PDA

View Full Version : driving licence question

cliffcook
31-01-2005, 00:42
Hopefully just a simple question -I have just had a nightmare with my paper drivers license-it's in a right mess!!-I thing its been through the washing machine!!-I had to sellotape it back up and the writing is all ok so I'm hoping its good enough for car hire-I have not time to send off for the new photo drivers license as we are going in 10 day's time...Anybody know how strict they are with the state of licenses??
thanks cliff

caroline
31-01-2005, 01:27
I wouldn't like to chance it personally but some friends went out in October with a driving license in similar condition and managed to get Dollar to accept it, are you the only driver in your party?

benfilo
31-01-2005, 01:33
how about the DVLC have you contacted them perhaps they could fastrack one, I know they peplace them with a new plastic one for free. time is an issue but perhaps you can go in person.

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 11:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by benfilo
how about the DVLC have you contacted them perhaps they could fastrack one, I know they peplace them with a new plastic one for free. time is an issue but perhaps you can go in person.
[/quote]

I agree totally with Benfilo. You do not want to chance it in the USA; nothing can be a bigger letdown if you were stuck without a car! Speak to someone at DVLC, explain your predicament and I am sure they'll help you out. All the best.

steph_goodrum
31-01-2005, 12:38
You might have to pay for the photocard license. I know my husband and I thought about it (more to carry as a form of id than anything) but looked at the cost and decided not to bother, that was a couple of years ago though.
When our daughter passed her driving test in November the examiner took her provisional license and sent it off and she received the new one in just over a week so there is a chance you could get it back in time but would give them a ring first thing this morning to see.

Doug
31-01-2005, 13:56
Mine is in the same condition and has been for ages held together with tape and it was ok this Xmas. But if you do not get your car it would be a nightmare.

E. Cosgrove
31-01-2005, 14:45
My husband was stopped for speeding 2 weeks before we went away a couple of years ago. He had to send his license to the DVLA who would not enter into conversation re the urgency of it's return, merely said he would receive it back within 6 weeks. Needless to say we had to go away without it. All we had was the receipt that the police had given him when they took his license. He had no problems hiring a car although I was on "standby" to do the driving if necessary!!

benfilo
01-02-2005, 01:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
You might have to pay for the photocard license. I know my husband and I thought about it (more to carry as a form of id than anything) but looked at the cost and decided not to bother, that was a couple of years ago though.
When our daughter passed her driving test in November the examiner took her provisional license and sent it off and she received the new one in just over a week so there is a chance you could get it back in time but would give them a ring first thing this morning to see.
[/quote]

It's not a huge cost if you have to pay but when I replaced mine because it was falling apart, they sent my cheque back . this was a couple of years ago

tezz7628
01-02-2005, 02:49
international driving permit??

are they accepted anymore?

got one ages ago but the time factor is ok as you get it same day

blott
01-02-2005, 03:47
At one time only Budget accepted IDPs but certainly Dollar and Alamo didn't at that time (about 6 years ago when I couldn't find my licence!). You can ask...

bmwtouring
03-02-2005, 01:40
This will be too late for cliffcook, but my son sent his provisional away to be updated after passing his test (Jan) and the full licence was returned exactly one week later!!!
Well done DVLA