PDA

View Full Version : film

poohbear
31-01-2005, 00:01
i have quite a few films for my camera ..is it ok to take with me to florida. i am a bit worried about the x-rays when they go through security.

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 00:05
Almost all the security machines scanning luggage are "film safe". There are usually placards announcing this nearby, but if in doubt, you can ask the staff.

blott
31-01-2005, 00:16
Take them in your hand luggage and they should be fine. The x-rays they use on your cargo hold luggage are stronger and may affect them.

Ray&Sarah
31-01-2005, 00:17
We have taken camera films in our hand luggage lots of times in the past and have had no problems.[msnsmile2]

tezz7628
31-01-2005, 02:26
my camera accidently went in luggage, checked into the hold, last time having taken 4 pictures before i left

didnt use that roll any more and got it developed before coming home

the pictures were ok, of course wouldn't advocate doing it all the time

Snapper
31-01-2005, 03:06
The usual rule of thumb is that the hand-luggage scanners are OK but the hold (checked-in) luggage scanners can fog films. They use much stronger x-rays.

The hand-luggage scanners can affect faster films. If you have anything that's ISO 800 or faster this could be affected by the hand luggage scanners. It's worth asking security to hand check fast films, but they don't have to and can insist that they go through the scanners.

Another thing to remember is that if a film is scanned many times the effect of the x-rays builds up. One or two scans shouldn't be a problem, but the more times a film is scanned the more the x-rays will affect it.

ctgirlscout
31-01-2005, 03:26
I used to always just ask them to hand check any camera equipment.