PDA

View Full Version : smoking

daisy
30-01-2005, 21:51
hi just wanted to check ,my farther in law has mentioned that he would like to come out with us in june for wedding .i was just wondering is smoking banned in resturants and public places like other states ? he will be the only smoker so wanted to find out well in advance so might be able to encourage to give up ? many thanks.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-01-2005, 21:56
Yes it is. It's against the law in Florida to smoke in any public place, including restaurants [msnsmile]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daisy
hi just wanted to check ,my farther in law has mentioned that he would like to come out with us in june for wedding .i was just wondering is smoking banned in resturants and public places like other states ? he will be the only smoker so wanted to find out well in advance so might be able to encourage to give up ? many thanks.
[/quote]

blott
30-01-2005, 22:35
And, I think, within something like 20 feet or so from the entrance to one.

You also can't smoke in most villas, if that's where you'll be staying, but you can normally smoke on the pool deck but some owners don't allow that either.

chunkichik
30-01-2005, 22:44
not so sure about Disney now, but in 2002 there were designated smoking places in the parks, my brother is a smoker and forgot his lighter one day and as disney dont sell lighters, matches or anything to do with smoking, he had to politely ask anyone smoking if he could borrow theirs.

Anita

Genie
30-01-2005, 23:01
It is the same in all the parks now. Designated smoking areas and some of them are few and far between!

Nostromo
30-01-2005, 23:27
I heard that there is a move to make all the WDW parks totally non-smoking within a few years. Must be the result of the recent news about the effect of passive smoking on children. I hope that they do so soon.

LiesaAnna
30-01-2005, 23:39
me to! i hate those horrible things and am always concious of cigarettes and small kiddies! i often think theyre the right size for one in the eye!
BAN them!!!!

Cruella DeVilla
30-01-2005, 23:41
Weatherspoons has the right idea!

Nostromo
30-01-2005, 23:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
me to! i hate those horrible things and am always concious of cigarettes and small kiddies! i often think theyre the right size for one in the eye!
BAN them!!!!
[/quote]

Liesa, Zigaretten schaden meiner gesuntheit, ja? [beer]

Ray&Sarah
31-01-2005, 00:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Weatherspoons has the right idea!
[/quote]

Totally agree CDV, we have one in Gloucester, hope the non-smoking policy spreads to other places.[msnsmile2]

Daisy sounds like its a good time to encourage him to stop.[msnsmile2]

Tonish
31-01-2005, 03:49
Hi Daisy
America in general is exceptionally anti-smoking and the Parks are just the same. If he does use the smoking areas, he'll probably feel very self conscious and not a little pariah-like. I smoke small cigars and always find that it's just about impossible to smoke anywhere, save late at night in the yard all by myself. Not a smokers paradise at all. Having said that, I don't mind. It simply encourages me to smoke less and some day, hopefully, it will encourage me to stop altogether. If he's a heavy smoker, it'll be difficult for him.

Interestingly, I find it's the same with alcohol. One of the reasons why my wife prefers holidays in Europe is that we can linger at a restaurant over a bottle or two of wine and there are plenty of cafe/bars where you can watch the world go by over a couple of drinks. Never really found the right spot for this in Florida. (Possibly the Keys would be the right place). We often compromise by having one very lazy holiday in Europe lying on the beach, passing the time people-watching in the evenings over a few wines/beers, with me puffing cigars; followed the next year by a very active, every minute filled holiday in Orlando. Each has its attractions, althougb with four kids, for me Florida wins every time.

Tonish

WR1
31-01-2005, 12:24
They allow you to smoke at downtown disney just outside the pleasure lsland jazz company. You see alot of people smokeing cigars at night(walking around). Also at Citywalk at cigarz at citywalk next the cinema.

WR.

LiesaAnna
31-01-2005, 12:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
BAN them!!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nostromo its to early will have to ask me dad![msnwink]

cigarettes damage my health yes?

WR1
31-01-2005, 12:38
BAN them!!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do cigarettes damage my gesuntheit, yes?

WR.

WR1
31-01-2005, 12:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by WR1
BAN them!!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do cigarettes damage my gesuntheit, yes?

gesuntheit should be gesundheit and it means health

WR.

WR.

[/quote]

WR1
31-01-2005, 12:48
I take it your dad is German Liesa which part of germany?

WR.

LiesaAnna
31-01-2005, 12:50
yes i couldnt get the right spelling? thanks for the help WR1 [msnwink]

yes hes from Dusseldorf, never been back since the war, think apart from his family he wanted to forget! he has only met with a sister who lived here since 48, and a brother who visited once in the 80's
he doesnt understand german language very well,
we have tried tracing other family members as there were 12 children!

WR1
31-01-2005, 13:08
yes i couldnt get the right spelling? thanks for the help WR1 [msnwink]

yes hes from Dusseldorf, never been back since the war, think apart from his family he wanted to forget! he has only met with a sister who lived here since 48, and a brother who visited once in the 80's
he doesnt understand german language very well,
we have tried tracing other family members as there were 12 children!
[/quote]

I used to live close to Dusseldorf, Ich liebe Deutschland.

WR.

LiesaAnna
31-01-2005, 13:12
wish i could say the same, have never been there, but would like to!
my bro goes there about 6 times a year and my sister taken up German classes!
CDV was gonna take some photos for me but she a busy person i think!

WR1
31-01-2005, 13:25
I took my wife to Hamburg she loved it.

WR.

Newhomebuyer
31-01-2005, 13:34
Tonish,I think that several of the restaurants in Celebration are great places to linger over a bottle of wine and people watch in the evening, no cigarettes though

Cruella DeVilla
31-01-2005, 14:12
wish i could say the same, have never been there, but would like to!
my bro goes there about 6 times a year and my sister taken up German classes!
CDV was gonna take some photos for me but she a busy person i think!
[/quote]

I have got some, just have to find the patience to shrink them for on here, on second thoughts if you give me your email, I'll email them.
Going up there agian this weekend so might try and get you somemore.

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 14:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by WR1

[i]I used to live close to Dusseldorf, Ich liebe Deutschland.
WR.

Ich liebe Duetchland too! Ich habe quite a few Deutch freunden und freundinen.

LiesaAnna
31-01-2005, 14:34
Nostromo! i'm stuck!
its good fun! wish i had learnt German properly years ago, all the kids at school were doing German, but me who wanted to wasnt allowed! mustve been a right thicko!
i tried to teach myself from 'hugos German' book when i was a kid!

sorry gone right off topic here![msnembarrased]

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 14:43
Nostromo! i'm stuck!
its good fun! wish i had learnt German properly years ago, all the kids at school were doing German, but me who wanted to wasnt allowed! mustve been a right thicko!
i tried to teach myself from 'hugos German' book when i was a kid!

sorry gone right off topic here![msnembarrased]
[/quote]

Don't worry, Liesa I was kidding too. I learnt a bit of German before joining medical school and the memory still lingers. I do have quite a few German friends and occasionally try a few words on them, much to their amusement. The probably think I am a right dummkopf.

Homer
31-01-2005, 15:22
I used my first trip to Florida as an excuse to give up knowing the rules and regs thought it would help

Had a smoke in the car park at 7.30Am 16/9/03 before we went to Florida

Flight was a bit tough but once through that it was pretty much a breeze

And not had one since 16 months and114 days not that I am counting!!!

No Patches
No Gum
No Tantrums (Except one in Wallmart!!!)

Just plain old will power ;) (he said smugly!!)

Nostromo
31-01-2005, 15:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Homer
No Patches
No Gum

[/quote]

One can definitely do it by will power alone, though it will not be easy. 10 years ago, I was a GP in Syston, Leicestershire when a 40-cigarettes a day electrician walked in with a chest infection. Amongst other things, I gave him a lecture about the ill-effects of smoking. He took it seriously, decided to give-up and went from 40 to zero in just over a fortnight - and has remained that way ever since.

E. Cosgrove
31-01-2005, 15:53
Well done Homer, I wish I had that sort of willpower for the diet, maybe I need to join the OV slimming club!!![msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Homer
I used my first trip to Florida as an excuse to give up knowing the rules and regs thought it would help

Had a smoke in the car park at 7.30Am 16/9/03 before we went to Florida

Flight was a bit tough but once through that it was pretty much a breeze

And not had one since 16 months and114 days not that I am counting!!!

No Patches
No Gum

[/quote]

LiesaAnna
31-01-2005, 17:12
I did 30-40 over night! just by willpower and i so loved my fags! (oh how common) i started smoking at 11 years of age to 24, had 3 kids when i smoked and 3 when i didnt, the birth weights got heavier!
like i said b4 smell the fresh air, then smell your clothes or fabrics around you! and if you dont want to smoke then DONT!!!

my dad said many years ago 'i'm going to give up after your engagment party' he did and never touched one since! that was sept 29th 1979

Ray&Sarah
31-01-2005, 21:07
Both my parents just stopped over night too, my Dad was a 40 or more a day smoker, something must have frightened him into it but it was the best thing he ever did. My mum decided to follow suit so as not to tempt him adn she has never smoked since either.[msnsmile2]

daisy
31-01-2005, 23:24
thankyou for all the responses, will be passing on the info to him. i will try to encourage him to give us as he wont be able to smoke in the villa either.wonder how the news will go down ? you can see him twitching when hes at our house neaver stays more than 20 mins as i wont let anyone smoke in my house ! this will be interesting ! will keep you all updated.
just to add i remember my dad being porly with a chest infection when i was about 9 he smoked at least 60 a day ! he gave up just like that no help just will power and hes neaver had one since and very proud of him.[msnsmile2]

heathercobbett
31-01-2005, 23:59
Smokers are becoming fewer in America every year. In England,however,there are more smokers than ever.This is due th the rise in young female smokers.
So all the knowledge,all the teachind has not made any difference to the young
When

daisy
01-02-2005, 00:08
have to agree with you heather its the school age children that we need to target most

LiesaAnna
01-02-2005, 03:07
i threatened my kids (not in a violent way!) i am against smoking so much! that i really tell them off and tell them if i find theyve been smoking and i will find out they would be grounded for a month!!!!
am always saying if you smoke you will NEVER have any money, or any nice things, and your health! well they know what happens there!!

(my mum had breast cancer and she never smoked) only 1 out of my 6 kids smokes! and hes always been a little s, and done things he shouldnt!

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 03:11
have to agree with you heather its the school age children that we need to target most

[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is true. There is this ridiculous trend among teenagers that smoking is "cool". I suppose that fact that their parents, teachers or similar others object to it makes it all the more desirable.[V][V]

Carla
01-02-2005, 07:34
My sentiments exactly Nostromo. The best way to ensure that many teenagers do something, is to cover it with disapproval and lecture about how bad/wrong it is for them.

If only those over 30 would just stop beating the anti-smoking drum, then there'd be a lot less kids actually smoking as a means of rebellion, because it wouldn't then be 'cool'.

There are anti-smoking laws everywhere now, and yet we have more under 25s smoking than in my generation when there were no restrictions.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is true. There is this ridiculous trend among teenagers that smoking is "cool". I suppose that fact that their parents, teachers or similar others object to it makes it all the more desirable.[V][V]
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
01-02-2005, 13:43
Our elder son is a keen sportsman, needs his lungs to be at there best for swimming, this has been his deterent as he wants to stay fit and healthy to compete. He think it is a disgusting habit, hope this is the way he always feels.[msnsmile]

Nostromo
01-02-2005, 14:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
Our elder son is a keen sportsman, needs his lungs to be at there best for swimming, this has been his deterent as he wants to stay fit and healthy to compete. He think it is a disgusting habit, hope this is the way he always feels.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

My complimemnts to your sensible son. I wish more youngsters felt the same way. I agree that it is a disgusting habit. What makes it worse is that many smokers refuse to acknowledge how annoying the smell can be to non-smokers forced to interact with them. I hope they take note of the recent news clips about the ill-effects of passive smoking.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-02-2005, 15:57
Just moved this to the Off Topic section.

LiesaAnna
01-02-2005, 16:15
doh!! didnt notice! nice one boss![msnwink]

Nostromo
02-02-2005, 16:01
[/quote]

Just to illustrate this point of the kind of society that we now live in, I just saw a 14 year old girl with problems related to her smoking, alcohol use etc. She has already been to the BPAS once and the worst part of it was that her father, who accompanied her, was not in the least concerned. When I pointed out the illegality of a minor being allowed to go out and drink alcohol, he looked at me as though I had grown a second head and said shruggingly "Happens all the time doc" :(:([V][V]

02-02-2005, 18:20
My youngest is a carrier of an enzyme diff called alfa 1 antitripsin (dont know if thats the correct spelling) we have been told it wont affect her if she is kept away from smokers and if she never smokes, Nostromo will know about this condition - this has affected the older children as they too could all be carriers hence all of our older children are very anti smoking.

Nostromo
02-02-2005, 19:45
Lucy, it is true that people with Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency have an inherited susceptibility to respiratory and liver problems. here is a useful thread.

http://www.lung.ca/diseases/alph1.html

02-02-2005, 23:08
Lucy, it is true that people with Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency have an inherited susceptibility to respiratory and liver problems. here is a useful thread.

http://www.lung.ca/diseases/alph1.html

[/quote]

Thanks Nostromo:)