PDA

View Full Version : On the way to Orlando!

Nostromo
29-01-2005, 14:57
What is the most likely activity that you are likely to indulge in on the outbound flight from a UK airport to Orlando?

blott
29-01-2005, 15:00
Oh, all the above and some more... it is a long flight! [zzz]

Sally D
29-01-2005, 15:07
All apart from play computer games, I try to sleep but it just doesn't happen.[msnsad]

Nostromo
29-01-2005, 15:32
I have almost mastered the art of sleeping through a flight. Nothing like a good kip to perk your spirits up for the adventures ahead! [zzz][zzz][zzz]

christhear
29-01-2005, 15:36
I would like to have ticked try to sleep, but its impossible with my son. So opted for watch a movie

pubmaster2k
29-01-2005, 16:08
I usually watch a movie and fall asleep before the end and then get woken upby the stewardess to have a meal that i never eat,so then i read my book to wait for the film to start again etc etc etc.
cheers

Epic
29-01-2005, 16:17
There should be an all of the above choice as its a long flight and i find myself doing all of them[msnsmile2]

caroline
29-01-2005, 16:43
All of the above + enjoy a glass or two of champagne, I know, I know lots of fluids and no alcohol - in my defense I probably drink about a galoon of water too;)

chunkichik
29-01-2005, 16:44
I find it very hard to concentrate on a book, its amazing how noisy the plane can be!!!!

Even watching a movie is quite hard, I try to concentrate as otherwise it can be very boring.

If Virgin were to introduce Solitaire or Spider Solitaire, now that would keep me busy for hours!!!!!!

Anita

Ray&Sarah
29-01-2005, 18:40
I wanted to tick all of the above too, opted for watch a movie in the end.[msnsmile2]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
29-01-2005, 18:54
Watching movies does it for me.
Watched School of Rock 2 times last FEB flying on Virgin,and then watched it again on Delta,even though i had to pay to rent their headphoneshttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005129145319_headhphones.gif

John

Nostromo
29-01-2005, 19:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
I wanted to tick all of the above too, opted for watch a movie in the end.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

That's why I highlighted the words "most likely" in the question. :)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-01-2005, 19:38
Listen to my iPod whilst trying to get as much rest as possible for me.

caroline
29-01-2005, 20:02
Maybe we should have a poll for teh journey back and see what the difference is!

KJH
29-01-2005, 20:05
Most of the above, including going downstairs for a walk round the plane. Trying to entertain my 12 year old son. My girls do there own thing and are not a problem.

Cruella DeVilla
29-01-2005, 20:48
I love to people watch and read, oh and be a bad girl and drink champagne..I know it dehydrates you but I have at least one bottle, small one of course![beer]

Nostromo
29-01-2005, 21:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
Maybe we should have a poll for teh journey back and see what the difference is!
[/quote]

I don't think there will be much of a contest there. Most people will be depressed and feeling sorry for themselves for having to leave sunny Florida to return to the cold & wet UK.

steph_goodrum
29-01-2005, 22:45
I know it's sad but if the plane has the skymap on I have to look at that every half hour or so to see "are we nearly there yet?"

I used to like knitting as well as that was quite a good way to pass the time of course thanks to certain gentleman that's now banned, so usually end up either listening to cds or watching a movie on my daughters dvd player, if there's none on screen, or playing Tetris.

LiesaAnna
29-01-2005, 22:49
i voted read a book! well i try to, but end up people watching! and the skymap!
and just wishing the time away so we could get there quicker!!!!!!!

thanks you just put me back on the flight to florida for a few moments!!!![msncry]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
29-01-2005, 23:23
Oh,apart from movies i also watch the channel that shows you the distance,altitude,maps etchttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/200512919233_thumbs.gif

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005129192041_distance.jpg

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-01-2005, 23:38
Looks like a Lambourne departure from 26L at Gatwick if I am not mistaken [msnsmile]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ORLANDO_MAGIC
Oh,apart from movies i also watch the channel that shows you the distance,altitude,maps etchttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/200512919233_thumbs.gif

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005129192041_distance.jpg
[/quote]

ORLANDO_MAGIC
29-01-2005, 23:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Looks like a Lambourne departure from 26L at Gatwick if I am not mistaken [msnsmile]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Its a bit deceptive really because i was flying to Vegas and then on to Orlando a few days later thus the + 5,000 miles on show,but yesit was from Gatwick,South terminal[sporty]

blott
29-01-2005, 23:53
Isn't the plane pointing in the wrong direction?

linda allen
29-01-2005, 23:57
I do much the same as everyone else. Champagne is a must and lots of water. Before the children arrived it used to be Chess, now its entertaining them. I do love to do the Telegraph criptic crossword too, I never get the chance at home, too busy on the forum[msnwink]

Nostromo
30-01-2005, 00:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]

No. The 'great circle route' to the United States involves the plane usually taking off from LHR or LGW in a Northwesterly direction. This means that it will fly over the Midlands, Northern Wales and Northern part of Ireland before heading out over the ocean. This is not obvious on a flat Mercator's Map that we all use, with its severe distortion towards the poles. If you look at the route on a Globe, it will give a more realistic picture.:)

LiesaAnna
30-01-2005, 00:58
YES BRIGHTONS ON THE MAP!!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

ORLANDO_MAGIC
30-01-2005, 01:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nostromo
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
[/quote]

No. The 'great circle route' to the United States involves the plane usually taking off from LHR or LGW in a Northwesterly direction. This means that it will fly over the Midlands, Northern Wales and Northern part of Ireland before heading out over the ocean. This is not obvious on a flat Mercator's Map that we all use, with its severe distortion towards the poles. If you look at the route on a Globe, it will give a more realistic picture.:)
[/quote]

Your spot on Nos,but what i dont get is that when returning you fly direct from Orlando to London without heading North,thus the reason the inward journey is at least 30 minutes shorter[?]

John.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
30-01-2005, 01:19
I think you will find it goes pretty much the same route as the opposite way. It has to as that IS the most direct route.

The reason it is always quicker on the way home is because of the predominant direction of upper level winds at the heights the aircraft fly at. They flow from west to east so give the aircraft a tailwind advantage on the way home [msnsmile]

Your spot on Nos,but what i dont get is that when returning you fly direct from Orlando to London without heading North,thus the reason the inward journey is at least 30 minutes shorter[?]

John.
[/quote]

E. Cosgrove
30-01-2005, 03:00
I voted for watch a movie, but it really depends on the choice of movie and also how good the book is that I am reading at the time, usually it's a combination of both.

Nostromo
30-01-2005, 03:31
John is right about the West to East tailwinds affecting flight times across the northern Atlantic. Theoretically, a jet aircraft flying at 35,000 feet should take less time flying from East to West because of the rotation of the Earth and the fact that there is hardly any atmospheric 'drag' at that altitude. But this is more than 'compensated' by the aforementioned headwind effect at lower altitudes as during gradual climb to the service ceiling and the even more gradual descent.

It follows that with a non-pressurised plane like a DC-3, the difference in flight times becomes considerably more obvious, with the East to West flight taking even longer due to headwinds.

KJH
30-01-2005, 04:38
Yep I'll second that[msnscared][confused]

Nostromo
30-01-2005, 12:32
In case the terms 'headwind' and 'tailwind' seemed contradicting, the prevailing wind direction across the Northern Atlantic is usally West to East, making it a 'headwind' for a flight heading from the UK to the US and a 'tailwind' for the return journey.