PDA

View Full Version : O.V. quit smoking club

Rhosyn
30-01-2005, 08:49
After too many years to count I have decided to give up smoking so from tomorrow I will be a non smoker, Just going to take it one day at a time. I have worked it that I could have an extra trip to florida with the money I save. Has anyone on the forum given up latley.

MaggieAllan
30-01-2005, 10:25
Good on yer...are you using anything like patches etc?

Could do with joining you on this one....an extra trip to Florida is a good incentive..are you going to put the money to onw side each week to see it grow?

Rhosyn
30-01-2005, 10:44
Anyone can join. I bought two boxes of patches from boots two weeks ago so have been planning this for a while,They have an offer on buy one box get the other half price, panic is starting to kick in but I am determined to do it this time, I sat down and worked out how much I spend it was quite frightening so an extra trip will be my reward and a healthier me. It is not going to be easy as I have smoked for more than 30 years. I am going to open a separate account and make the trip each saturday to put the money I have saved in. :):)

Nostromo
30-01-2005, 12:10
Most GP Surgeries now do a "Smoke-Stop Clinic" that is usually led by a trained nurse with feedback from the Drs as necessary. The advantage with these is that the treatment programme is optimised to the individual patient's needs and the patches (or other devices) are given on prescription, making them more cost effective to the user.

Worth checking out for anyone serious about giving up smoking.:)

KJH
30-01-2005, 12:42
So glad to hear you are both giving up, my dad died of lung cancer, it was awful. So if that doesn't make you give up.....I don't smoke but am behind you all the way![clap]

Kaz

poohbear
30-01-2005, 13:01
i gave up smoking the end of july after smoking for 33 years, i did not think i would be able to do it , i thought oh no what will i do after i have eaten or with a drink ,or what will i do in a stressful situation !!but i did it i now am proud to say i am a non smoker.
i bought some patches (supposed to use them for 10 weeks )i used them for 2 weeks and i have never looked back.
i can taste my food now and i can breath easier.and when i stand near somebody who smokes the smell is absolutely revolting.(just think that used to be me..
or you could do what my brother has done. he paid to see a hypnotist and that has worked for him after 28 years of smoking.
good luck to all who are going to give up.. and you can do it.......

melvazquez
30-01-2005, 15:06
Not a smoker myself but good luck to you Rose and all who join you.

mel

chunkichik
30-01-2005, 15:11
I am not a smoker either, but my Sis in law has just gone back on the patches and is doing really well!!!!!!!! She sees the nurse at her doctor's surgery and this week she got 3 weeks of patches for one prescription.

Good luck Rose!!! thats a brilliant idea of going to the bank every Saturday to put that money in, I can't think of a better incentive than a trip to Florida[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

If you feel like a cigarette, come on here and chat, we'll all help you i'm sure.

Anita

Rhosyn
30-01-2005, 17:29
thank you all for your support I am sure this time I will make it. Will keep you all posted, Hubby and I are off to florida at Easter for a week to sort some thing out so will treat myself to a few extra things.

LiesaAnna
30-01-2005, 18:34
you can do it!! i gave up 20 years ago just like that! the way i did it to go around and sniff yes sniff all my material things ie, the curtains, the cushions the furniture, anything where smells cling to! and smell really smell it, fags fags and more fags! yuk!!!!! after a while you will notice that it stinks!!! and everyone one around you that smokes stinks! i drove my hubby mad! everything was so smelly! i would come down in the morning and draw the smelly curtains, i didnt wash things straight away, people would still come in my home and smoke, in the end i couldnt stand it and had to ask them to stop smoking! they laughed and still did it, till the last pregnancy, when we had a couple of scares and i nearly lost my baby, then was told she may have downs! we decided enough was enough! NO SMOKING signs went up and we stuck to it! my baby was so precious no one was risking her life cos they needed a fag! thay went out the back for a smoke and still do to this day

go sniff your curtains 3 days after you last have one! then tell me what you smell!

i have had many sad things happen in my life, but the first that happened 11 years ago i started smoking! but i couldnt cos it was foul! i tried but did it cos i was so upset, after 2 weeks didnt do it again, but there have been times when i fancy a cup of tea and a cigerette i cant bring myself to!!! it stinks! the taste in my mouth...yuk ... the smell on my clothes and body... yuk... i can smell when someone passing the house smoking and the pavement is 15 yards or so from the door! caught the kids out when they said they werent smoking! only 1 out of 6 does it

sorry! but do it for you!! you can and you will!!! we will support any of you!!!![clap][clap]

30-01-2005, 21:47
I have never tried it and I am very anti - my Mum had a near fatal heart attack due to smoking clogging all the viens and arteries she only survived because she had the attack in A & E on her way to work in the scan dept! They got the clot buster drug into her very quickly but if she had had it anywhere else she would not have made it! She gave up there and then obviously!

So good luck to all those trying to quit!

chunkichik
30-01-2005, 21:49
You're right Liesa, I can't stand the smell either, none of us smoke in my house but whenever I go to my Mums or MIL's where there are smokers, I can smell it in my hair and on my clothes YUK!!!!!

Rhosyn
01-02-2005, 01:44
Have just got throught the first day as a non smoker was not easy but I have made it.[clap][clap]

MaggieAllan
01-02-2005, 11:55
Well done Rose...keep posting your success story

LiesaAnna
01-02-2005, 12:20
[clap][clap] well done Rose!!![clap][clap] day 2, smell the curtains!!!!

Newhomebuyer
01-02-2005, 13:24
Well done Rose. We are with you on this. [clap]

poohbear
01-02-2005, 13:24
well done it will get easier.[clap][clap][clap][clap][beer]

Sally D
01-02-2005, 13:33
Well done[clap][clap][clap]
Don't give up giving up.

benfilo
02-02-2005, 02:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lal
I have never tried it and I am very anti - my Mum had a near fatal heart attack due to smoking clogging all the viens and arteries she only survived because she had the attack in A & E on her way to work in the scan dept! They got the clot buster drug into her very quickly but if she had had it anywhere else she would not have made it! She gave up there and then obviously!

So good luck to all those trying to quit!
[/quote]

similar for me, I've never smoked but my mother has for years. She's had 2 strokes and still won't quit, she had her firt one about 6 years ago she's 76 now and can only walk a couple of yards at a time.
Her brother on the other hand is 87(a non smoker) even though he did have a heart attack about 4 years ago, he's over it and quite mobile.
good luck Rhosyn and everone else that joins your quitting club[clap]

Rhosyn
02-02-2005, 11:26
This will be my third day as a non smoker still going strong who said it would get easier. [msnsad] I will not give in.:)

Ray&Sarah
02-02-2005, 12:16
Well done Rose, keep it up, you can do it.[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
02-02-2005, 21:24
well done Rose!!![clap][clap]

have you sniffed the fabrics around you?
do it! and convince yourself its disgusting!!!!!!!![msnwink]
you can do it, we're all behind you, remember if your fingers are itching then come in here theres always someone to chat to!!![msnwink]
good on you so far!!!

Rhosyn
03-02-2005, 01:25
thanks for the support still going strong first week must be the hardest. But just thinking of that extra trip to Florida.

LiesaAnna
03-02-2005, 11:32
well done!!! keep going!!![clap][clap][clap][clap]

MaggieAllan
03-02-2005, 11:53
Rose... you're doing so well!!!and don't forget, inspiring others as well!!!![msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
05-02-2005, 13:10
come on Rose,
we need to know how your doing?
hope you havent picked them up!!!????[msnwink]

Rhosyn
05-02-2005, 15:37
Liesa
No, I have not had a cigarette since giving up, this is my worst day so far but I will not have one, even if it is the big match later Wales v England. Just put my first £35 in my florida account so its a start. Sorry I have not put my progress on the thread thought you might all get a bit fed up. Will post more often. Thank for the support everyone.

LiesaAnna
05-02-2005, 15:51
well done am very proud of you but have you sniffed the fabrics!!!!![laugh]

yes you must keep us posted and we will not get bored, perhaps you can tell others how youve been spending your time, trying not to think about them!! well done!!!!

Rhosyn
08-02-2005, 00:19
Well, it been a week without a cigarette, it has not been the easiest week but I have made it sounds so silly a small white stick ruling your life but that's the way it is well until now. Here's to another week
:):):):):):):):):)here's to me[beer][beer][drinkbeer]

LiesaAnna
08-02-2005, 00:25
well done pat yourself on your back!!!
the worst is over!!!
if you can do 1 week you can do 2 and 3...4.... and so on!!![clap][clap][clap]

Ray&Sarah
08-02-2005, 00:37
Well done Rose, brilliant news that you have made it to a week without a cigarette, keep going you'll soon have enough for a trip to Florida.[clap][clap][clap][msnsmile2]

Rhosyn
08-02-2005, 00:51
Thanks to all the help I have had on the forum a big[clap][clap][clap]to you all. If we are in florida together I will owe you all a [drinkbeer]Diolch

LiesaAnna
08-02-2005, 11:31
just dont stop giving up now!!!!!!! you will start to notice the effects soon, fill your lungs with fresh air!!!! and of course the monye saved will be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep going!!!!!!! well done!!!!

but would you tell us if you gave in and had one???????

orlandobabe
10-02-2005, 07:18
I'm totally anti smoking.

Always have been.

My husband doesn't smoke either-but both our parents did. My in laws both smoked capstan full strength-and both paid the price dying horrible deaths from lung cancer.

My mum gave up about 25 years ago-and my did gave up cigarettes but would smoke a cigar when out. Doctors related his fatal heart attack to having been a smoker. He was a youthful looking 70 when he died.

So-there's only my mum left at 76.

One of my three children smokes. He keeps giving up-but the stress in his life-keeps leading him back to the weed-despite the awful deaths of his grandparents.

Keep going and keep up the good work-your body will thank you when you reach old age.

Having been hospitalised with pneumonia when I was 29 -I was so relieved I had never smoked-the pain was bad enough without that.

To see grown men having to ask the nurse for a bed pan as they couldn't walk because smoking had damaged their lungs-was quite frankly-totally sickening-and what did they do as soon as they got to the day room-lit up a fag!

Rhosyn
14-02-2005, 12:17
two weeks now and I am doing well, eating and drinking a bit more so when this topic is over I will be joining the slimming thread. I have saved over £50 so am a little closer to having an extra holiday[clap][clap][clap]

petenamy
14-02-2005, 12:38
Well done to all who are giving up this nasty habit, that takes all too much from your wealth and health[V]. We both gave up ourselves 15 months ago and have never looked back[clap][clap].

Keep up the excellent work.

Nostromo
14-02-2005, 13:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rhosyn
I have saved over £50 so am a little closer to having an extra holiday[clap][clap][clap]
[/quote]

I always tell my patients that they can have a holiday from the money saved by stopping smoking. If a 20-a-day smoker quits, he/she can save enough in 1 year to pay for most expenses for 1 person on a trip to Orlando!

LiesaAnna
14-02-2005, 13:43
well done, am very proud of you!!!!!!
[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

Ann
14-02-2005, 15:29
rose well done you
i am a smoker and am reading your progress with encouragement did the patches help ?? i am starting to think about it now but not quite ready to take the plunge
did once before for 1 week but wanted to kill my poor husband by the end of it
i could take the whole family to Fl on what i would save so all help gratefully received while i think about quitting
grand parents died of lung cancer mother died of emphasima (cant spell ) father had throat cancer all smokers all died young but im afraid im like evey other smoker who thinks it wont be me and none of these things put me off ( i am ashamed to say but im honest )
terrible i now but that is how you think for all you non smokers here the reasoning behind a smoker
it wont hapen to me ( i know this is not true )
its the only pleasure i have ( i also know its not a pleasure its an addiction )
and so on and so on
but at least this thread has got me thinking about it for the first time in a long time so rose i am following and suporting you with great interest [^]

LiesaAnna
14-02-2005, 18:15
do whats right for you!!! its obviously playing on your mind!

also well done Pete and Amy!!! good luck all of you that give this horrid weed up!!!! been there done that!!!![clap][clap][clap]

chunkichik
14-02-2005, 19:28
Well done Rose, you are doing so well.

To anyone else who is thinking of giving up, my Mum had a stroke that was related to her smoking in 1997, it was horrifying watching her hooked up to all sorts of tubes and monitors, and she lost her speech completely to begin with.

She made a slow but unfortunately not full recovery, she is speaking now but gets a lot of her words mixed up and cannot read her beloved books anymore as she finds it difficult to concentrate. She was always a very chatty person, especially on the phone and would phone me everynight for at least an hour!!!! She is not very confident on the phone now, so I miss those chats, and she has never really been the same since and I really miss that.

She is now addicted to Polo mints and has to have 2 false teeth!! she was not impressed, but better that than lung cancer we tell her[msnsmile2]

Rhosyn
14-02-2005, 20:02
Hi Ann
Yes the patches are helping this is the third time I have tried and have made it to 14 days, No it is not easy but I want that extra holiday to florida. I know how you feel yes I am having mood swings but it is getting better. I go to town on a Saturday and put the money I would have spent into my saving account It is growing I have saved £50 that is after buying the patches. Only you can take the plunge I planned it three weeks before I gave up. I am proud of myself Wales winning all their rugby matches is helping. grand slam here we come. Yes my number one sport. good luck Ann if you want a chat DM me.
Thanks to everyone I will post next week to let you all know Yes it will be 21 day then.[clap][clap][clap][clap]
Rose

Ann
15-02-2005, 01:48
thanks for that rose
im off to florida in a couple of weeks so before i go i will make a date for stopping that gives me time to think of all the reasons why i should do it
keep going rose you are now my inspiration

Rhosyn
15-02-2005, 01:55
don't give up before you go it will be too much and you will not enjoy your holiday. Have a great time.

Rhosyn
21-02-2005, 22:34
its been three weeks today I feel great and only think of the white sticks once or twice in a day, I am still using the patches but do forget to put one on now and again. The big test will come on Saturday when I am watching the rugby with a group of friends still if I pass this test and yes I will there is no going back. I will then be a none smoker.
Thank you for all your help [clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]
Rose

LiesaAnna
21-02-2005, 23:39
well done Rose, you've already passed the test!!! you are a Non Smoker!!!!!!!
am so pleased for you!!!![clap][clap][clap][clap]

Rhosyn
21-02-2005, 23:54
Thanks Liesa I do feel good and proud of myself.

janice
22-02-2005, 02:45
I decided to stop smoking in October '04, without any help, just as my Mam was taken into hospital. A blessing in disguise as I was then able to sit with her, all day every day, without leaving her to go and have a ciggy. She passed away 3 weeks ago and if I ever needed a smoke it was then, but I refrained and am still a non-smoker. So I am patting myself on the back, thank you [msnwink].

Ray&Sarah
22-02-2005, 02:48
Well done Rose, three weeks is brilliant, keep going.[grouphug]

LiesaAnna
22-02-2005, 03:28
jan am so sorry to hear that, but am so glad your still not smoking!!!!!! horrid things!!!!!!!

Rhosyn
07-03-2005, 11:21
5 weeks today and still not smoking, It has been hard and still is at times but here is to a future without the white sticks.[clap][clap][clap][clap]

LiesaAnna
07-03-2005, 11:39
well done, have been wondering about this, but didnt want to appear to nag?
good on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well done[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
07-03-2005, 12:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rhosyn
5 weeks today and still not smoking, It has been hard and still is at times but here is to a future without the white sticks.[clap][clap][clap][clap]
[/quote]

Brilliant news Rhosyn, well done.[clap][clap][clap]

ellie
07-03-2005, 16:48
Well done Rose! It must be SO hard to do, but with the prospect of another trip to Orlando with all the money saved I am sure that will help keep you on the 'straight and narrow'.

I must admit I cannot bear the smell of stale smoke on clothes, furniture etc - that would be enough to put me off smoking, without all the health risks.

Keep it up, and if you falter, you know you can come on the forum and there will be someone there to cheer you on!

Very well done Liesa and Poohbear, too! If Rose needs inspiration she only has to read your stories.

Good luck.[clap]

julieanne
07-03-2005, 17:14
Well done Rose [clap] [clap]

chunkichik
07-03-2005, 23:30
Well done Rose!!!!!!!

Have you sniffed your curtains yet??? (Big tip of Liesa's earlier on)

On another note, can you not get your patches on prescription? My sister in law uses these and gets 3 weeks supply for the price of a prescription, I believe they are about £20 per pack to buy outright but could be wrong?

Keep it up!!, thinking of you[msnsmile2]

Rhosyn
08-03-2005, 00:49
Yes, you can get them on prescription, but I have only bought 2 weeks as I kept forgetting to change them until they fell off after a shower. I have not used them now for 3 weeks. I have sniffed my curtains but have also washed them since giving up. I feel proud of myself but do have a few pangs when I feel like giving in but I won't not now thinking of my extra holiday in Florida. A big thank you to all the support I have had from the forum[clap][clap][clap][clap]If any of you are in Orlando the same time as me I will buy you a [drinkbeer] or 2
Thank you all

Ray&Sarah
08-03-2005, 02:00
You keep going Rose and you will soon have enough for that trip to Orlando.[msnsmile2]

ellie
08-03-2005, 02:37
Don't give up Rose, just think of all that lovely shopping you will be able to do as well![clap]

nikkikl
10-03-2005, 21:29
How are you getting on Rhosyn? I am on my last packet of fags before I give up...again. gave up a year ago for 3 months and then stupidly started smoking again [V] for no particular reason. Be aware that the overwhelming urges can catch you out big time and just one drag and your hooked again. Don't come off the patches too early - I think that was one of my mistakes anyway. Keep at it though, you are certainly over the worst of it!

Ann - I can highly recommend the Stop Smoking clinics if you want to stop. I went to one before and it was fantastic. The only problem is they don't go on for long enough AFTER you have given up so the support that is vital dries up a little bit. I don't know what it is about the clinics, I'm not one for the whole group therapy thing, but it really really works when you give up with a whole bunch of people, even though they are strangers. You can have one-to-one sessions too but the group therapy is brilliant and its actually a good laugh and comforting to hear that the others are climbing the walls too!!! I can't go to the classes this time because I have no childcare as hubby works till 8pm but I would be back there like a shot if it were possible.

My plan is to give up when I have finished this packet which will be tonight, straight onto top strength patches and by the time we get to Florida I will be over the worst part of stopping.

One other thing you can do Rhosyn is search the net for what chemicals are in fags - its a VERY frightening read! There are over 4000 chemicals and personally I found that much worse than the thought of lung cancer - and my mum died of lung cancer. Smokers all live in denial as far as the Big C is concerned so that thought has little real effect.

Last tip - drink fresh orange juice or loads of water - it takes away the craving for some odd reason. Maybe because having a fag after drinking orange juice or water is bl**dy awful.

Hope all is ok Rhosyn [clap][clap]

Nikki

Rhosyn
10-03-2005, 22:45
Hi Nikki
I must admit I am finding it harder now that I was for the first two weeks don't know why. I am determined not to go back as I have been this road before and was disappointed in myself. Good luck Nikki I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Put the patch on tonight and you will be ready for tomorrow lots of water You can do it[clap][clap][clap][clap]