PDA

View Full Version : Daytona

orlandobabe
14-02-2002, 23:10
About 60 miles up the I4 east, Daytona makes for a good day out.

Not my most favourite of places-but the big novelty is driving along the beach for a cost of $5.

I would like to go in May when the turtles come ashore to lay their eggs-on a protected part of the beach. Cars have to come off and drive round that conservation area.

Feb/March there is bike week and things really hot up then.

Unfortunately we never had time to visit the speedway-which looks phenomenal and apparently you can go grehound racing close by.

There is a nice mall-Volusia on the left as you come into Daytona. I made the biggest mistake of my life in Dillards for not buying a $300 comforter for $50! What on earth was I thinkingabout-just because my owner's cupboard was already full of new comforters!

There's some decisions you have to live with in life-and unfortunately-that one is mine!

Orlandobabe

carole7007
15-02-2002, 01:29
Orlandobabe

Not my most favourite of places either. We went in March it was murder !!! Probably picked the worst time to go knowing us.

Would not go back !!!

But may go that way just to go to the Mall. See if I can pick up a bargain !!! The one you left there maybe !!

Carole

Carole & Keith

markemma
20-02-2002, 16:43
We went to the speed way tour and race car mueseum quite an intresting 1/2 day,would love to go and see a race!
Mark

steph_goodrum
20-02-2002, 16:53
Mick and my brother went a couple of weeks ago to visit the track and were lucky there was a team testing there that day, so at least they got to see cars going round the track.

steph

rodders
28-02-2002, 01:02
Has anyone been to the Daytona Flea Market?
We have been and it really is massive. There are well over a thousand stalls. It takes almost a half a day to see everything.
The prices are very reasonable too and good bargains can be had. There is ample parking.

My wife Pat also liked the Mall and she got some really good bargains at Dillards when we were there last. Shucks!!! we missed that comforter!!!

Whilst it was fun to drive on the beach, as a beach holiday it is not worth it. There are other better beach resorts further south.

Rodders

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-03-2003, 14:09
If you were planning to wear your thong or g-string at Daytona, then be warned you could be arrested. According to yesterday's Daily Telegraph (UK) a local law has been passed with the full support of the residents banning not only thongs and g-strings but dental floss[?] not to mention body paint or substances that can be washed off the offending body parts. Anythng that is permissible must be opaque. the article went on to quote the Mayor who said that they were not trying to oput people off coming to Daytona though.

Looks like I will have to find another venue to sport my itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini in future then :D

Sarah

esprit
02-03-2003, 15:42
I love Daytona. It is the height of what I will call American Kitsch. Blokes with bandandas on Harleys, ladies without much on on Harleys ( no thongs now though!!!), people riding up and down the beach piled into every conceievable vehicle boom boxes blaring, quad bikes for hire, a real live pier with a chair lift up to it, shops selling junk souvenirs, junk food, junk everything. Cheap, cheerful and at weekend full of Americans having a day out. More crass than class, Blackpool than Eastbourne, but we go every year. I really like the Volusia Mall as well.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-03-2003, 20:48
Just browising the Orlando Sentinal on line and this weekend heralds the beginning of Bike Week you can catch the story on the front page.

www.orlandosentinal.com

there are a couple of good pics too.

Sarah