 6 months and I could leave the hubby and kids in Arkansas. I don't eat much and your guests would never even know I was there. I promise! It could work out for all of us! I wouldn't even have to charge you for my services. Any offers???

Ray&Sarah
08-02-2005, 21:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by emtswife
I voted that I would be on the next plane, but realistically I don't think I would. My husband has family in Arkansas and does not want to leave them right now. My dream though is to win the lottery and buy a nice house there. I would love to be able to spend the winter in Florida. My husband is a paramedic, so (not to be mean) I think he might have job security there. We could live 6 months in Florida and 6 months in Arkansas. Oh wait! I forgot about the kids! Couldn't mess up their school year. Shoot! Now this stupid poll just got me all bummed out! LOL! To all of the villa owners out there....I am sooooo jealous of you! Maybe you could just let me house-sit for you for 6 months and I could leave the hubby and kids in Arkansas. I don't eat much and your guests would never even know I was there. I promise! It could work out for all of us! I wouldn't even have to charge you for my services. Any offers???

Nice idea but I think the guests would notice.[msnwink][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Nostromo
08-02-2005, 21:28

Why don't you get your hubby to give up his job, move to Florida, buy your own villa and start a management company for others? With all those new villas coming up, there seems to be demand for those.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
08-02-2005, 21:41

Why don't you get your hubby to give up his job, move to Florida, buy your own villa and start a management company for others? With all those new villas coming up, there seems to be demand for those.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good idea Nostromo, wonder if I could talk my hubby into it too![msnwink]:D

emtswife
08-02-2005, 22:38
Actually, I was just thinking that a little vacation from the family would be the perfect solution. And I am sure the guests wouldn't mind. I could tell them that I was their long lost cousin. I could say that the owners had found me and planned one of those surprize reunions for them. Oh wait! Maybe I have been watching too much television again.

chrizzy100
08-02-2005, 22:45
The only thing that stops me from going to FL for the winter is not having a car down there.....now if all the people on holiday or with homes offer to take me shopping and out for the odd drink....I'll babysit ......:D:D:D

09-02-2005, 17:50
We have a friend who lives in Sarasota with her husband and two children, they moved 13 years ago, she has a managers job in a hospital, lately we have had some not so positive emails from her thats she said I can share with you....................

Yes, I am working too hard. I am seriously thinking of quitting and going to
live in the Caribbean and just putting the rat race behind me. All we seem
to do is work to pay the bills - the "living" in life is sort of
disappearing slowly but surely, and "existing" is taking over. Maybe I
should look at giving it all up and becoming a missionary to help those poor
people who are less fortunate than me, I don't need materialistic things,
just satisfaction with what I contribute to life.

So, my family thinks I am nuts, and they wouldn't want to come, but I am
very drawn to living at the water's edge and just "being". Know what I
mean?????

I keep wishing I could open my own business and work for just me, but I am
clueless really and don't want to do anything nurse-related anymore.

Yes, I am at the water's edge, almost. I just never seem to have the time to
actually see it or smell it. My fault probably, or maybe not enough hours in
the day. We used to go walking most evenings over the beautiful new
fixed-span bridge by the bay, and watch the sunset, as it is pretty steep
and is a good workout, but we haven't been able to find the time to do that
either in the evenings lately. That really did my soul good, it was so
beautiful.

[msnsad]

Nostromo
09-02-2005, 17:56
Actually, I was just thinking that a little vacation from the family would be the perfect solution. And I am sure the guests wouldn't mind. I could tell them that I was their long lost cousin. I could say that the owners had found me and planned one of those surprize reunions for them. Oh wait! Maybe I have been watching too much television again.[/quote]

Or maybe some old movies like "Shirley Valentine"? The weather in Florida may not be all that different from Greece, but I'm not sure of the other things ;);).

chrizzy100
09-02-2005, 18:11
We have a friend who lives in Sarasota with her husband and two children, they moved 13 years ago, she has a managers job in a hospital, lately we have had some not so positive emails from her thats she said I can share with you....................

Yes, I am working too hard. I am seriously thinking of quitting and going to
live in the Caribbean and just putting the rat race behind me. All we seem
to do is work to pay the bills - the "living" in life is sort of
disappearing slowly but surely, and "existing" is taking over. Maybe I
should look at giving it all up and becoming a missionary to help those poor
people who are less fortunate than me, I don't need materialistic things,
just satisfaction with what I contribute to life.

So, my family thinks I am nuts, and they wouldn't want to come, but I am
very drawn to living at the water's edge and just "being". Know what I
mean?????

I keep wishing I could open my own business and work for just me, but I am
clueless really and don't want to do anything nurse-related anymore.

Yes, I am at the water's edge, almost. I just never seem to have the time to
actually see it or smell it. My fault probably, or maybe not enough hours in
the day. We used to go walking most evenings over the beautiful new
fixed-span bridge by the bay, and watch the sunset, as it is pretty steep
and is a good workout, but we haven't been able to find the time to do that
either in the evenings lately. That really did my soul good, it was so
beautiful.

[msnsad]
[/quote]

We have the time to beach walk and never do it....that letter sure makes me think ...[msnsad]
We have never been beach people....and we have always lived by the sea...nearly in it a few times.....[msnscared][msnscared]

I'm a very fishing boats harbour life person.....and we have very few areas like that where I live....just miles and miles of clean sand and dunes....which is great if its your thing....once the snow clears maybe I should use our beaches more....her letter has really given me food for thought.....
I hope your friend starts to feel more up soon....I know nursing and hospital jobs can be very hard in the USA....my English friend was very unhappy going back into nursing over here.....but her husband wants bigger toys.....so she has to work to pay for them....not why she moved here.....[msnsad]

Thank you and thank her for sharing....

09-02-2005, 18:17
Thanks Chrizzy I will tell her [msnsmile]

worldpeace
09-02-2005, 23:41
i went for be on the next plane! having a home at least twice as big as mine here ,own pool,sunshine,better roads and a bit more sunshine that will do for me!:D

domster
18-02-2005, 00:46
WOULD HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT, BUT WOULD PROB DRIVE ME NUTS!!

DOM

pieman790
18-02-2005, 11:30
If i had enough bottle to pack in two decent jobs, take two young children away from their family/friends and take the plunge i would love to live there.
The Uk has it own good bits but i set myself a goal and that is to live abroad before i retire. If its not the US then it will be Spain

Fran19
01-03-2005, 16:00
I have voted that I would be on the next plane.

Nothing I would miss about UK apart from family and friends and in time maybe they would come over too. Wouldn't miss the TV 'cos too much to do over in the US to watch TV and nothing on over here (or possibly there too) worth watching! Weather here -v- weather there - no contest 'cos we like it hot. I suppose it could get to the point where you would welcome the cooler weather but would like the chance to find out. Fed up with drizzle!! Would love to sit in my hot tub or pool in the evening instead of inside in centrally heated home for many months of the year. Hope I get the chance one day!!

trevlad
01-03-2005, 16:26
me too!! - enough said[msnsmile2]

luckylady
01-03-2005, 16:57
Would I move to Florida yes I would, but I know we cannot so now I no longer think about it
I can stay for 6 months out of the year, when its cold and wet here.
Members of our family can come and visit, its also quieter in the park so we are not standing around all the time.
Then we can come home and spend time here in the Summer.
I have accepted this now and I am content.
I enjoy the time there and the time here
instead of wishing for something that will not happen now for us.
I am enjoying what I can have not thinking about what I can't

Barbara

Mick-H
30-03-2005, 23:17
Just got back this morning and if I win the lottery on Saturday we'll get a plane back on ASAP.

Solana
02-04-2005, 15:50
if i hade the chance i would be there in a shot!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

domster
04-04-2005, 21:43
I don't know if I could put up with it all the time. Although is great in shorter trips.

DOM

becbecs
06-04-2005, 15:52
Would move to Florida if had the opportunity, My eldest wants to go to College over there but I beleive the costs are allot higher than Universities in the UK. [V]

But yes if I won the Lottery [clap] I wouldn't think twice about it.

kokomo
09-04-2005, 14:42
Yes, we would love to live in Florida. My husband is coming up to retirement age within the next couple of years. Any advise on how to retire to Florida and what are the procedures. Any help would be appreciated.[msnsmile]

blott
09-04-2005, 14:57
Unfortunately, you can't retire to Florida on a permanent basis but you can make longer visits or multiple trips there. To live in Florida you'd need either to qualify for a visa or green card another way or purchase a business. You'll find lots more info here about it http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum_56.asp

gromit
09-04-2005, 23:25
We love the idea of moving to Florida, even if it was for a few years only. We have made lots of friends there from having our villa so making new friends and social life would not be a problem. We just don't have the skills that the American workforce are seeking - American air carriers are having their own problems and won't take a UK pilot!!!

For time being we just enjoy our villa a few times a year and dream on.....

esprit
10-04-2005, 07:51
Well I did it so no real point in voting. Though there are things which do bug you, you do work very hard and the rose coloured glasses do come off pretty quick, I dont wish to return to the UK, I have gotten to think of Florida as home now and I have to say my son loves it and wishes to be American. I have a beautiful home in a wonderful place and the weather is brilliant three quarters of the year. The one thing I hate is the insecurity of life on a visa, if I had a green card it would make such a difference. Some may say I am lucky to live here for a few years, but to make your home somewhere and then be sent back after years in some cases does worry one, particularly in view of the decreasing buying power of the dollar and ever increasing house prices in the UK.

kokomo
10-04-2005, 17:03
Thanks for the info blott [msnsmile2]

Janice

chrizzy100
10-04-2005, 20:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Well I did it so no real point in voting. Though there are things which do bug you, you do work very hard and the rose coloured glasses do come off pretty quick, I dont wish to return to the UK, I have gotten to think of Florida as home now and I have to say my son loves it and wishes to be American. I have a beautiful home in a wonderful place and the weather is brilliant three quarters of the year. The one thing I hate is the insecurity of life on a visa, if I had a green card it would make such a difference. Some may say I am lucky to live here for a few years, but to make your home somewhere and then be sent back after years in some cases does worry one, particularly in view of the decreasing buying power of the dollar and ever increasing house prices in the UK.

[/quote]

A friend of my husbands at work just came back shocked at the price of housing in FL......she sold her house here...and planned to move there.....but not now...she is looking at another State.....its not like she is short of money....but like most people in the USA who want to move on...they want to have some money left from the sell of their home.....not to have to put it all back into buying the next one.....

esprit
11-04-2005, 06:54
The prices are really starting to rise here, but nowhere near UK standards. Some of the natives are getting restless on this, there was an article in the paper the other day which stated that the buying power of the Brits was pushing the prices up and soon Floridians wouldnt be able to afford their own houses. True the ones they are living in have gone up also, I think they are thinking of first time buyers. But even so, with the decrease in the exchange rate, and the increase in house prices in the UK since we came here, no way would we be able to re-buy the house we left. Once you come to live here, failure is not an option.

chrizzy100
11-04-2005, 08:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
The prices are really starting to rise here, but nowhere near UK standards. Some of the natives are getting restless on this, there was an article in the paper the other day which stated that the buying power of the Brits was pushing the prices up and soon Floridians wouldnt be able to afford their own houses. True the ones they are living in have gone up also, I think they are thinking of first time buyers. But even so, with the decrease in the exchange rate, and the increase in house prices in the UK since we came here, no way would we be able to re-buy the house we left. Once you come to live here, failure is not an option.
[/quote]

We have no first time buyers on the Cape anyone....they are an unknown animal.......in the paper the other day they had a piece on kids leaving the Cape in their hundreds each year because they have nowhere to live.....most poor families live in motels......and soon we'll have no one to take the low paid jobs...a starter home here is around $289k....with the average wage being $15k a year $20k at most....not many people will have that sort of money....if my husband had lost his job now....we would not of given FL a second look.....we got our house in FL because it was half the price of the one we live in now.....if we had to have paid $200k or more for it..the point of moving which was to get a cheaper home loan and still have money in the bank would not have happened.....

Thorogoods
15-04-2005, 00:29
I would love to stay longer in Florida, but also I love coming home to the UK.

keith-jacqui
05-12-2005, 08:39
We got fed up with all the cold in the UK, so came out back in January, bought a business and still going, do miss the kids though, but they just came out.
Jacqui

Macka
05-12-2005, 11:54
Mrs Macka and I had a plan to move to the States for a long time, it was our dream. Now, we've changed our minds.

The weather is a huge attraction, it's a lot cheaper for many things but we thought objectively about it and decided that overall, all things considered, England is the best country in the world to live. There's lots of reasons, most of which have been covered here.

Although we're not too far behind, the American existance is still far too consumerist and commercial for us. We love Florida and really do like the Americans We've met but for us, England will always be home.[msnsmile2]

zazu
21-12-2005, 01:27
It is something we have thought about although we want to visit a couple more times yet. I am a nurse so getting over there is possible thanks to agencies who aort everythig out for you and provide spouse with green card too. DH is in the computer trade so getting work out there shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to wait a few years though until the kids are a little older as i will have to work full time if we go out there.

orlandodaze
30-12-2005, 05:36
No Florida is No 1 in my book for holidays but nothing would make me leave good old rip off Ireland warts and all . The prices for everything are crazy we are crucified with tax , most of us PAYE workers will never get rich but we have a terrific culture we have the craic and we know how to enjoy ourselves , and most of all we have the ability to laugh at ourselves .

Russ
30-12-2005, 20:01
Before I started going to Florida I use to say that I wanted to go and live in America and having visited Florida 3 times now I would definately move there if I had the chance.

I use to dream of living there when I was a kid and I guess anythings possible so maybe one day.

Limana68
29-01-2006, 01:25
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!<span style="color:blue"></span id="blue">

becbecs
29-01-2006, 20:10
Next plane for us if had the opportunity, no hesitation. Even the kids want to live in Florida

Paula D-S
06-03-2006, 02:05
No I wouldn't live in Florida. I would like to go more often maybe for longer periods but I love my country and wouldn't want to leave here on a permanent basis.

The Simpsons
02-05-2006, 00:14
We would jump at the chance, what scares me is all the hard work that has to be done. You read about all the people that has gone through with it and they all say it is definately worth it in the end!

gail and david roberts
02-05-2006, 01:53
I would Think about it
both our Parents are still around and are in there 70s
I couldn't imagine not living near my mum
the Kids would go on the next plane

MarkJan
02-05-2006, 10:37
Where can I sign up? :D Just go to persuade the missus.

wendyd
02-05-2006, 20:53
If we reach retirement age i would like to spend 3 months at a time in Florida but that would be enough for me.
We have family that are due to live in Florida in the next three months so we will see how they get on.
Wendy

andrewandcarole
02-05-2006, 21:04
My ideal would be to spend the winter in Florida and the summer here.

Well....I can dream!

Carole

davy woods
02-05-2006, 22:14
I would love to live in Florida but I would miss the football, sorry but sky plus just wouldn't be enough for me on the telly. I wouldn't try to live there though unless I had a lot of money behind me.
Dave

stabard
02-05-2006, 22:59
Although it is not in our plan to move to Florida if the oppotunity presented itself I think we would do it. In the "real" world for us the plan is to spend the winters there when the kids are off hand :D

russell148
02-05-2006, 23:28
Would move tommorrow if given the chance

Russell

britprincess
03-05-2006, 19:55
in a heartbeat if only it was that easy........lol[msnsmile]

christinehb
03-05-2006, 23:11
I voted "would miss family and friends too much But when we retire in a few years time, money and pensions willing - we hope to spend much more time out there.

Here's looking forward to never spending another January/ February in the UK

[msncool][msnwink][msnsmile2]
Christine

Sazere
10-07-2006, 13:51
What can I go, can I go now[8D]

I would be on the next plane![grin]

Sniff
10-07-2006, 16:09
Having lived outside the UK for quite some time now, I have no problem with that aspect of a move :)
But I wouldn't go to Florida. Colorado is a much better place to live in my opinion.

KJH
10-07-2006, 23:29
If I had a choice it would be eight months there 4 months here.

davidanddenise
17-09-2006, 16:28
Hi with regards to would you move to Florida, YES-YES-YES .we did live there in st pete back some 12 years ago,for 3 years as we purchased a buisness resturant and bar (big mistake)working 24/7 theiving staff etc but that is another storie,so we tried to sell the buisness which was still making a small profit but not enough to live the life we were used to.we never did sell and finaly just handed the keys back to the old owner and walked away with just 12000 pounds to our name as we were renting a condo then,and returned to the uk where we stayed for a further 8 years set up another buisness which did make us a lot of money which we then sold and moved to spain where we now live in a lovely 5 bed villa on a 10,000sq mtr plot,my wife loves it very much and it is a lovely place BUT,the USA is still and always will be in my heart and although we have now taken a very early retirement our villa is now on the market and if it sells then i would love to give Florida another go but not Orlando,there are so many other nice places to see and go to.Would i buy another buisness i guess if i HAD to but not one which had to be worked so hard just to enable us to get our E2 visa.

Cruella DeVilla
17-09-2006, 21:40
Still yes:D[msncool]

SDJ
18-09-2006, 03:20
Happy to visit 4/5 times a year for a month or more at a time. Would miss my grandchildren too much as we waited a long time for them!!

Sandra

luckylady
18-09-2006, 13:18
I love Florida ,in fact I love America but I love England too.
I want the best of both worlds, six months here for the summer, six months in America ,using Florida as my base.
Travel to all the States I haven't visited, and revisit the ones I have.
That is the ultimate for me [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Albert the Frog
18-09-2006, 18:19
We've been looking at moving out there but have had a number of thoughts that I'd value your opinion on-
1. We want to come and stay there for 3 months initially to get the romance out of out system and explore what life is like day to day
2. Getting a visa without buying a business seems to be a pain-particularly with 6 monthly renewals
3.Health care costs if we do become residents seem high for 50 somethings with no US Medical history.

From what I've seen I'm wondering whether it would be easier all round to snowbird and come for blocks of 3 months at a time--Any views?

chrizzy100
18-09-2006, 23:36
I would snowbird....rent a nice villa or condo in a different area each time.....I think its the best of both worlds....

Robert5988
18-09-2006, 23:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We've been looking at moving out there but have had a number of thoughts that I'd value your opinion on-
1. We want to come and stay there for 3 months initially to get the romance out of out system and explore what life is like day to day
2. Getting a visa without buying a business seems to be a pain-particularly with 6 monthly renewals
3.Health care costs if we do become residents seem high for 50 somethings with no US Medical history.

From what I've seen I'm wondering whether it would be easier all round to snowbird and come for blocks of 3 months at a time--Any views?[/quote]

As you say even if you wanted to live full time in Florida the cost of Medical Insurance would deter all but the super-rich.

I have a couple of friends(in their late 50's) who want to stay 3 months and they have huge problems(ie huge premiums) for any medical insurance for more than a 30 day visit.

Look at the small print of most(all?) policies - even the respected annual travel policies - and there is a restriction on trips over 30 days.
I wonder how all these retired people who get a B2 6 month visitors Visa get on with medical insurance? I suspect many of them don't look at the small print or just take a chance.

rosie
19-09-2006, 00:13
Robert, there are plenty of companies that will do insurance policies that last longer than the usual 31 days. A search on the web will list lots of them, but as with everything, check the small print and premiums as they vary a great deal. But they are out there [msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
19-09-2006, 00:40
My mum has year long travel Ins...my parents travel alot..we made double sure she was covered for a long stay in the US...

rszatkowski
28-10-2006, 18:06
As a previous Florida resident and knowing that most of you are from the UK, this topic interested me. I do know how many other countries view Americans (my good friend currently lives in Scotland, moved from London).

I was born in Michigan, moved to Florida as a child and then moved back here as a married adult with children. Some of the view expressed are not Americans so much as Flordians! My husband and I hated the continued fake-ness of Floridians. Although, Florida itself is like 5 different states depending where you are. We lived in South Florida (Ft Laud/Miami) where many of the South American's owned vacation homes. We also lived in Tallahasse, which is like living in the South and nothing like the rest of Florida. Orlando is different because every worships and reveres WDW and its economic impact. There are a few who dislike it but only because of the traffic it brings and the large number of people....most move there just because of WDW.

And the materialism? That's more of a Florida thing also. Many people move there because they love the concept of the sunny weather, palm trees, tanned bodies, beach life, etc....it's all visual. When we moved everyone asked us "How can you move from Floria to there were you're inside 6 months out of the year?" I explained that in S FL, you are indoors 6 months out of the year in the summer (although the weather is less temperate here, people are EXECSSIVELY more active outdoors than they ever were in Florida) and then asked when the last they went to the beach for fun. The soonest time I got was 2 years! These were from people I worked with and our offices looked out onto the Atlantic Ocean! I often met my friend from another local company and we walked to the Intercoastal and ate there...most people didn't even do that.

Yes, the stresses are DEFINITELY American. I don't understand why, but its bred into people it seems. It drives me insane to see people get all worked up over nothing and work ridiculous hours for the almighty dollar. Realistically, Florida does have a poor salary scale in comparison to their housing prices and since we have the materialism issue, people are attempting to buy way out of their price range instead of adjusting their standards.

Oh, and the ridiculous "news" on TV drives many of us Americans crazy also!

Just one American's view who no longer lives in Florida for a reason!! ALthough, I always tell people that it is definitely a great place to visit! You are almost always guarenteed sun (maybe mixed with rain) and hot weather. BUT, from someone who has lived there, you only have to board up your house for a hurricane a few times before it gets old (unless you LOVE the heat...which we dispised year round. We LOVE the seasons.)

BLessings,
Rene

orlandochris
06-01-2007, 18:56
I almost moved there 11 years ago when my dad was offered a job in Jacksonville. This was before we had been to Florida on holiday, so had no idea what it was like.

In the end, I'm glad we didn't go, because although it is a nice holiday destination, I think living there could make it less special.

wendyd
04-03-2007, 19:15
I love my holidays out in Florida but wouldn't want to live there permanently at this time in my life.
Wend

Ana
05-03-2007, 08:59
Well I must say that I am enjoying living in California, the kids have settled well in their schools and made friends easily. I think California is probably a better place for them whilst they are of school age - but when they are older I think we'll move to Florida [msnsmile2]

flyrr100
06-04-2008, 18:58
I live in Central Florida. I moved here because my company was here. It's okay. Florida is a third world state compared with the midwest, of the NE. There are better parts of Florida to live in. Jacksonville is by far the best kept secret in Florida. Nice neighborhoods. Great beaches. And, for the Disney lovers, a 2-3 hour drive from WDW. Also, better schools. Central Florida schools leave a lot to be desired.
My wife is from Montana. She misses it bitterly! We've spent some time there and it's just lovely. Not sure if I'd live there though.
The live in Florida/not live in Florida debate has been on here for a long time. If I had a choice? I'd relocate to The Carolinas or Virginia. But with the housing marked firmly down the toilet right now, I guess I'm stuck in paradise!

eagleydo
03-08-2008, 04:28
We would move tomorrow

speakle
03-08-2008, 21:42
We'd love to move to Florida. But anywhere in USA will be good. I've changed career and now I'm an HGV driver. This might mean I've got a chance in a few years of making it!

Although there's the current worldwide fuel crisis it's estimated that by 2012 there will be a shortfall of over 100,000 drivers in America.

chrizzy100
03-08-2008, 23:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by speakle
We'd love to move to Florida. But anywhere in USA will be good. I've changed career and now I'm an HGV driver. This might mean I've got a chance in a few years of making it!

Although there's the current worldwide fuel crisis it's estimated that by 2012 there will be a shortfall of over 100,000 drivers in America.
[/quote]

Can't say that would get you a visa...its too easy to learn to drive a big rig here...

Solana
04-08-2008, 02:56
Nice thought and hubbie and kids would go tomorrow but I would rather holiday there. Still too many friends and rellies here:(

roger
04-08-2008, 03:24
We did it, and love it here. We definately made the right choice.

canarypam
04-08-2008, 11:31
If only [msnsad]

chrizzy100
04-08-2008, 21:25
FL is nice..but the USA is a big place...different places are nice to live in at different times of your life...my biggest thing about the US is the weather...if it did not swing in most parts from way to hot to way to cold most of the Northern States would knock FL into a cockedhat...

florida4sun
04-08-2008, 21:36
I would move back today if we could and may well do at some time, I can at least see us doing the winter months each year in florida.

mfairhurst
09-01-2009, 06:03
We would move here today if only our goverment would give the Ok and bring our money here as it would go a lot further and not need as many clothes for winter .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Funshine
10-01-2009, 15:24
Ohhh wish we could move to Florida!! Love it; love it; love it !! [party1]

petermill
18-01-2009, 03:26
We would love to move to Florida, Could just see ourselves having breakfast by the pool before going to work! Ahhhhh[msncool]

ukman
23-01-2009, 19:20
For two countries, that keep going on about how close they are, why is it so hard for a brit to move to the US but so easy for an american to come here, why is it only the select few, the rich who can move there.

skippy
23-01-2009, 19:58
[quote]Originally posted by ukman
For two countries, that keep going on about how close they are, why is it so hard for a brit to move to the US but so easy for an american to come here, why is it only the select few, the rich who can move there.

HEAR HEAR I second everything you have said
Sue

Sniff
24-01-2009, 00:37
I'd move to FL, but not to Orlando. My company would let me move to Miami if I wanted but I suspect my wife would not agree to that :D

First choice would have to be Denver. I lived there for a few years in the mid/late 80s and it's by far the best place I have ever lived - although I do admit that being young free and single in those days probably helped [clap][beer]

Oceansplasher
24-01-2009, 10:41
I have previously lived in Wisconsin for a couple of years and my wife and I vacation in Florida every year Oct/Nov time.

We are both RGN nurses in NHS (:() and we often talk of relocating to USA or Canada. Not too sure where though. I think being too close to Orlando would take the excitement off the trips there, and as there is a definite snowbird/elderly population in Florida i'm sure there is plenty of work for us!! Only time will tell whether we go out there or just enjoy our holidays there.

Stuart

AnthonyO
28-01-2009, 17:43
I and my family would move tomorrow but the hasle of getting a via with work and then getting a green card dont give me any sence of security. We've looked into buying a business and the minimum required to invest to be a business entrepreneur is supposidily 500.000 USD.

If there was a risk free way...I'd book the flights.

Neil Swift
25-03-2009, 02:37
I WILL be retiring in Orlando and my wife and kids can like it or lump it although the wife wants to retire there as well.

My Dad always dreamed of living his twilight years abroad but sadly we lost him last year before his dream came into fruition.

chrizzy100
25-03-2009, 05:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ukman
[/quote]

Can't say we are rich...there are thousands and thousands of Brits in the US..

luckylady
25-03-2009, 15:30
I love American and I am more than happy to spend long periods of time there as we do.
But my home is here in the UK I have no desire to retire to Florida or anywhere else

The UK has it's faults in many areas and the weather is c**p most of the time..But my roots are here and in my opinion it is still one of the sanest counties in the world [msnsmile2]

letournerie
18-04-2009, 12:45
I voted "other" because I've already decided that when Í retire I definitely want to "move" there for a couple of months. Say from November until April.
We already moved from The Netherlands to France and I much prefer the climate here (it was no reason for us moving though) and I really detest wet and cold weather. We really cannot complain about the weather where we now live, but there is still room for improvement so in about 20 years time: Florida, here I come.
We'd still be renting though.

randyj
14-01-2010, 00:52
When I retire we plan on living in Florida for the Winters From Jan to April my wife would miss the kids to much, I would come down now longer periods but the kids are in school.

jimiansville
14-01-2010, 03:11
We love Florida and thought very seriously about making the move. Having spent a lot of time there over the years we have come to the conclusion that we really like the UK much more than we first thought! The main drawback from our viewpoint is the cost of adequate health insurance in the US and the lack of access to adequate care in your later years when you are in most need of it.

We absolutley love having a villa there and being able to spend lengthy periods enjoying the pool, sunshine and everything else it offers but that is enough for us.

Lyn
14-01-2010, 23:31
Having now retired I look forward to longer holidays, we are going to Florida for 30 nights at the end of January, then again for 33 nights at the end of October. In between we will try and pull in the odd week here and there either in Spain, Portugal or anywere else with a good late deal. I would never leave the UK as I think the NHS is best thing we have.

Andrena
15-01-2010, 01:58
We are retired and would love to have retired to Florida, but as someone else has said, the cost of health care is the problem.
We try to spend at least 3 months each year and that works for us.

Andrena

kateydoodles
08-04-2010, 23:45
I would love to in the future, but I have such an extensive family here, I'd really miss them! But it would be a fantastic place to live, and as I said, maybe someday :D I'd never say never anyway!

Kate

tony2000
09-06-2010, 00:57
I would love to spend the winter months in Florida
Tracy

Sniff
09-06-2010, 14:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by skippy

Originally posted by ukman

HEAR HEAR I second everything you have said
Sue

I don't believe it is that easy for a US citizen to move permanently to the UK. Unless you are getting married to a UK citizen, or your employer can justify relocating you, there are the same sorts of visa, qualification and financial hoops and loops to go through as when a UK citizen tries to relocate to the US.